You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is Crop to selection possible

6 minutes ago, Armelline said:

I'm honestly not sure what the purpose of discussion forums are if not to discuss things.

Their purpose is to discuss things. But there is also what I hope is an obvious purpose for breaking it down into different sub-forums, each devoted to the discussion of different kinds of things, like questions about how to use the apps, features we would like to see implemented, tutorials, resources, tutorials, bug reporting, & beta versions.

As it is, the top level https://forum.affinity.serif.com page shows there have been around ½ a million posts made to the forums so far. Imagine how hard it would be to use the site if users just disregarded which forums are intended for what & posted in whatever forum they happened to see first.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've raised a feature request, but I think it's probably pointless as there were already 4 pages full of people asking for it.  It's not that big of a deal though, I was just surprised that such a simple to implement feature in terms of coding, has been ignored for so long.  There definitely needs to be some sort of poll for the developers to glance at a couple of times a week.

> But there is also what I hope is an obvious purpose for breaking it down into different sub-forums, each devoted to the discussion of different kinds of things, like questions about how to use the apps, features we would like to see implemented, tutorials, resources, tutorials, bug reporting, & beta versions.

This is a top being discussed in a relevant way in a relevant post in a relevant forum. The vast majority of this thread is discussing if the feature is possible and how to accomplish a similar result. I'm still really not sure why there's such resistance to that discussion. Unless a mod comes in and deems this topic off-topic or spent, then users of this forum will continue to view this as the best place to discuss the feature, it's absence and workarounds. All of which seems very relevant to me. In fact, the only really off-topic part of this thread is our bickering about if it's the place to discuss these things.

4 minutes ago, Armelline said:

The vast majority of this thread is discussing if the feature is possible and how to accomplish a similar result.

Long ago on one of the first pages of the topic we learned that no, it is not possible. So there is not much point in discussing that any further. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

That's a very shortsighted way of looking at it. So discussion of reasons why it's needed and workaround solutions hold no merit? Where exactly should those take place? They seem even less relevant in the Feature Requests forum.

I'm genuinely baffled by why you have such a vendetta against this feature and this thread. Being annoyed by notifications really isn't enough to explain it.

1 minute ago, Armelline said:

So discussion of reasons why it's needed and workaround solutions hold no merit? Where exactly should those take place?

It has been mentioned many, many times now that the place to discuss this is the feature requests forum. That's why over the course of what is now 12 pages this has been mentioned quite a few times.

3 minutes ago, Armelline said:

I'm genuinely baffled by why you have such a vendetta against this feature and this thread.

I have no vendetta against this feature; in fact, I would like to see it implemented too. But for the reasons mentioned (also more than once now) I would like to see people supporting it in the place intended for that, where it will do the most good.

I get that it is frustrating that not just this but many other often requested features have yet to be implemented. I am frustrated about that too. But I understand that if people keep posting in Questions topics like this one instead of in the feature request forums, then nobody benefits.

Affinity Photo 

We're just going round in circles here. I've requested a mod provide clarificaton as to how they want this issue handled. I really don't see how you think people will benefit from posting it in another forum where there is already a topic that has been equally ignored and has far less visibility for new users seeking information and potential workarounds, but I guess these forums aren't actually intended to help users, perhaps.

I think it's best we both stop spamming this thread with off-topic arguments about what is and isn't off-topic as neither of us are doing anything helpful here and are just cluttering up this thread which, you seem determined to claim, is already full of off-topic stuff like discussing crop-to-selection.

1 hour ago, Armelline said:

I've requested a mod provide clarificaton as to how they want this issue handled.

What isn't clear about the second sentence at the top section of the top level of the Features request forum:

If you have any suggestions about how to make our apps better, please post them here.

There is no "issue." That is the forum for this, not here. 

Affinity Photo 

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, ppp said:

This is insane. 12 pages for this thread. I was running away from Adobes stubbornness in feature implementation. Seams it's even worse here.

A non-destructive way to crop a selection would be to copy the selection and create as a new document. Am I wrong?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

2 minutes ago, Komatös said:

A non-destructive way to crop a selection would be to copy the selection and create as a new document. Am I wrong?

That's not the point. Entering the crop mode while having pixel selection, should just adjust the crop area to the selection automatically. That's it.

