You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides improvements

• Staff
On 2/22/2023 at 5:28 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

When clicking on a guides measurements in guide manager, it would be really helpful if guides where nudge-able with the arrow keys

In the latest beta when you click on a value in the guides manager you should be able to use up and down arrows to nudge the value, as well as mouse scroll wheel. As with other fields holding alt will change nudge / scroll increments to 0.1, and holding shift will change to 10x

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

@Ash, as far as I can tell, having tested this, up and down arrows to nudge the value is working as expected but I can't get mouse scroll to work when using the old magic mouse...

Thinking outloud, it would be handy to have a 1x option as well since there is a bit if a chasm between 0.1 and 10x, so maybe Cmd nudge/scroll moves in 1x increments?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Hangman said:

it would be handy to have a 1x option as well since there is a bit if a chasm between 0.1 and 10x, so maybe Cmd nudge/scroll moves in 1x increments?

Isn't that just no modifier behaviour already?

Increments:

0.1 - hold alt

1.0 - hold nothing

10.0 - hold shift

?

Managing Director

Interestingly, I was able to create a guide just by clicking a ruler some moments ago. Now it does not happen anymore. I hope that was temperamental. It wouldn’t make sense if we could create a guide by a single click on a ruler. 😲

Here’s a video with sound, such that you hear the clicking noise. Internal trackpad of MacBook Pro 16'' 2019 Intel.

16 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Here’s a video with sound, such that you hear the clicking noise.

Your video features long clicks, each adding a guide. A guide is added under the ruler when you long click, but not added when you regular click. I don't know whether that's a deliberate feature of the apps, but it's not new and was happening back in the version 1 apps (on macOS at least).

Still, I believe what I said earlier in the thread remains a UX problem. As far as I can see, that wasn’t changed in the new version. So I would advocate for the following principle:

If Preview Mode is active, only the actual creation of a guide (be it through click and drag or through long click) should switch Preview Mode off. A single, short click on the ruler should not affect Preview Mode settings.

🙂

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Isn't that just no modifier behaviour already?

Erm, yes, why was I even expecting a modifier key to do that... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

15 hours ago, Ash said:

Increments:

0.1 - hold alt

1.0 - hold nothing

10.0 - hold shift

It would be very useful if the Alt for small increments could be applied to other shifts as well. For example, when moving shapes, lines, nodes, etc.

• Staff
3 hours ago, bures said:

It would be very useful if the Alt for small increments could be applied to other shifts as well. For example, when moving shapes, lines, nodes, etc.

Do they not already? On any value box (e.g. width in transform panel), then hover mouse scroll should change value (or if given focus up / down arrow keys to nudge), and the same alt and shift modifiers should work as described here?

Managing Director

4 minutes ago, Ash said:

Do they not already? On any value box (e.g. width in transform panel), then hover mouse scroll should change value (or if given focus up / down arrow keys to nudge), and the same alt and shift modifiers should work as described here?

This works when the relevant transform value has focus but, for me, this doesn't work in the transform panel when using a hover mouse scroll, in that instance it only works as per no modifier key with 1.0 value changes and it's the same for the new guides feature, again this only works when the guide has focus and not at all when using mouse scroll...

On 3/17/2023 at 2:12 PM, Ash said:

1. Select shape.
2. Press the cursor arrow. The object will move.
3. Press Shift + Cursor Arrow. The object moves more.
4. Press Alt + cursor arrow. The object does not move. Nothing happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
20 hours ago, Red Sands said:

One little treat I've missed since v1 is that you can get quick access to some guide features via ruler.

Sorry - are you saying you used to be able to get some of these options via right click in V1? As far as I'm aware the only right click on ruler option we've ever had is to change document units by right clicking on the "mm" (or whatever your current unit is) in the top left of the rulers? 

Managing Director

• Staff
19 hours ago, Red Sands said:

Double clicking a guide with the move tool activates the node tool; I am not sure that is expected behaviour. I would prefer that it opens the guide manager

What OS is this? Double clicking a guide should be opening guide manager in all cases (and not switching to node tool either). 

Managing Director

On 3/16/2023 at 1:31 PM, Ash said:

In the latest beta when you click on a value in the guides manager you should be able to …holding alt will change nudge / scroll increments to 0.1, and holding shift will change to 10x

Is this behavior also supposed to work on iPadOS when using the new 4-way, on-screen, “thumb-stick” modifier keys?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff
3 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Is this behavior also supposed to work on iPadOS when using the new 4-way, on-screen, “thumb-stick” modifier keys?

Unfortunately not - we actually need to hook up all controls on iPad to be able to modify increments on drag like you can on desktop. That will be in a future update.

Managing Director

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 11:04 AM, Ash said:

Think double clicking guide to go straight to guide options is a great shout - we can have a look at that.

In terms of changing guide colour this will likely have to come in a future update, though are interested in feedback around importance of setting guide colour individually vs it just being a global setting for all guides (well you would effectively have three colours to set - normal guides, column guides and margins),

There are colour blind people, and maybe colour changing would help them see the fine guide lines better. I have often also thought a small node off canvas and near the ruler; maybe off set by 10-20 pixels from the ruler or edge of workspace would also help people with poorer vision locate guides. The node could be distinguishable from curve nodes by being a diamond shape and would also be the same colour as the guides, it would also be optional for those with clearer eyesight to turn off.

I know there is the ruler marker but a small node is also a big help. 
image.png.6f7e70f0103ddf559994972b3fc43cde.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Thanks for these suggestions - guide colour is not something we are going to get in 2.1 (we are basically feature complete for 2.1 now), but will definitely look at doing it in a future update. Having angled guides / more complex objects as guides is also on a radar for a future update for sure.

Managing Director

• 1 month later...

Suggestions for the Guide Manager:

1. When clicking the + icon to create a new guide, have a dialog pop up with a field active/ready to enter a measurement; type Enter/Return to close the dialog and add the guide.

IMHO this is logical and saves time, especially for complex documents where many guides are required. Currently, clicking + automatically adds a new guide in the middle of the page, which is almost never what's needed. So the workflow is:

• click +
  • double click the value of the new guide
  • enter a value
  • repeat for each new guide needed

If the + could be accessible by keyboard shortcut, major productivity bonus! (Workflow: shortcut, number, enter)

2. Allow the ability to save guide presets. I'd consider this a nice addition, but very low on the list of priorities.

Really appreciate the changes and additions so far. Guide color will be a great addition when it happens, as will the angled/complex guides!