You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Delete node added to right click menu

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: macOS and Windows

Very small addition, but the right click menu available when in node tool (or while holding cmd in pen tool) now has the additional option of deleting the node. Both delete methods are available from this menu - either standard delete, or "Fit to Curve" delete. The fit to curve option is the same result you get when pressing Alt+Delete.

image.png

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, JhonatanS said:

this seems to be more clean visually and modern look compared to the actual List Menu

I will have to disagree. Respectfully, of course.

That idea requires a lot more mouse movement, and the eyes need to look significantly further from the design to see all the options. And reading them is harder.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, Red Sands said:

Agree with Walt, and having to navigate around with your eyes looking for menu items that are mixed in with your perhaps very detailed design behind them would be like finding peanuts in a spaghetti dish.

Mmmmm.... Peanuts and Spaghetti... Bloody hell, still hours til lunch. [oh well emoticon]

43 minutes ago, JhonatanS said:

Shortcuts to be displayed like a "Pie" / radial menu, this seems to be more clean visually and modern look compared to the actual List Menu

Not a big fan of the current Modern here, seems to consist of "different for difference's sake". The last good looking "Modern" design style was Art Deco/Art Nouveau.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I will have to disagree. Respectfully, of course.

That idea requires a lot more mouse movement, and the eyes need to look significantly further from the design to see all the options. And reading them is harder.

Blender Implements the Pie option very successfuly and it has many options, basically you move the mouse in only 1 direction, no need to scroll down.

regard the mouse movement, from my experience, it doesn't take you too much efforts.

by the way, affinity iPad offer this option 

1 hour ago, JhonatanS said:

Shortcuts to be displayed like a "Pie" / radial menu, this seems to be more clean visually and modern look compared to the actual List Menu

Radial menus work great for pen / touch input, and they're not so bad when using a mouse either, but I don't think it should replace the traditional context menu. They're faster to work with once you gain the muscle memory, so I wouldn't be against them as an alternative to tool context menus.

Maybe you should create a separate feature request about it?

On 6/13/2023 at 2:13 AM, Ash said:

Very small addition, but the right click menu available when in node tool (or while holding cmd in pen tool) now has the additional option of deleting the node.

image.png

great, it would be very, very nice if you also try to implement the function of removing the node on one click or on double click, as suggested by TonyO in this old feature request.

Using the new Right Click Delete Node feature combined with the new Long Press feature results in the menu selection constantly jumping to Break Curve. Selecting the Node tool without using the Long Press feature works correctly...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

17 minutes ago, Gabe said:

This is expected. With a right click menu active, using the keyboard keys will navigate that menu. 

Hi @Gabe,

I'm not sure I follow... the issue here is that as you hover over the various options in the right-click context menu the selection is always trying to default to Break Curve instead of highlighting the option that the mouse is hovering over...

You can still correctly select the options in the context menu, this is simply to do with which item shows the blue highlight, i.e., when the mouse hovers over each respective item in the context menu, that should be the option showing the blue highlight as it would be for every other menu...

I have A selected as a long press option but regardless of the option the mouse hovers over in the context menu, Break Curve shows the Blue Highlight.

Surely that can't be right... :)

Note: Break Curve doesn't currently have a keyboard shortcut assigned.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

I'm not sure I understand your expectations. You hold down a key with a right click menu selected. It will auto-select an item in the list, and if you hover over a different option while that key is pressed, it will jump between the 2 options. That is standard macOS behaviour.

Interesting and not something I'd consciously noticed before re this being standard Mac behaviour, seems a bit lackadaisical of Apple but thanks for the clarification... :)

I would bump the idea for a double click to delete a node. It's keyboard free, works great in Corel Draw, there is no function assigned to a double click on a node, and it's unlikely to be a gesture people would do by mistake. Win win win win. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

Just now, Red Sands said:

I would like that kind of double click on a node to be configurable - I would prefer toggle node type but fully understand why some would like delete. I could easily live with only delete as well. 

No designer would ever complain about more options! I also like the idea of being able to choose the double click on node function. I just hate to see a perfectly good gesture wasted, because the double click is going unused as of now, haha. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

42 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

I kinda like the Alt + click pop delete we can do with guides. Doing that with nodes would be sweet.

Is alt-click a default in Affinity to remove something? Alt + click? It should work the same and predictably across the three programs - and preferably the de-facto standard within related programs or the operating system.

I haven't used the programs enough yet to have that overview.

12 minutes ago, Barry Newman said:

Is alt-click a default in Affinity to remove something? Alt + click? It should work the same and predictably across the three programs - and preferably the de-facto standard within related programs or the operating system.

I haven't used the programs enough yet to have that overview.

Alt + Drag on object layers usually creates duplicates. Or if grabbing and moving a node, Alt ignores snapping. Remembering that now (because it's become second nature), it will break that particular functionality. But I do like the idea of being able to one click away the nodes as desired. Edit: As it were, I select multiple nodes as needed and just hit Delete.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 2:13 AM, Ash said:

Very small addition, but the right click menu available when in node tool (or while holding cmd in pen tool) now has the additional option of deleting the node.

image.png

I just noticed that if I delete a node from the middle of a curve while holding down the Alt key, the curve doesn't deform.

Is there a way that this can be done with this new option to remove nodes?

Thanks!

• Staff
On 7/8/2023 at 7:36 PM, Barry Newman said:

No - not really, generally delete is handled with the delete key (or as a button on certain panels, menus, etc.) but that only works when something is selectable. So there are some examples where we do use alt + click to delete for non-selectable items, such as guides and node handles in the node and pen tool.

Managing Director

• Staff
5 hours ago, Red Sands said:

Not meant as scope-creep, but an idea for the backlog

No worries - we've got a few bits now on the list for node tool hopefully for 2.3 and perhaps some more discussion around the tool can happen outside of this specific feature at that point.

Managing Director

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 7/24/2023 at 8:16 AM, Affitoom said:

Is there a way that this can be done with this new option to remove nodes?

We have now added this as an additional menu option ("Fit to curve delete") in the right click menu in the latest build.

Managing Director