You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity is joining the Canva family. RIP ?

1 minute ago, Aging Violinist said:

Is there still even a place to download older versions (v1)?

From where you purchased it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 minutes ago, Aging Violinist said:

I only see options to download V2 (presumably since that is what I have licensed).

If you didn’t purchase a version 1 licence, why would you expect to be able to download a usable version 1 product from anywhere? :/

14 minutes ago, Aging Violinist said:

And would a V2 license even work with V1?

In a word, no. Version 1 apps need product keys.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Although I purchased both v1 and v2 I would not be happy if I was forced to go back to using v1, because I could no longer reinstall and activate v2. I really think that, rather than promises, Serif should give us a way now to activate v2 without the need to go online!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Like many here I came to Affinity after I bailed from decades worth of Adobe use. I point blank refuse to use a subscription model for my tools. I've been using Affinty products happily since the begining and have gotten many colleauges switched over.

I'm nervous. I used Adobe for years .. they went subscription and I moved on, I used Hitfilm pro for years. They were bought and promised "They had no plans" to go down the subscription path. Within months they did just that. I now use Davinci Resolve. Which frankly is 10x better but I digress.

To cut a long story medium length. I just want Affinity to know that if you go down the subscription path for V3, which let's face it is what they plan otherwise they wouldn't have been so careful to only speak of V2, then I and all the people I know will move on to other software.

Of course you can end all this doom and gloom speak by categorically stating that Affinity products will ALLWAYS remain once off purchases. I really hope you do.

We'll see tomorrow when Disney announces they have acquired Canva.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

And just like that, uncertainty made it really difficult to continue recommending the Affinity software to friends and colleagues.

I switched from Adobe a couple of years ago. And even though it came with a few compromises, I felt happy to say farewell to their subscription-based model and a company that I didn't resonate with anymore.

Affinity felt like the perfect choice. I bought all 3 apps, even though I only needed Photo, just to show my support. It felt good to regain trust in a company with good values.

I know this was a very brief announcement from Serif, but it was enough to make me (and apparently many others) feel quite uncomfortable. Suddenly I don't know if I should start looking for alternatives right away, or wait a little bit to see if a much more comforting follow-up statement is coming that makes it 100% clear that the current Affinity spirit will continue far into the future.

The next move is Serif's/Affinity's.
I will act accordingly.

Still crossing my fingers for good things to continue.

3 hours ago, VectorVonDoom said:

v1 is always going to be fine activation wise as far as I'm aware as it just validates the serial number locally. v2 needs the activation server to still be up and running if you need to re-install on a new machine/os re-install.

Dumb question but if I redeem the upgrade offer now for V2, will I still be able to concurrently use V1? I remember getting bit by that in the past with other software, even if I was careful not to overwrite the earlier version with the new, sometimes it would deactivate your old product key.

5 hours ago, Bit Disappointed said:

We'll see tomorrow when Disney announces they have acquired Canva.

https://tracxn.com/d/companies/canva/__LHKOZhxQIkd1nKd00xe8ZiSIZ1WlxGLsiY4nuztOWOY/funding-and-investors

In 2022 May 30s, Bob Iger (Current Ceo of Disney) is listed as one of the "Angels" in the Investing rounds for Canva.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Time to form an open-source co-op, anyone? Ironically, I think many users otherwise opposed to subscription-based apps would be open to paying recurringly if the product cannot be sold to speculators.

First of all: I am not writing this out of anger or to "bash" Serif. On the contrary: If I didn't care about the programs AND the company, I would have just read and that's that. But since I have appreciated both the Affinity Suite and Serif for ages, I am writing because I am both concerned (very much so) and saddened by this development.

Saddening news and I am really devasted about it. I switched from Adobe's in$anity exactly 10 years ago and loved this company to death - even having used their Page Plus, Draw Plus, Web Plus etc. for years before the Affinity line was published.

Using the Affinity suite was (and for the moment: still is) great. 
However having been around for almost half a century and knowing how acquisitions - especially in the tech world - end up nearly all the time, I just can't see any other future than: V3 - subscription (why else would the FAQ include red flags like no changes at the moment and updates to V2). If Canva keeps the apps at all and not just "include" some of their most wanted aspects into their, well, "app beloved by millions and millions of users".

I'll keep an eye on how this whole situation unfolds.
However I will start with a *very* heavy heart to look for alternatives instead of going on a haul on their spring sale (which I would have, if there wasn't this bad news). This time and for the lack of alternatives in the Open Source area. I don't want to be caught off guard again if Canva "surprisingly" changes its mind and the monthly fee is advertised with the "nicest" PR bullsh*t bingo on the website.

I really really do hope that you, Serif, will, or better said: I really do hope that they/Canva will let you, Serif, really continue with what made your suite so unique AND affordable with a one-time-buy, which is why a lot of us left Adobe's subscription lunacy years ago.
However my experience tells me that all roads lead to compulsory subscriptions and milking the paying cattle to death.
Accompanied by horrible AI excesses, because that's the "hot sh*t" today.
Let's not forget: We're talking about Canva here.

Really, Serif (or Canva): Please proof wrong.
Please be the one exception to the rule. 
Just this one time (referring to the rule of predatory capitalism, not to the Serif team).

