Deadbyxmas

Affinity illustrations and experiments

That's awesome, Kudos!.  :)

Your graphic novel is gonna rock, big time.

Yep... Big fan of the basic round brush... I'm an all time voter for consolidating the basic brush system. As in every app, I can fake almost oil painting with just good old flow and opacity control. In many ways. Of course, going all the way to mimic my so much loved oil painting (which I miss so bad), or watercolors, I prefer to go all the way to something like Verve Painter (oils), Rebelle (watercolors) , Painter or Art Rage (the two latest, for many techniques). As kind of the other stuff is a bit in between. But as an illustrator, all those fall short in real world functionality for many illustrators, at least for my workflow. Also, I am not only a painter. And I often mix techniques. Yep, oil and watercolor brushes in every other app make it look nice often almost similar, but as one insists in painting (I don't paint "a la prima" (tho that technique is about painter always over wet) and leave it so, neither with real paints, no classic painter did this, in centuries), and as you insist, the effect gets more digital. Even if always "painterly" as that's each one's personal touch, but for me what is really worth is just a simple solid brush system, performing really well (brush lag, color picking lag (super key in realistic painting), line jitter, painting zoomed out, how it feathers, etc. Those are the key things I always care for in a painting app. Not the brush library. But that's me).  I can do wonders in Photoshop with the basic round brush. Is what I use at every company. I currently use a heavily modified version of the oil paint brush in CSP, but as that one has some features/settings really mimicking traditional paints behaviors, although not totally in the final look, but yep in how it works till certain degree. But the result is a bit more painterly. Even so, the amount of image editing and final preparation, formats, integration, etc, etc that I have in Affinity Photo, makes it worth  it to keep trying to make AP my main illustration app. I'm not into vectors for illustration (AD serves me very well in any graphic design task), but also as my style is very different than yours. What you do can be entirely done in AP, but the features in AD are time savers for what I believe you do there.

Keep 'em coming, these are gorgeous.  :)

AD, AP and APub.  Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1650 4GB, 500GB m.2 SSD, 1TB HDD 7200rpm. Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

You're right SrPx - but that's the problem we face, there are too many options also in terms of software, tools etc. I've found I get lost and waste massive amounts of time trying out stuff, rather than consolidating one technique. Oh well, I guess you can't change how one is, although I often find that perfecting and doing one or two things to overkill tends to reap more rewards in term of attention. 

Anyway, moving on, something I did recently, in the wake of the events tearing apart this world. 

Although I'm not there at the moment, my hometown is Milan, Lombardy, deeply affected by this catastrophe. I was there just before total lockdown, and the streets were already eerily empty. 

Cara Catastrofe (again, combination of AD and AP)

caracatastrofe.jpg

More frequent updates on instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/maeharrington_deadbyxmas/

Official website

http://www.deadbyxmas.com/

21 hours ago, Fred Lespine said:

Very nice ! Subtle with a lot of storytelling that we can guess 👍

Thanks! The small storytelling within the pictures is always something I love to focus on, so really glad you picked it up!

More frequent updates on instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/maeharrington_deadbyxmas/

Official website

http://www.deadbyxmas.com/