You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there at Affinity,

Just making the transition from Illustrator, and after doing help searches, I do not think Affinity has an option to Simplify Paths, like illustrator does?

Think this would be a really good feature to implement, as converting strokes creates zillions of nodes, and need to simplify these.

Thanks Huelo

• Staff

Hi Huelo,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you select the Node Tool and go to the context toolbar Action section, there's an icon - Smooth Curve (third icon) - that may help a little in some situations, but it doesn't do/clean as much as you'd expect. This has been requested quite a few times and we hope to implement it later in a future version.

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2017 at 10:44 AM, MEB said:

we hope to implement it later in a future version.

Hi MEB. I'm having a difficult time finding out if this is on your roadmap or if it's still just something you are hoping to do at a later time? I'm very curious since it's a feature I very often need and I can't find any recent topics about it.. Thanks

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just in case someone else is looking for a solution to this still. There is still no equivalent to illustrators simplify path but there is one alternative that I have been using lately that works fairly well. You'll have to try it out to see what works for you.

1. Select object with the node tool and make sure all nodes are selected

2. in the action tool bar, select "convert -> smooth" or "convert -> smart" to convert all the selected nodes. (in my experience convert->smooth has the biggest impact)

3. Now press the "action -> smooth curve"

If done in this way it actually removes quite a few unneeded nodes. The only way to customize the outcome is by manually selecting/deselecting nodes and choosing smooth or smart in the convert section.. You can do like MEB mentioned earlier and just use the action -> smooth curve but in my experience it never really changes much unless combined with "convert".

I truly hope a better option comes soon, so *bump* to the devs, simply path is a super useful tool.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also looking for this... specially if the clean process has a "straight line" option based on node angles.. that would be PERFECT!!

Just like as in the Serif's Draw Plus (legacy product) the "Clean Curves" option should have some degree of customization.. however with a few more options... such as node angle configuration and optimization by straight line only. This is how Illustrator does it... and to be quite honest .. it works. 

Please make this real. Simplify path is a very common operation in Illustrator (sometimes your hand drawing has too many points, sometimes a figure imported from other software comes with too much complexity), and it would be great if Affinity implements this. Details like this make my transition between tools a little harder 😬. +1 for upping the game like AstuteGraphics tool VectorScribe 😁

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

...ok so what should I do with shapes like that? After expanding stroke (that is still broken), then geometry divide /add, I've got millions of points. I will probably save it as a PNG and open it in https://www.autotracer.org/ ...trace it and import to Affinity... so again I will work around the lack of basic vector options. MEB, please, release 2.0 already because I have a feeling that there is no road map for 1.x ... (sorry to be pessimistic but I'm trying to be realistic too and I've been with affinity for a year and not much has changed. Plus it is tough to read forum’s posts that area years old and nothing is chaining).

Zrzut ekranu 2020-11-13 o 21.01.07.png

@tytus

If you've inkscape installed, you can copy the shape in AD and paste it in inkscape. Then use "Simplify" from "Path"-menu, copy the shape again and paste back it in AD. At least on Windows this works well.

I would love to see this functionallity in AD as well. In my opinion this is a kind of core feature.

• 3 months later...

Ended up here looking to see if this feature was in affinity and I had somehow missed it over the last few years, nope.  I've never really needed it, until recently while using expand stroke and then subtracting from other objects.  That end up producing an insane number of nodes sometimes.  Also, when working with a converted dxf I'm left with the same insane amount of nodes at times.

Would love to see a simplify option implemented.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

VectorStyler does a good job

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk