You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush panel improvements

1 hour ago, GRAFKOM said:

In the Beta beta (1709) version of Windows Publisher Photo Persona, brush names are still centered.

57 minutes ago, anto said:

"Show as list" cannot be disabled in Designer and Designer Persona in 2.1.0.1709 beta.

I think Windows has been overlooked here as both are working as advertsied on mac... no comfort obviously but just for clarification...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

10 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

The text names for the brushes do not seem to be aligning properly, whether it's left or centre alignment. Looks like they are all over the place.

They are centre aligned to the stroke shown, when you have the addition of whatever that retina looking display icon to the right of the three circle brushes is, that shortens the visual brush stroke displaed in the panel but the brush name for those three brushes is still centred visually to the brush stroke above the name, not that it's so relevant as they are now supposed to be left aligned anyway... 😜

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Anyway, I tried the changes and the new feature works like a charm. Really nice!

As for future ideas on improving the brush list, are there any thoughts about adding subcategories similar to the Assets panel? Personally I think sorting based on subcategories help organising brushes a lot based on specific functions. Also makes brushes easier to go through by hiding subcategories to reach the ones that are the most important.

Also, any plans on adding an R click shortcut to access the list for brushes? I would love to be able to paint with next to no UI visible. :)

4 minutes ago, Hangman said:

They are centre aligned to the stroke shown, when you have the addition of whatever that retina looking display icon to the right of the three circle brushes is, that shortens the visual brush stroke displaed in the panel but the brush name for those three brushes is still centred visually to the brush stroke above the name, not that it's so relevant as they are now supposed to be left aligned anyway... 😜

image.png.31c87631182dcb5be7cfb028ad692739.png

I was a bit confused by this patch note. I thought the devs had changed the text to be left aligned, so I looked for differences and noticed the weird alignment. The icons on the right seem to reduce the space for the text as you said, so it looked kind of odd to me.

It's currently not possible to delete duplicate brushes...

Steps to Reproduce

1. Select a brush in the brushes panel, right click and select Duplicate Brush - this creates a duplicate brush with the same name and a numerical suffix.
  2. Right Click on the duplicate brush and select Delete Brush - you are asked "Are you sure you want to delete 'Brush name' brush? - This is not an undoable operation."
  3. Select 'Delete' and the duplicate brush is removed from the brushes panel
  4. Quit the app and relaunch, the duplicate brush deleted in Step 3 is now back in the brushes panel
  5. Create a second duplicate of the original brush created in Step 1 - you now have two duplicate brushes 'Brush name 2' and 'Brush name 3'
  6. Right click the first duplicate brush, 'Brush name 2' and select 'Delete'
  7. Quit the app and relaunch, both duplicate brushes are still in the brushes panel
  8. Right click the second duplicate brush created 'Brushname 3' and select 'Delete'
  9. Quit the app and relaunch, both duplicate brushes are still in the brushes panel
  10. Duplicate an already duplicated brush so you now have 'Brushname 2' and 'Brushname 2 2'
  11. Right click and 'Delete' both 'Brushname 2' and 'Brushname 2 2'
  12. Quit the app and relaunch and whichever of the two duplicate brushes was deleted first no longer appears in the brushes panel but the second duplicated brush, the one deleted after the first duplicate still remains in the brush palette

The same behaviour appears in Designer, Designer's Pixel Persona and Photo.

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

It's currently not possible to delete duplicate brushes...

Steps to Reproduce

1. Select a brush in the brushes panel, right click and select Duplicate Brush - this creates a duplicate brush with the same name and a numerical suffix.
  2. Right Click on the duplicate brush and select Delete Brush - you are asked "Are you sure you want to delete 'Brush name' brush? - This is not an undoable operation."
  3. Select 'Delete' and the duplicate brush is removed from the brushes panel
  4. Quit the app and relaunch, the duplicate brush deleted in Step 3 is now back in the brushes panel
  5. Create a second duplicate of the original brush created in Step 1 - you now have two duplicate brushes 'Brush name 2' and 'Brush name 3'
  6. Right click the first duplicate brush, 'Brush name 2' and select 'Delete'
  7. Quit the app and relaunch, both duplicate brushes are still in the brushes panel
  8. Right click the second duplicate brush created 'Brushname 3' and select 'Delete'
  9. Quit the app and relaunch, both duplicate brushes are still in the brushes panel
  10. Duplicate an already duplicated brush so you now have 'Brushname 2' and 'Brushname 2 2'
  11. Right click and 'Delete' both 'Brushname 2' and 'Brushname 2 2'
  12. Quit the app and relaunch and whichever of the two duplicate brushes was deleted first no longer appears in the brushes panel but the second duplicated brush, the one deleted after the first duplicate still remains in the brush palette

The same behaviour appears in Designer, Designer's Pixel Persona and Photo.

I just tried this...and I get the same results. Duplicating a brush and attempting to delete from the context menu causes is a bit sticky. I now know what the issue was originally when attempting to housekeep the brush categories.!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

On 2/15/2023 at 12:24 PM, StuartRc said:

Had a strange issue with the loss of current nozzles (i.e Nozzles contained in existing brushes) and their disappearance in a large number of brushes in any particular category.. bit weird.. but apparently fixed with a restart!

