jclounge

Photo and Designer: Seamless tiles and infinite canvas

Hi all, I just had a quick look at photo beta and it looks great!

There are two features supported in Krita which I think would make fantastic additions to both photo and designer:

1: Tile mode (or "wrapping" mode). In this mode you can see the image/canvas repeated at least once beyond each edge and corner, and you can just draw off the edge and the drawing automatically wraps around to the other side. Ideally most of the built in effects and filters would also work properly with tiled mode, such as blurs, bevels, shadows, etc. This would be superb for making or working with seamlessly tiled backgrounds and game textures.

2: Infinite canvas. When you find yourself running out of space at one edge of the canvas, this feature would make it very easy to extend the canvas just in that direction.

Cheers,

Jules

+infinity for seamless tiles. That would be a great feature for us game designers and 3D texture artists. I would love to see seamless tiles in Photo and Designer alike.

JCLounge-- if you want to do an infinite canvas the way you described; in Photo you can use the crop tool then drag it outside the canvas area it will extend the canvas. 

Hi MEB thanks for your help. I tried the method you suggested, gradient tool-->bitmap, but the software crashed. I tried several times with different jpg images and crashed every time :(  

In my previous post I should have said that I want the ability to create tileable textures. To create them I would need a specific offset tool. My current method in photoshop is to create a document 400x400 then offset 200x200 and blend the area where the edges meet. I tried to use the AP mirror tool, but wasn't able to achieve the same results. 

I should probably post this in the feature request section. The mirror tool seems to be an intuitive place for me to look for an offset operation. If it already exists please let me know. Thanks again.

+1 for seamless texture editing in AP and AD. (Vector tiling would be cool, too.)

The affine filter sort of does the job, but going back and forth, retiling/resetting the offset and

rescaling/checking how it tiles is really cumbersome. Try making a high resolution tree bark texture tileable.

While a nice outcome is perfectly achievable, much of the effort goes into fiddling with the affine filter.

Krita's approach reminds me of the live filters we have.

Here is how it's "supposed to" work in Krita. Unfortunately, the mac version just doesn't work properly.

+1 for seamless tile creation in Affinity Designer in PixelPersona. I got so many fancy brushes now and making tileable textures with them would be absolutely brilliant. I did this in Krita with it's Wrap Mode, absolutely astonishing results there, but the brushes there are pretty limited (obviously because it's 100% free). You can download other sets or make your own brushes, but it's tedious and needs time. Having such feature out of the box in Affinity Designer would speed up Game Developing. But I guess in the end, I still have to use Substance Designer 5, but it will look more generic this way. Well, I can still dream and try to resurrect this thread ;P

It would be good if there was a function that split an image into quarters, then swapped each quarter with their diagonal neighbour. So you end up with the 4 joining corners meeting in the middle of the image. This area can then be worked on. Activating the function again would toggle everything back. A tile preview window would also provide live feedback of how the tiling would look.

Just use the Offset or Affine filter with 50% for both horizontal and vertical values...

It would be good if there was a function that split an image into quarters, then swapped each quarter with their diagonal neighbour. So you end up with the 4 joining corners meeting in the middle of the image. This area can then be worked on. Activating the function again would toggle everything back. A tile preview window would also provide live feedback of how the tiling would look.

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

This would be nice, too:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ8SgTiZHJY"

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

Just use the Offset or Affine filter with 50% for both horizontal and vertical values...

That works great for me.

Thanks.

High-End Photographic Prints

This would be nice, too:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ8SgTiZHJY"

Can't we already do that with symbols in AD 1.5?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

the best solution for this problem really is Krita´s wrap mode. Hit W and see your texture tile to infinity. Affinity and infinity would have so much in common...

On 12/24/2016 at 9:27 AM, Alfred said:

Can't we already do that with symbols in AD 1.5?

Sorry to resurrect this old thread... I was hoping to be able to do this, but no, symbols are not quite enough.  I tried setting up a 3x3 grid of symbols.  As expected, the paint does not "wrap" when you paint across the symbols.  I want this feature soooo bad.

Having no tiling view is a great shame for game and web development.

This week I found myself having to exit Affinity Photo to work on tiles. Symbols are a clumsy workaround.