5 hours ago, BeckyM said:

Dumb question but if I redeem the upgrade offer now for V2, will I still be able to concurrently use V1? I remember getting bit by that in the past with other software, even if I was careful not to overwrite the earlier version with the new, sometimes it would deactivate your old product key.

There are no stupid questions!

Version 1 and version 2 are installed in separate program directories and can therefore be used side by side. 
The biggest disadvantage here is that you have to install assets and brushes twice, as both versions access different base directories.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

2 hours ago, Megnusin said:

Time to form a co-op, anyone?

Rule of Thumb;  Communications about such a topic should not be done here but anywhere else.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

4 hours ago, Megnusin said:

Time to form an open-source co-op, anyone? Ironically, I think many users otherwise opposed to subscription-based apps would be open to paying recurringly if the product cannot be sold to speculators.

There is at least one open source projects in the works:

https://graphite.rs

This is a shame, affinity designer was slow, it lacked some basic tools, but it was the solution to the tyranny of certain brands and that's why I trusted affinity, that's where it has to play a role! Young people will outgrow Canva and then flirt with Adobe, discovering that it is a money sink, and that is where Affinity comes into play, halfway between a toy and a professional tool, they have chosen to go down the path of the toy in Instead of fighting in the big leagues, which is why many of us have invested in Affinity... the niche is clear and exploitable! You could become the blender of graphic design, which I religiously pay for everything he contributes but if I'm bad for a month it's no drama...

Haha, clearly no hope.

I've bought Luxology Modo (3d) at early stage, perpetual license was their credo, nice team, great communication. They sold to Foundry, big CG company, with the exact same speech, almost word to word (really, i laught reading the CEO's text...). One year later : subscription. Two years later : Modo was almost killed by Foundry and is now barely alive...

I've bought ZBrush at early stage, perpetual license, free upgrades for years and years (incredible, by the way...). They sold to Maxxon, another big CG company. Well, do i need to tell the story ? You get it. (except Maxxon didn't kill it, at least)

I' m out of this business now, so no big deal for me, but i could bet my house on the licence policy's future... 

Sorry for you, pro guys.

31 minutes ago, Gep said:

Haha, clearly no hope.

I've bought Luxology Modo (3d) at early stage, perpetual license was their credo, nice team, great communication. They sold to Foundry, big CG company, with the exact same speech, almost word to word (really, i laught reading the CEO's text...). One year later : subscription. Two years later : Modo was almost killed by Foundry and is now barely alive...

I've bought ZBrush at early stage, perpetual license, free upgrades for years and years (incredible, by the way...). They sold to Maxxon, another big CG company. Well, do i need to tell the story ? You get it. (except Maxxon didn't kill it, at least)

I' m out of this business now, so no big deal for me, but i could bet my house on the licence policy's future... 

Sorry for you, pro guys.

I used to use Lightwave and almost moved across to Modo after LW stopped advancing. Now I know you said you were out of the game but if you still wanted something to keep your hand in or for personal projects I highly recommend Blender. It has come up in leaps and bounds the last couple of years and is currently better than Lightwave ever was. Also it has some fantastic sculpting tools that are supposedly coming very close to ZBrushes capabilities.

Contrary to us, I've seen that Canva users are generally enthusiast of the move. Even if I'm not totally sure they understand what the deal has brought them. There are those who are already asking if Affinity can be included in the web app…

Paolo

Adobe stocks were falling in the latest days. I see that the announcement has given them some breathing room.

image.thumb.png.31733c5bb7b23bc3c0aa1837a1f77ffb.png

(Just sort of kidding. Financial markets are always the last to acknowledge about real-world innovation).

EDIT: Uh-oh. This is what happened to the Adobe stocks after the solemn promise to never cancel the perpetual license of the Affinity apps:

image.thumb.png.2543781d3715c78971d53f3caa72c962.png

42 minutes ago, Gep said:

Haha, clearly no hope.

Sorry for you, pro guys.

and don't forget about Substance3D! Same story there......

11 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I really think that, rather than promises, Serif should give us a way now to activate v2 without the need to go online!

Definitely. Words are cheap ("profound gratitude for all of you who have been part of our story so far."). I want to be able to use my 'lifetime purchase' - with or without updates - on new devices, and not abandoned to the business model whims of a totally different company from the one I purchased it from.

I would never buy or use anything from Canva (I used to work in a printers and deal with clients Canva based artwork), but it seems that now I have.

If Serif really value their loyal customers, then offline activations for V2 should have already been in place before selling us off.

Otherwise - V2 refund please, and I'll go back to V1.

1 hour ago, Gep said:

There is one exception to this trend. (The first to introduce me to the world of 3D were Autodesk. We know which way they went) A great tool like the open source Blender, however, is still solidly on the creative side. We have to let go of the illusion that for-profit companies are our friends, no matter what charm offensive they stage. They will try to rope us in as franchisees. 

And off I am. I have enough of getting f***ed over by such aquisions. My last "no we will continue perpentual licenses, don't fear there will be no changes" has been Zbrush. Serif, or Canva - you just lost a customer.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity