You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Saving the Workspace?

Hello,

Wenn ich den Arbeitsbereich in Affinity Photo nach meinen Wünschen einrichte, also vor allem über Ansicht/Studio die gewünschten Panele auswähle und in Reitern im Studiobereich anordne, würde ich die Anordnung gerne als Vorgabe speichern. Nur finde ich leider keine Möglichkeit dafür. Es gibt nur dem Menüpunkt "Reset Studio", aber keinen "Save Studio" oder "Store Studio as...".
Geht das irgendwie?

Beste Grüße

Peter

P.S.: Möglicherweise gab es schon mal so eine Frage, doch da ich weder im Workbook noch in der Hilfe auch nur einen Begriff dafür fand, habe ich eventuell keine geeignete Frage stellen können:)

Google Translation:

If I set up the workspace in Affinity Photo according to my wishes, so especially on View/Studio select the desired panels and arrange in riders in the Studio area, I would like to save the arrangement as a default. Unfortunately, I find no way for it. There is only the menu item "Reset Studio", but no "Save Studio" or "Store Studio as ...".
Is that possible?

Best regards

Peter

P.S .: Maybe there was already such a question, but since I found neither in the workbook nor in the help even a term for it, I may have been unable to ask a suitable question :)

Thanks Gabe.

Der Grund ist ganz einfach. Für die Fotobearbeitung benötige ich bestimmte Panels, die also aktiviert sind. Für spezielle Aufgaben aktiviere ich manchmal zusätzlich andere Panele . Ist die Bearbeitung dieses Bilds beendet, wäre ein "Restore" meines gewohnten UIs optimal, das ginge jedoch nur, wenn ich mein eingerichtetes UI unter einem Namen abgespeichert hätte. Eigentlich ist es bei vielen Programmen möglich, mehrere UIs einzurichten und je nach Aufgabe unter dem jeweils gewählten Namen wieder herzustellen. Das vermisse ich bei AP.

Beste Grüße
Peter

The reason is quite simple. For the photo editing I need certain panels, which are activated. For special tasks I sometimes activate other panels as well. If the editing of this image is finished, a "Restore" of my usual UI would be optimal, but that would only work, if I had saved my usually UI under a given name. Actually it is possible with many programs to set up several UIs and depending on the task to restore under the chosen name. I miss that option at AP.

Best regards
Peter

• 9 months later...

It's been a year. And I guess there are also older posts about organizing and saving workspaces. Now there is an update and still everything is as before. Dear Affinity Team, what is so hard about this step of improvement to go. It's certainly not due to expertise. Aren't you allowed? Do you have a "nerd" as project manager who has nothing in mind with usability? Or are you just stubborn? Take a look around the real world and see how something like this works.  Then you'll notice how useful it is. I am glad that I can still use Photoshop.

Die Now Live Later - KMFDM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 10:43 AM, Mischugo said:

Aren't you allowed? Do you have a "nerd" as project manager who has nothing in mind with usability? Or are you just stubborn?

Well, kind of. Maybe a mix of all these. In one of the above mentioned threads, the Project Manager answered that he wanted to give a higher priority to more important features. However, as I explained, adding this workspace management feature wouldn't take much time. The workspace saving and reading code is already written. What is missing is just a naming mechanism and a few menu items. This can be written in a few hours, if not minutes. So I don't understand this stubborn attitude. It would be so easy to make many users happier with a feature that is available in any other similar software.

MfG.

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

• 1 month later...

OK, well after using Affinity Photo exclusively to 6 months, I have returned to Photoshop - in large part because of this. I use two monitors and while the panels (on monitor two) appear in the same position when I reopen Affinity Photo, they always need to be resized. It is really, REALLY annoying.  

@ColinK What Operating System are you using? Here on Windows 10 with 2 monitors I do not have to resize panels. So this might be a problem / bug with either APhoto or graphics driver. What are the specifications of your machine? Maybe the developers have an idea where the problem comes from?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi,

As I already explained in another thread, the workspace saving mechanism exists but we have no user interface element allowing to trigger it. We just need a menu with 3 commands :

- One command (Save workspace as...) allowing to save the current workspace under a specific name in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo

- One command allowing to list the existing saved workspaces and to load one of them

- One command allowing to delete an existing workspace.

That's it. The workspace loading and saving code already exists. The missing code can be written in a snap. That they insist on ignoring this request is beyond me, especially because any other serious image processing program has this capability. Inexplicable. It's just a pity to see that users are now writing batch files in order to manage these workspaces from outside the program.