Process (vague!)
Deleting | Renaming older brush categories and importing recent modified ones (These were updated for version 2 to take into consideration distance dynamics). I sort of decided to clean up the list as per previous active beta and test with some of the newer versions

During the process a large number of the brushes in the categories became broken. Nozzle samples not displaying in the panel and unable to use brush. Name was still visible.. list was still complete but number of brushes available varied according to category! In the the dynamics (Nozzles)..the brush nozzles were showing as blank (White)..will investigate!😀

I think the cause of the weird behaviour above is a response to duplicating and attempting to delete the duplicated brush. I just tried the recipe of @Hangman regarding brushes not being deleted from a Category list. However I also observed the strange issue above with:
Empty Brushes in a category | Missing Nozzles | no visual only the brush name visible

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Evening
I have been trying to recreate the brush blanking that I have observed on 2 occasions now...I failed. However I appear to have exposed another issue with the new brush panel | Category list

As video attached..it is very uninteresting (repetitive!) until the end where AD2.1 just crashes
So
Process
I have been importing a few extra brush sets created in AD 2.04 and earlier into the latest Beta. Tonight I added PB 32 Comic Pencilling created last week! but I noticed that 1 of the brush names was missing (Grain Scatter 02) after 01
1. Duplicated random brushes and deleted through a number of different sets (Couldn't get a partial blanking of the set!) However..
2. Repeated selection of a brush (So double click to open Brush Panel + Dynamics on random) causes the application to crash
3. I recorded the test to see if it is just a 1 off! As below

4. I haven't had an issue with this set in 2.04 yet!

NB another experiment (maybe someone else could try this!)
Added
Frankentoon -Splat Inks
Frankentoon -Splat Tones
Dreamphotography
and an older collection

Frankentoon Texturizer (A-D)

Repeat process:
Couldn't get Ad to Crash using Frankentoon Splat INKS but with the older Frankentoon Texturizer crash occurred within a few repeated clicks!

On 2/22/2023 at 2:50 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

Anyway, I tried the changes and the new feature works like a charm. Really nice!

As for future ideas on improving the brush list, are there any thoughts about adding subcategories similar to the Assets panel? Personally I think sorting based on subcategories help organising brushes a lot based on specific functions. Also makes brushes easier to go through by hiding subcategories to reach the ones that are the most important.

Also, any plans on adding an R click shortcut to access the list for brushes? I would love to be able to paint with next to no UI visible. :)

Personally, I'd like a separate panel for common brushes altogether so I don't get lost so easily when tabbing through categories looking for different ones to try. I already duplicate what I typically use into a category, but I'm a "tryer" of things so I still get pulled away from that category too much. Essentially a palette made up with brushes I pulled from my library and their current/custom settings, but leave current brush panel as it is so it can still have the totality of brushes so that they're sorted by collection for clarity/order.

The nozzle previews while toggling the list do not match. 

Here are the nozzles as just preview icons:
image.png.5f95e56e378d1bec6ca062e3c3d709ce.png

Here are the nozzles when in a list:

image.png.4f7a3153a381c78b4f3783d043930ad2.png

Notice how they have nearly invisible previews while the non-list versions in the newly updated Beta have a much clearer view of the basic shape of the nozzles without additional settings on top of it.

Another thing I think could be improved is the editing window for brushes. The new Update Brush operator should be present in this window, since it already has Reset and Duplicate built into it. I also think that renaming of brushes should be possible in this window with the name being at the top of the General tab. 

image.png.0c10a58abd60c1ba435898c9cc466aab.png

I also think that having the brush preview in the editing window with the red dot in the corner could help with determining if you have edited that brush. Perhaps even go so far as to make the blue sliders and highlights turn red if you have changed a parameter, which could make the editing window even more clear with what specific settings you have actually changed.

image.png.800c843fff90dcc45991d4a084b76549.png

1 hour ago, gitotio said:

I would like the size to retain the previously used size, but only the shape of the brush to change.

I'm away from the applications right now, but isn't that already possible by selecting the new brush with Alt/Opt pressed?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, GRAFKOM said:

I don't know. Windows 11, beta 2.1.0.1714 in Publisher Persona Photo - brush selection with ALT doesn't work to leave size when selecting another brush.

It used to work with selection by ALT, but I tried again and now it doesn't work. I am not sure what the cause is, but I still feel that a brush size sharing option is necessary.

• Staff

@gitotio @GRAFKOM

11 hours ago, GRAFKOM said:

brush selection with ALT doesn't work to leave size when selecting another brush.

This function will work with Vector brushes but not Pixel brushes. Could you let me know if this isn't working for you with a vector brush.

Hi there!

Thank you for the update, very useful!

I want to share both a hidden feature (maybe someone spotted it..) together with a small bug I've found.

The "feature" I've placed here and there is that some of the bundled brushes have hidden paper textures that can be enabled using Brush Editor Panel... 🙃

Here you can spot Engraving ones which are "flat" by default but include a paper texture too

image.png.8b5bf936e094084a7f5c0cc4e2298384.png

Other tools from included sets have this... So to Texture Tab, and found which ones... 😜 

The little bug here is that if I change the texture mode the "dot status" does not work.

Cheers,

Paolo

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Any chance of a tidy up of the 'glitch'  in creating Intensity Brushes  where the PNG fails to repeat if taller than wide ?  I have just been banging my head against it trying to create map borders then fortunately came across an old thread.  I was working in Designer beta 1714  but checked back and found it was a long standing issue from a throwaway note attached to 160504

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

• Staff
3 hours ago, gw_westdale said:

Any chance of a tidy up of the 'glitch'  in creating Intensity Brushes  where the PNG fails to repeat if taller than wide

Yeah just dug out that issue, sorry about that we'll take a look.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

I was trying to bypass it by adding transparent space at the right of the PNG and then trimming that in the brush editor.
I can also use this to space the images of an repeat image brush.
It occurred to me that it would be convenient (for the user, if not the developer!) to create space by allowing the tail in the editor to be outside the image area.

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.