You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Variable Font Support

2 minutes ago, Pauls said:

dont splash the cash just yet

Is that a hint of things to come?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

30 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeWonder said:

FontCreator is 200 bucks, and only Windows… Wonder if FontCreator work in CrossOver Mac edition?

The Home edition of FontCreator is only 50 bucks. Someone posted to the High-Logic Forums to say that they were successfully running FontCreator on Wine (specifically, the WineBottler combo) but that was more than a decade ago, so it make not work on recent versions of macOS.

There are several options for running Windows on a Mac, but they all require a Windows licence. And if you want to use an alternative to Boot Camp or VirtualBox, you’ll have to throw even more money at the problem.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

There are several options for running Windows on a Mac, but they all require a Windows licence.

Please see: https://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/fontcreator/tutorials/running-fontcreator-on-a-mac

Alfred spacer.png

34 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeWonder said:

If I understand you correct here, we could buy FontCreator, load our Variable Fonts there, “unlock” the hidden axes and then resave the fontfiles - then we freely could reveal whatever axes we want.

Is that correct?

FontCreator is 200 bucks, and only Windows… Wonder if FontCreator work in CrossOver Mac edition?

Sounds interesting, but a lot of work. Might be able to do that in XCode? I’ll have a look.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB. My GoTo design platform.

M2 Mac Mini. 24GB. LG 4K Monitor. + Samsung Monitor 2.

Windows 10 Toshiba. Windows 11 Parallels on Mac.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

@Affinity-Inspiration on YouTube.

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

Parallels runs on Mac and runs windows flawlessly. I’m running W11 on it. Just because I can.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

6 minutes ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

Parallels runs on Mac and runs windows flawlessly. I’m running W11 on it. Just because I can.

I see that your forum signature only mentions your iPad model. What are your Mac and PC specs? (I’m guessing that you need a pretty beefy Mac for a smooth experience with the Affinity apps running under Parallels Desktop.)

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

The Home edition of FontCreator is only 50 bucks. Someone posted to the High-Logic Forums to say that they were successfully running FontCreator on Wine (specifically, the WineBottler combo) but that was more than a decade ago, so it make not work on recent versions of macOS.

There are several options for running Windows on a Mac, but they all require a Windows licence. And if you want to use an alternative to Boot Camp or VirtualBox, you’ll have to throw even more money at the problem.

Thanks!

But, I'm already running 15 critical Win-apps on my MacBook Pro M1 thru CrossOver (doesn't demand a Win-license).

Apps like making genealogy researchXara Xtreme Studio, Tag'n'Rename etc... Not all apps we need is available on Mac...

Have you seen CrossOver?

https://www.codeweavers.com

Happy guy playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typographic, photographing, Color & forms, AND, old Synthesizers from the 1980-1990’s…

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021 connected to an 32” curved 5K external display, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015 - also an Lenovo iMac i7 clone with 24” touch screen and Windows 10…

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

I see that your forum signature only mentions your iPad model. What are your Mac and PC specs? (I’m guessing that you need a pretty beefy Mac for a smooth experience with the Affinity apps running under Parallels Desktop.)

My Mac is an M2 Mac Mini with 26GB RAM. A 4K Samsung monitor. It has a HD monitor as well, as a second screen. I have Parallels running Windows 11 on the Mac. It’s only problem is it won’t fetch Affinity updates. I have to do that by hand, but otherwise it runs fine. There is some issue between Parallels/Windows/Affinity auto updates that no one seems to looking at.

In general I use the Mac versions, and the iPad mini 6 mostly.

I also have an ancient Toshiba L630 running Windows 10, which does still run the Affinity apps, but very slowly. :-). It's just a test bed.

11 hours ago, kenmcd said:

In FontCreator you need to open the panel below what you see axes above.
Open Axis Properties - see image below where I have highlighted the setting.

So any idea why I can always see all 13 axes & some others can sometimes see them too?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

So any idea why I can always see all 13 axes & some others can sometimes see them too?

FWIW, I checked the Roboto Flex font file you uploaded and the other eight axes are shown as 'Hidden' so it's definitely not the font, having said that all axes are available when using the same font in other software but I can only assume that is because some software supports 'Additional Variations'...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

Mac. Different fonts, different results. It all looks good to me as that's as it should be. 

Screenshot2024-04-30at14_26_32.thumb.png.63bca18625aa547077230b859329460f.pngScreenshot2024-04-30at14_27_02.thumb.png.d3a538b67d77b41f52de74d8a8c30696.pngScreenshot2024-04-30at14_28_08.thumb.png.971ef1607debc604c058cd11d818384a.png

20 minutes ago, Hangman said:

FWIW, I checked the Roboto Flex font file you uploaded and the other eight axes are shown as 'Hidden' so it's definitely not the font, having said that all axes are available when using the same font in other software but I can only assume that is because some software supports 'Additional Variations'...

Where are they shown as hidden? Also, what other software are you using that offers all 13 axes?

Probably not relevant but I did a quick check in a Rich Text document in TextEdit version 1.15 on my Mac & that app does not support variable fonts at all. Pages.app supports the preset defaults but does not offer any axes for adjustment.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeWonder said:

If I understand you correct here, we could buy FontCreator, load our Variable Fonts there, “unlock” the hidden axes and then resave the fontfiles - then we freely could reveal whatever axes we want.

Is that correct?

Yes.

But it does appear (hinted) they may be enabling the option to view all axes. So wait a bit.

Also, if you have any experience with Python it is relatively easy to do - with zero cost.

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Where are they shown as hidden?

FontGoggles...

RobotoFlex.thumb.png.8ca3eb32c7df3bc05e550d0acab4aa37.png

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Also, what other software are you using that offers all 13 axes?

Webflow…

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Thought about this a bit...

You are on macOS - and the macOS font handling is being used. So it could be an odd interaction with that causing all the axes to show.

Are the only users who can see all the axes, including the "hidden" ones, all on macOS?

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

FontGoggles

FontGoggles is another variable font testing tool funded by Google Fonts. And they mention using it (in the issues tracker) all the time.

Unfortunately (for me) it is macOS-only.

I was a bit jealous when I saw 'FontGoggles' I was going to write 'Mac' on the front of my PC and see if I could download it!

However...There are lots of alternatives | resources 

https://variablefonts.io/variable-font-resources/

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 0.2463 (RC1)
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

FontGoggles...

RobotoFlex.thumb.png.8ca3eb32c7df3bc05e550d0acab4aa37.png

Webflow…

No. I’m on Mac. And I can only see the visible axes. Not the hidden ones.

Can’t seem to install variable fonts on the iPad?

7 minutes ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

Can’t seem to install variable fonts on the iPad?

Install them from the Affinity application Settings.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

1 hour ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

No. I’m on Mac. And I can only see the visible axes. Not the hidden ones.

If you mean in FontGoggles & have installed it (the FontGoggles.dmg is here), you should see on the left in the Variations tab, a "Show hidden axes" button. That will display all 13 axes, including the 8 normally hidden 'parametric' ones.

If you mean in any of the Affinity V5 betas, then for reasons as yet not completely understood some Mac users see only 5, some sometimes but not always see 13, & I (alone?) always see all 13.

Affinity Photo