You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing Brush Size Affinity Designer

We also support Ctrl-Alt Drag: Up down for hardness, left/right for size. It needs a bit of improvement but it's there.

This exactly what I want. It is available in Affinity Photo, but it is not in Affinity Designer. Please add it.

• Staff

Glad to know it Matt. I always have trouble changing the size or hardness with the mouse. Usually the drag seems to stop responding at some point (specially with the hardness). The changes in size/hardness aren't much fluid. They seem jumpy. Maybe this is just a problem with my old Macbook or my Magic Mouse itself, but with a regular mouse, i can't do much better either.

Also having to click with the mouse first and only then press the keys is unintuitive. I always forget to click first.

Maybe there's some constraint here that i'm not aware but pressing just the keys would be much better and immediate. 

Yes, I always press the modifier keys first and then the mouse, and I've come across this odd behavior before, I think it was with one of the zoom in and out options not functioning properly, the bug was already fixed, but I think I encountered it elsewhere because of the click and modifier order, as MEB explains above...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 1 year later...

Just a note, I always set my wacom pencil top button as right click.

Then, I can use ALT+pencil top button and press on the document to adjust size/hardness ! Works a dream :wub:

intel i7-3930K - 32Go - SSDs | Dual screen | Running last customer beta

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 | nVidia GTX 680 - v376.33 | intuos 3 - v6.3.15-3

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Nice that this is working, however: wouldn't just ALT-RMB do, without the LMB?

Thing is, I'm using a Wacom pen, which has this rocker switch. I like to assign a MMB to the front side of that switch, and RMB to the rear, because I don't want to grab the mouse whenever possible. Works just nicely mostly.

Although it's working, it's not too comfy having to use ALT-LMB (putting the pen on the tablet) and RMB (rocker switch) at the same time.

For example, Photoshop uses ALT-RMB,

ClipStudio uses CTRL-ALT-LMB.

Both are somewhat better in the brush resizing arena...

Thanks for considering!

Best regards

Eugen

• 11 months later...
On 3/2/2015 at 5:38 AM, 00Ghz said:

Just use the Alt - Right click shortcut like in PS. Drag: Up down for hardness, left/right for size. It would be nice if this came in 1-2 future beta versions. Makes painting so much easier.

omg thank you so much!!! i read in /Affinity-Designer-Shortcuts-Windows.pdf that it was ctrl+Shift+drag and it just would NOT work!!

• 10 months later...

Hi there

I keep trying to use ANY of the shortcuts combinations you mentionned on Windows with a Wacom tablet and Pen but keep getting the color picker and nothing changes on the size or hardness side... I'm lost and kind of frustrated. I'm almost ready to buy again the photo pack of Adobe with Photoshop...

Help would be much appreciated. I'm on Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 on Windows 10 with the latest Wacom driver and an Intuos 5 USB.

The Alt-LMB-RMB+drag combination works. But I can't find a way to replicate this behaviour with the pen. Even while defining a Right Click on the Pen in the Wacom preferences.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT with solution:

Found how to make it work.
I don't know if it's an issue on the Wacom or Affinity side. But this is truly dumb.
So. If I define a Right Click on the Pen button through the Wacom preferences with Click/Right Click...it doesn't work.
But if I define the same button with Keyboard/Modificator/Right Click it WORKS!
You'd think it's the same thing. But no. Just lost 2h before I figured it.
I put a picture. It's in french but the idea is there.

Once done the shortcut works.

Hope that helps :)

Julien

Capture d'écran 2018-12-27 14.22.47.png

Edited by juliencollee
Provided solution

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2018 at 4:31 PM, juliencollee said:

Hi there

I keep trying to use ANY of the shortcuts combinations you mentionned on Windows with a Wacom tablet and Pen but keep getting the color picker and nothing changes on the size or hardness side... I'm lost and kind of frustrated. I'm almost ready to buy again the photo pack of Adobe with Photoshop...

Help would be much appreciated. I'm on Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 on Windows 10 with the latest Wacom driver and an Intuos 5 USB.

The Alt-LMB-RMB+drag combination works. But I can't find a way to replicate this behaviour with the pen. Even while defining a Right Click on the Pen in the Wacom preferences.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT with solution:

Found how to make it work.
I don't know if it's an issue on the Wacom or Affinity side. But this is truly dumb.
So. If I define a Right Click on the Pen button through the Wacom preferences with Click/Right Click...it doesn't work.
But if I define the same button with Keyboard/Modificator/Right Click it WORKS!
You'd think it's the same thing. But no. Just lost 2h before I figured it.
I put a picture. It's in french but the idea is there.

Once done the shortcut works.

Hope that helps :)

Julien

Capture d'écran 2018-12-27 14.22.47.png

thanks! exactly what i needed!