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 to this request.

It's a limitation that affects all Affinity products, on both Mac and Windows. As such, 'Feature Requests, Suggestions & Discussions > Feedback for the Affinity Suite of Products' is possibly a better place to continue the discussion. As it happens, another user posted here recently: Workspace customization improvements

• 2 months later...

On 8/16/2019 at 5:56 AM, Samoreen said:

PLUS 100 for this:

Hi,

As I already explained in another thread, the workspace saving mechanism exists but we have no user interface element allowing to trigger it. We just need a menu with 3 commands :

- One command (Save workspace as...) allowing to save the current workspace under a specific name in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo

- One command allowing to list the existing saved workspaces and to load one of them

- One command allowing to delete an existing workspace.

That's it. The workspace loading and saving code already exists. The missing code can be written in a snap. That they insist on ignoring this request is beyond me, especially because any other serious image processing program has this capability. Inexplicable. It's just a pity to see that users are now writing batch files in order to manage these workspaces from outside the program.

• 4 months later...

Sorry, but it's really pathetic.
The programs have really great features, but are sometimes so terrible to use. I switched back to a cheap subscription to Photoshop two weeks ago. And it will probably be similar with Affinity Designer. Working with the slice tool alone is driving me crazy. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/45370-copypaste-slice-or-edit-all-slices-is-this-possible/

On 4/3/2020 at 6:05 PM, Mischugo said:

Sorry, but it's really pathetic.
The programs have really great features, but are sometimes so terrible to use. I switched back to a cheap subscription to Photoshop two weeks ago. And it will probably be similar with Affinity Designer. Working with the slice tool alone is driving me crazy.

I hear you. Developing software is hard, and I have to assume the developers are doing their best. But I too feel so frustrated by this software sometimes. It was a hugely ambitious task, to create new software from the ground up to compete with (or even improve upon) Adobe's very mature (and noticeably ageing) product offering. It's like they got 90% of the way there! But it's that 10% which can end up costing you hours of time and frustration, hey. I still recommend Affinity's apps to those who are looking to escape from Adobe… but I do have a love-hate relationship with the apps for sure. 😕

Being able to save different workspaces for different needs is a really useful feature. The Adobe Software CS/CC has offered this sort of thing with pre-sets for Photography, Typography, Painting and the ability for the user to create Custom workspaces.  I regularly use the facility on Photoshop & InDesign when writing tutorials for the classes I teach at college.

It would be a fantastic feature to add to all the 'Affinity' software because it allows the end user to work in a way that meets their own requirements. Reading the comments above seems to suggest that this sort of thing is already built-in but hidden. If other software providers  offer this facility is it not time that Affinity  made the feature available in their own software, even if it means adding another few options to the existing Window menu  >>>>>>   New Workspace > Reset Workspace > Delete Workspace. It's not much to ask for, is it?

I would also like to see other developments in Affinity software to make it more intuitive to use, such as adding greater control to the Warp/Mesh tool to make it more like Photoshops  'Free Transform' tool with ability to change option by using a  right click inside the transform  to Scale, Distort, Perspective, Warp etc. 

Or the ability to access more than one RAW file at time in the 'Develop Persona' and then be able to copy/sync develop settings to a whole batch of images just as can be done in 'Adobe Camera Raw' or 'Lightroom'. 

While I have all the Affinity software, I still end up working with Adobe Software just because I can get things done quicker as it is more intuitive. I really hope that the Affinity software gets better and better with each incarnation, I would hope the  development team takes on board the comments from all who have invested in their work. I admit I also need to spend a bit more time using the Affinity software, which will probably happen in my retirement.

Just like the comment above I have a love hate relationship with Affinity Photo, I inform people about the software but always say its missing the little extra bits that make Photoshop easier and quicker to use.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:26 AM, Kal said:

It's like they got 90% of the way there! But it's that 10% which can end up costing you hours of time and frustration, hey

Yes!!!

I have to prepare / deliver Photoshop files for a customer today. I thought you could do that with Affinity. Right, the format works. But text is not editable.
This is from 2016 ... (funny)

2 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

I'm pleased to report that we have implemented Studio Presets for Photo 1.9 - which should go into beta in a few weeks.

😃😃 Great news! Will it be rolled out to Designer and Publisher at the same time?

• 3 weeks later...