You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 minutes ago, Chills said:

So what they, in all good faith, plan to do today may be changed due to something Adobe, Microsoft, Apple, Coral, or even Monotype for that matter,  does next month.

Of course, it could go the other way, too. Canva is a very aggressive company with deep pockets, & a demonstrated ability to grow very quickly by discovering & exploiting underserved market segments.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That's how I interpret it too. In particular, I do not think shaping means making a commitment to sharing any of the ongoing development work with the user community.

Yet if Canva Affinity chose to do that, then that would be a significant change. A press release about it might well get lots of good publicity and that might help the business. It would put Canva Affinity into a leading league of its own and Canva Affinity could lead with innovation and development in the industry sector.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Yet if Canva Affinity chose to do that, then that would be a significant change.

Doing that would incur the same problems that prompted Serif to quit sharing road maps with users years ago. That has not changed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

Doing that would incur the same problems that prompted Serif to quit sharing road maps with users years ago. That has not changed.

What problems please? I either never knew of that sharing or I have forgotten.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 minutes ago, William Overington said:

What problems please?

Do a forum search on "road map" & see for yourself.

Affinity Photo 

One key aspect, for me, is that it would seem that a lot of people think that there is or must be a level of "certainty" about the future of X or Y software in general, while that has really never been the case, with any brand or vendor. The situation with the 4 pledges is just like what we have had in  the past with most companies, whether they made pledges or not, or roadmaps, or etc. As history later on demonstrated constantly, stuff happens even with the industry standards.  People probably want more certainty (or a false sensation of security) than it could be real, in the modern scenarios with tech. For many things currently going on in the IT world, art, and other areas, we might need to remember that all is always changing and requiring adaptation from us.  Several of my paid main tools stopped to be produced anymore (and not to be forked, as most were proprietary software), both in 2D and 3D. This will keep happening just like when a hammer in your garage breaks and you have to replace it with a new one (that's really how I see it now. 30 years ago it was different, yep). But following the analogy, while the old hammer keeps working, I'm gonna use it as long as it lasts. Not figuratively speaking, some of my physical tools never needed a single replacement. So, there's that.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

13 hours ago, R C-R said:

Do a forum search on "road map" & see for yourself.

Well, I did the search but have not found out.

William

14 hours ago, William Overington said:

Well, no matter how willing they are to be guided by our ideas and feedback, they cannot be guided by our ideas and feedback if we don't provide them with any ideas and feedback.

Serif has had the Feedback section of these forums for years now, William. And many users have contributed their ideas there over the years. I think they just expect us to keep doing that, using the existing mechanisms they already have provided.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

I was playing the My Mix video sequence on YouTube while eating breakfast.

An advert for Affinity played.

"Hey Hey" music and fast moving images, not at all like the ambience when I am using Affinity products.

Perhaps there could be an advert of someone gently painting a landscape while music like this is playing.

William

6 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Perhaps there could be an advert of someone gently painting a landscape while music like this is playing.

Why not someone gently painting a picture of a trout? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Because such pictures are usually of a trout removed from its habitat and harmed. 

If you have in mind a picture of the trout swimming in clear water then fine.

William

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif has had the Feedback section of these forums for years now, William. And many users have contributed their ideas there over the years. I think they just expect us to keep doing that, using the existing mechanisms they already have provided.

Well, there could be a new ambience to how things are done, seizing the opportunity that the new ownership could bring. Or that opportunity could be grumbled away.

William

11 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Perhaps there could be an advert of someone gently painting a landscape while music like this is playing

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I always associate the ’Trout’ quintet with the iconic performance where the cellist was Jacqueline du Pré, but it’s interesting to hear another version where the cellist is Jane Salmon. :D

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

Well, I did the search but have not found out.

You seem not to have looked very hard. See for example https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/120067-19x-future-development-plan-road-map/#comment-654005

but there are many others.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

This is going way off-topic of this thread and posting music videos does not help (or contribute) either on the topic. Please stay more focused. Thank you.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

38 minutes ago, dominik said:

This is going way off-topic of this thread and posting music videos does not help (or contribute) either on the topic. Please stay more focused. Thank you.

d.

Well, there is at least a connection between Canva and painting on a canvas! ;)

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Well, there is at least a connection between Canva and painting on a canvas! ;)

I think one way to deal with this topic is to take it with humour 😃. Thanks for looking at the bright side. Damn, I'm going off-topic myself.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, dominik said:

d.

Pledge 4 wants ideas and feedback.

So I posted feedback about the advertising of Affinity products.

So in the middle of gentle music is this advertising video.

Do those pictures actually represent use of an Affinity product?

William

Pledge 4 wants ideas and feedback.

We have been through this many times now. That pledge is about users helping to shape the future of Affinity's development. It has nothing to do with their advertising or marketing strategy. But if you really think it is something they would find useful (as has been mentioned many times now!) the place for that is in the (duh!) feedback forums, not here!

Do those pictures actually represent use of an Affinity product?

Can you not see the toolbars, studio panels, etc. in the video?

Affinity Photo 

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

We have been through this many times now. That pledge is about users helping to shape the future of Affinity's development. It has nothing to do with their advertising or marketing strategy. But if you really think it is something they would find useful (as has been mentioned many times now!) the place for that is in the (duh!) feedback forums, not here

Pledge 4 uses the word "future". it does not use the word "development".

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Can you not see the toolbars, studio panels, etc. in the video?

Well, seeing your comment, I ran the video again, and yes, I can just about make them out, knowing what they are already from using the software. But I had not noticed them before, all I noticed was the rapidly moving images.

William

Just now, William Overington said:

Pledge 4 uses the word "future". it does not use the word "development".

Nevertheless, it has been explained many times that they are simply saying they will take into account user feedback when shaping the future of the Affinity product. That has nothing to do with how or where it is advertised.

Regardless, it is irrelevant to the fact that you have posted your feedback in the wrong forum.

Affinity Photo 

Now that I've read the announcement with a clear mind, I’m hopeful that these apps will continue to improve and remain an essential aspect of my daily life, just as they have been for all these years. If they opt to align with Canva instead of being positioned as professional tools, then we may need to seek out an alternative. Hopefully, there will always be a contingent of developers advocating for the option to purchase an app outright rather than being forced to rent it. Let's remain optimistic for Serif. Perhaps they will surprise us with amazing features that will be so impressive, we'll be proud of choosing them from the very beginning.

majestic-lion-with-golden-mane-looking-proud-regal-against-clear-blue-sky_14117-55374.jpg

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

6 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

If they opt to align with Canva instead of being positioned as professional tools...

Could you explain a bit more about what you mean by "align with Canva"? Do you maybe mean adding some of the features the Canva online platform includes to Affinity, removing any of the things already present in the Affinities, switching to a 'freemium' plan like Canva offers for its online stuff, or something else?

Affinity Photo 

In the past software was developed with the focus on providing a service to the customer, without ulterior motives, companies benefited merely by selling a product.

Now software is developed to provide some use but the companies have ulterior motivation, not just sell a product but, force users into a relationship that that keeps on giving to the company. They accomplish this in numerous ways, including captive audience for advertising, regular payments ie subscriptions, locking users into cloud storage plans. 

Gone are the days when purchasing software is something that users can benefit from for an extended period of time, without maintaining connections in one form or another to the developer. Now, vendors have business models where they reap the benefits whenever the product is accessed, or in some cases whenever the computer is turned on.

All the big software companies do this, why would Canva be different?

Serif was a cute non-invasive company striving to deliver a great product.

Affinity products will now probably slowly evolve to follow pack.