You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.3)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Please Note: We will do our utmost to fix anything that emerges as quickly as possible, but we just wanted you to understand that for production work we would recommend using the Mac App Store version until this beta has been validated for a few weeks.

Notable changes:

- Reintroduced translations and added Italian, Japanese and Portuguese (Brazil): These do not have translated help files yet. Please understand that we are just starting out with our Japanese support so there are many things we need to change in the application itself to support Japanese properly, so please be gentle! (and if you can help, please drop us a line!)

- Fix for exports failing

- User-definable precision for different unit types (in preferences)

- Nudging works correctly in Node Tool

- PSD export of slices

- Added 'Insertion Mode' options to the Layer menu so you can bind these to shortcut keys

- Improvements to CMYK PDF export

- Numerous other improvements

Great being able to attach shortcuts zu Insertion modes.

However, wouldn’t it save us all one click per pasting action if the insertion mode buttons/menu entries wouldn’t just select the mode of pasting but actually insert the object? As it is now every insertion mode aside from the default mode requires two actions (select mode plus paste) and selected insertion modes revert to default after one paste operation anyway.

Also, is there any difference between “inserting” and “pasting”? If not, why not just call the three special modes “Paste inside”, “Paste behind” and “Paste at the top”, put it in the Edit menu right beneath “Paste Style” and call it a day? “Paste Inside” is already there and is the equivalent to “Insert inside the selection” anyway. I think this could be de-confused.

@evtonic3,

It works exactly like the Insert Target section on the Persona Toolbar (on the right - the white circle / blue square icons). But since it's now a menu command you can assign custom shortcuts to those functions, something that wasn't possible before.

I am behind the times I guess on this one. Would you explain this altogether? I have no clue what this is. Please give examples if possible.

Oops, what happen’d to my rulers …  :unsure:

EDIT This issue seemed to be transitory … extremely strange, I can’t reproduce it no more. So glad, I caught it on tape … feel like a UFO hunter right now … I just remember I played around with the fantastic new unit type customisation in the preferences, and after that it was gone … does that make sense?  :blink:

Rulers.mov

Oops, what happen’d to my rulers …  :unsure:

EDIT This issue seemed to be transitory … extremely strange, I can’t reproduce it no more. So glad, I caught it on tape … feel like a UFO hunter right now … I just remember I played around with the fantastic new unit type customisation in the preferences, and after that it was gone … does that make sense?  :blink:

I'm experiencing the same issue, but haven't got it to go away. 

• Staff

Great being able to attach shortcuts zu Insertion modes.

However, wouldn’t it save us all one click per pasting action if the insertion mode buttons/menu entries wouldn’t just select the mode of pasting but actually insert the object? As it is now every insertion mode aside from the default mode requires two actions (select mode plus paste) and selected insertion modes revert to default after one paste operation anyway.

Also, is there any difference between “inserting” and “pasting”? If not, why not just call the three special modes “Paste inside”, “Paste behind” and “Paste at the top”, put it in the Edit menu right beneath “Paste Style” and call it a day? “Paste Inside” is already there and is the equivalent to “Insert inside the selection” anyway. I think this could be de-confused.

Insertion modes aren't just about pasting - they're about what happens with the next object you create (whether that's from using the tools to create a new object, or just simply pasting an object) :)

Insertion modes aren't just about pasting - they're about what happens with the next object you create (whether that's from using the tools to create a new object, or just simply pasting an object) :)

Hi Matt,

thanks for explaining. I had the vague suspicion I was missing something here …

Matthias

Hello, first of all thanks for the update guys! this software is better and better each day :)

I want to tell you there is a small bug on the slice resolution export:

- Select a slice, check '1x' and press 'export selection', this action will export the current slice at '2x' and '3x'

- Do the same but this time check all the resolution options and nothing will be exported

- Check both '2x' and '3x', and you will get the slice at '1x'  

@celliott80, pmi

As far as I remember, I also played around with the document setup, before the ruler issue disappeared. You could try to create a new document, go to document setup, and change the document units … just play around a bit … maybe that helps …  :unsure:

I am really sorry that I did not pay more attention to what I did … now I see, that this would have been helpful.  :(

Ouch. You have some massive Studio bugs to iron out.

When docking some of the panels, like Brushes, the app crashes. It did so, I believe, on the last beta as well.

Now, when undocking the Character panel separator, the app also crashes (this one, unlike the other, I could reproduce 100% of the time). So, what did I come up with? Instead of undocking it individually, I undocked its containing group altogether (that actually worked) and undocked the remaining separators until I only had the Character panel floating (which was my intent).

Guess what, now I got AD stuck in a loop; all my heretofore docked panels now appear floating a bit to the left of the center of the screen when opening AD (check the enclosed screenshot: post-440-0-19169000-1443137484_thumb.png), and it crashes a few seconds afterwards. Great, off I go about resetting its preferences… :\

(I should add that I am testing the pt-BR localisation, and that the Character and Paragraph panels do seem to be untranslated yet, by the way…)

Ok, guys, HELP!!!

AD Beta is now utterly stuck when it comes to preferences. They produce no immediate effect (Gamma UI and Background Grey Level, for instance), and they don't stick (both the main preferences and the panel positions). Changing UI language doesn't work either.

The only thing I did was trash the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta container in ~/Library/Containers. I mean, that should be the new method of resetting MAS apps' preferences, right?

I am so confused right now. I thought this should be as easy as trashing .plists. So much for being a savvy Mac user…  :angry:

Anyway, I'll try and restore the preferences from the last beta via Time Machine and will keep you posted.

Update #2: I've restored the Library container from the 20h snapshot, way before even installing the new beta, and I've got AD Beta stuck in that loop again (yes, with the pallettes in the same position as in that screenshot). Since Time Machine doesn't actually do time travel, and I don't expect it to be meddling with older backups, either, it couldn't have retroactively pushed the latest changes to that particular snapshot.

Therefore, Troubleshooting 101 tells me that the pallette position must be stored elsewhere in my system and is probably what's wreaking havoc. Could you give me some pointers as to where it is, so I can reset it and sort out this mess?

Update #3: After erasing both Library containers (the Beta one and the MAS release one), restoring the Beta to v1.3.5.2 and rebooting, the Preferences were responsive again. Full of confidence, I decided to, once again, rearrange the panels to my liking. Upon restarting, to check whether the preferences stuck or not, I got v1.3.5.2 (not the most recent one) trapped in that loop as well, with the exact same look as in the screenshot.

Guys, this is a terrible user experience, even for Beta testers. You absolutely MUST implement a Preferences/Studio hard-reset of some sort to fix this kind of mess (yes, do take a page from Adobe's playbook if you have to; even if they do use an obscure and convoluted key combination, the fact is that it saved me and my colleagues a lot of trouble many times in the past). I'm going crazy here!!

• Staff

Hi JGD,

Just close the application then click to run it up again and immediately hold down Ctrl - this brings up a dialog that allows you to reset everything. Select all and reset and it should be fixed. I don't know why you've encountered these problems though, so we need to figure it out.... sorry :(

Matt

• Staff

Slices exporting results are inverted. (1.3.5.3)

I have to select 2x and 3x check boxes in order to export only 1x files.

Hi predick,

Can I ask what dpi your document is please - it would help us with trying to debug what's happening :)

Thanks,

Matt

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.