You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Node Tool, Click+RightMouse is mechanically difficult

When using the Node Tool, the bottom information line lists "Click+RightMouse to smooth node," but it feels needlessly difficult to accomplish. The user must either click+rightclick perfectly simultaneously, or rightclick and hold then left click. Unfortunately, rightclicking first (which would be easier) brings up the rightclick menu, which blocks then blocks the cursor from targeting the intended node. Meanwhile, attempting to click at the same time is finicky; if the user clicks either mousebutton even slightly before the other, it doesn't work. Either of two changes could improve usability here: setting the rightclick menu to appear on button release rather than on click, or allowing the combination leftclick and hold + rightclick to do it.

I hope that made sense. I've been up all night and I'm kind of punchy.

• 3 months later...

+1!

Every click combination that involves left AND right mouse button at the same time should be changed! (There are a few others, like resizing the brush in AP, moving an object by it's origin in AD, or toggling "intersect with selection marquee"). Requested this a long time ago already.

Worse, when using a Wacom tablet, working the left mouse button (which is a tap with the pen tip) and right MB (can be on the rocker switch) together, becomes a fumble fest.

On top of that, the sequence of which mouse button has to be released first plays a role, too! (The fact that interactive zoom is only invoked by SPACE+CTRL, not vice versa, has been criticized numerous times).

I really don't understand why Affinity sticks so stubbornly to nonsense like that, bright as they are most places. Especially when it would be such a simple fix.

• 1 year later...

This is so annoying. The worst combination of keys is to click left and right mouse buttons simultaneously because it almost always brings up the right-click menu or doesn't work because the keys aren't pressed exactly at the same time. Even if it may take time to find a fix to this, does someone know how to assign a differnt key instead of this awful combination? I didn't find a way around in the shortcuts menu because this simply isn't a shortcut.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:08 PM, CJ Randolph said:

When using the Node Tool, the bottom information line lists "Click+RightMouse to smooth node," but it feels needlessly difficult to accomplish. The user must either click+rightclick perfectly simultaneously, or rightclick and hold then left click. Unfortunately, rightclicking first (which would be easier) brings up the rightclick menu, which blocks then blocks the cursor from targeting the intended node. Meanwhile, attempting to click at the same time is finicky; if the user clicks either mousebutton even slightly before the other, it doesn't work. Either of two changes could improve usability here: setting the rightclick menu to appear on button release rather than on click, or allowing the combination leftclick and hold + rightclick to do it.

You are totally right.

Take a wild guess - did a professional, educated user experience designer stick so stubbornly to this nonsense over the years?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

This makes the "make node smooth" feature accessible only by clicking on the corresponding button on the Context Toolbar when using the Node Tool. 

The Click + RightMouse feature is totally irrelevant. It's technically difficult to achieve because of the two mouse buttons need to be clicked simultaneously. Not to mention the right-click menu that shows up.

If Click + Alt makes node sharp-edged, why not have Click + Control make a node smooth? Or vise versa. The idea is important. Whatever combination that includes a keyboard button instead of two mouse buttons is acceptable.

That would make the "make edge smooth" much more accessible, just like the "force node into sharp point" feature.

Do people here agree?

14 hours ago, LogosByDim said:

This makes the "make node smooth" feature accessible only by clicking on the corresponding button on the Context Toolbar when using the Node Tool. 

The Click + RightMouse feature is totally irrelevant. It's technically difficult to achieve because of the two mouse buttons need to be clicked simultaneously. Not to mention the right-click menu that shows up.

If Click + Alt makes node sharp-edged, why not have Click + Control make a node smooth? Or vise versa. The idea is important. Whatever combination that includes a keyboard button instead of two mouse buttons is acceptable.

That would make the "make edge smooth" much more accessible, just like the "force node into sharp point" feature.

Do people here agree?

Click + Alt could simply be a toggle type node like in other programs. No need to make it more complicated than that - and easy to remember (important). 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Using Right-Mouse button on Windows is ridiculous. It's used for menus. I've looked and can not find anywhere in Affinity apps or in Windows settings to disable the Right-Mouse menu option.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 1/20/2022 at 11:49 PM, Ron P. said:

Using Right-Mouse button on Windows is ridiculous. It's used for menus.

Unfortunately, Affinity applications often do not respect and do not follow the standards and customs of this OS.
For example, Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert for copying and pasting, thoroughly use of hint / tooltip, consistent use of the context menu (mouse right click), which would really adapt to the context, etc. Windows application version is secondary development branch (although paradoxically some features are only available in Win).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 9 months later...

+1

Argument for lack of modifier keys in windows is bunk IMHO. A certain competitor's app hasn't ever caused me this issue, regardless of platform as I bounced back and froth from Mac to PC. We lived for years with window's apps being "held back" because apple was late to have a middle mouse and right mouse button, but it never got in my way outside some 3D apps.

This is esp. hard for me given I use a vertical mouse due to RSI issues. I loath going up and having to use the buttons too as it's soooo much slower.

I mean...why not Jowday's idea, or if not that alt+right click, or alt+shift+left click or...anything other than this current weird combo! LOL! 

Can you even map the current one to a wacom tablet's buttons?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/21/2019 at 11:08 AM, CJ Randolph said:

I hope that made sense. I've been up all night and I'm kind of punchy.

This is a huge difficulty for the Ellipse Gradient Tool. I was just trying to do Ctrl+Right Click but didnt realize I also had to left click. Once you know the rule the tooltip makes sense but I was veryconfused for about 10 minutes of searching not understanding why it wouldn't work.

Also, I think Double Click + Right Click (to reset fill scale) might actually be impossible.. 

Please just let us customize the modifier keys in settings 😭

1 hour ago, evnb said:

This is a huge difficulty

Depending on your hardware, it can be more than a huge difficulty! On a Windows laptop that I used to use regularly, the ‘mouse’ buttons are below the opposite ends of a single piece of plastic (so it’s like a seesaw) which means that it’s physically impossible to press both buttons at the same time.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)