merivera2001

Noise reduction ,denoise new download 1.7.0 is not working big bug!!!!

It does work with me. Maybe it's not as big a bug as it seems, but something which only occurs under certain circumstances. I'm on MacOS.

Affinity Photo/Affinity Designer/Affinity Publisher | macOS 10.14 Mojave | MBP13 2013

Hello @merivera2001,

welcome to this forum.
For me, works very well the new denoise filter.
What does not works for you with denoise filter, can you the bug make it more specific?

Cheers

Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 :   Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.3.476 :    Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471:  Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.3.476:

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.3.475:   Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471:    Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1903 Build 18362.295)

I thought it wasn't working too, then realised the new version is EXTREMELY subtle (to the point where it does not remove clearly visible noise), and no 'extreme' option any more...

Very disappointed to be honest, I'll have to use PS and ditch Affinity Photo now... NOT happy because I'd grown to prefer Affinity :( 

The new denoise feels like a downgrade compared to 1.65.

I think the algorithm is similar but we are missing the "extreme" options and it gives up too soon (running out of slider length often on some night shots).

Try duplicating the Denoise layer, I'll sometimes apply several smaller settings and duplicate the Denoise layer, this will sometimes give a better overall finish. You can also create masks so that more or less denoise is applied to specific area's. Try it it might work for you. 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

I'm on newest macOS and Denoise doesn't seem to work at all. The extreme option was part of my workflow to make interior shots look just AWESOME - now it's gone. If this doesn't get fixed fast I'll have to somehow go back to the old version, so please guys: help us here and fix this..

I see Denoise working on Mac on both the retail and the latest beta. It is perhaps more subtle in the Develop Persona but it does work. If you want extreme just use it in the Photo Persona as a Live Filter and duplicate (or more) the layer or repeat the application of the filter.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

Exactly, I tought also at the beginning that it was not working, and I lamented personnaly the loss of Extreme, but learning to work with it, I achieved better results than with the previous version. 

I wonder what the reason was for removal of the extreme option, I can't find any posts complaining about the extreme options, why take away an option and make it less than it was?

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

5 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I wonder what the reason was for removal of the extreme option, I can't find any posts complaining about the extreme options, why take away an option and make it less than it was?

Good question, Dex. Extremely puzzling! :P

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I wonder what the reason was for removal of the extreme option

I've forwarded this question to our devs and will respond here in due course - as I'm not 100% certain of the reasoning behind this either! :)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Good question, Dex. Extremely puzzling! :P

"They have been weighed, they have been measured and they have been found wanting" lol! name that movie!!

11 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

"They have been weighed, they have been measured and they have been found wanting" lol! name that movie!!

“Welcome to the new world.”

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

"The new algorithm should estimate the total noise more accurately, and therefore the 'extreme' option is no longer required."

However we're aware that in some cases it doesn't estimate the noise as expected, so there could be a slight improvement in edge cases - but we'd need the original file to test with in order to improve this.

If you have any specific files where this is most noticeable, please upload them to the following link :)

https://www.dropbox.com/request/9xIYs4wNNo1taYjk8MZI

I am extremely disappointed in the removal of the extreme option from the Denoise Filter.  This attached image at 50% is no different at 100%.  I now have to go to another software product which is not an Affinity Product in order to remove the noise.  I was so impressed with the extreme option, I actually set up a macro to run it at various percentage levels in the extreme option settings.  This was a step backwards to a very good setting.  How hard is it to bring this setting back into the next update?

AP_DenoisFeature_Not.JPG

I'm sorry to hear it tantogrpahics. If you have any example images you can provide then please upload them to the above link, this will help our developers refine and tune the adjustment - many thanks in advance.

You could try DFine from the Nik Collection, although I'm not sure the 'free' version is available anymore. It can be accessed as a plug-in from Affinity Photo (instructions are somewhere in the forums ...)

Biff

Hi tantographics,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Have you tried with the Live filter version as well (menu Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Noise > Denoise)? Does it give you better results than the destructive version? It would be great if you can provide the files(s) you are working with so we can take a look as Dan requested. Thanks.