8 minutes ago, Komatös said:

No, you're not!

I'd like this to be implemented as well, but until it is, it is so easy to do the same thing in other ways, I really don't miss it much.

What a lot of people seem to forget is that dozens (hundreds?) of people post their requests for new features/changes, all insisting that their "single issue", which is so important, essential, in every other app and so easy to implement, is just one of many. Multiply all these requests by several hundred and it's obvious that a small team of developers are going to take quite a while prioritising and implementing them. I get as frustrated as anyone at the lack of some features, and bugs in others, but simply going on and on about the same thing, page after page, serves no useful purpose whatsoever. I'm sure the devs are doing their best, and one group of users trying to prove that their demands for their issue to be "sorted" as a priority over anyone else's, is quite simply unproductive! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

35 minutes ago, Komatös said:

I was going to quip "New here?" but I see you've posted in this thread before.

@ppp There are two kinds of people in the world this thread: those who believe with a religious fervor that this feature is (relatively) simple to implement and also essential to their workflow, and those who believe with a religious fervor that there are other multi-step methods to accomplish the same result so what's the big fuss?

I'm of the former, and if you had endured all 12 pages of this thread, you'd have uncovered two comments that are actually useful. Lucky for you, and hopefully for the next few commenters who might see this comment, I've already found them, and use them myself as a nearly-acceptable alternative to actually having the feature implemented.  These are not "well do these 18 things and it's the same" answers.

The author of this comment uploaded a macro, which no longer seems to be on the forum's servers, so I've taken the liberty of uploading it with this comment. @carl123 if that's not OK let me know and I'll take it down. The macro simply crops to your selection...make your selection and run the macro. Despite the name it works with more than two selections.

This comment includes a video demonstrating that you can make your selection, then use snapping with the crop tool to make the crop; in my opinion that's better than any of the other multi-step alternatives.

Crop to 2 Selections.afmacros

On 11/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, Komatös said:

That works if you only want to crop to a single selected layer. My most frequent use-case for "Crop to Selection" is other apps is to select multiple layers, crop to edges of the widest layers (one layer may be higher, one might protrude more to the left etc. so no single layer is sufficient to define the bounds). Then I can easily export each layer with a consistent image size, padding each image as needed to ensure they all end up the same dimensions.

I've not found an easy way to do that in AP yet, though I'm sure there is one. Sadly slecting then copying then creating a new document doesn't help in my use-case. Though I'll be delighted to be corrected on that.

1 hour ago, Armelline said:

That works if you only want to crop to a single selected layer. My most frequent use-case for "Crop to Selection" is other apps is to select multiple layers, crop to edges of the widest layers (one layer may be higher, one might protrude more to the left etc. so no single layer is sufficient to define the bounds). Then I can easily export each layer with a consistent image size, padding each image as needed to ensure they all end up the same dimensions.

I've not found an easy way to do that in AP yet, though I'm sure there is one. Sadly slecting then copying then creating a new document doesn't help in my use-case. Though I'll be delighted to be corrected on that.

I've decided Affinity developers have a problem with lack of vision. They created the equivalent of a really good drill bit set for wood, but then they can't imagine why anyone could possibly want to drill into metal or concrete... or whatever.

2 hours ago, Armelline said:

If you group the layers and then crop and copy, that should do what you want. I know, it isn't perfekt, but at the moment the best possibility.

@pixelstuff 

I'm sure the developers would love to incorporate all the community's wishes into the programmes, but please bear in mind that Serif has neither the budget nor the manpower of Adobe to implement everything immediately.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Just now, Komatös said:

If you group the layers and then crop and copy, that should do what you want. I know, it isn't perfekt, but at the moment the best possibility.

@pixelstuff 

I'm sure the developers would love to incorporate all the community's wishes into the programmes, but please bear in mind that Serif has neither the budget nor the manpower of Adobe to implement everything immediately.

If I group the layers then crop I've already got the result I want :D It's the cropping part that's not currently easy to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Never hold up travelers. 
Everything is said a thousand times - and most users were perfectly capable to say it in a civilized way. Please take any insults with you when you are leaving.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

11 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Never hold up travelers. 
Everything is said a thousand times - and most users were perfectly capable to say it in a civilized way. Please take any insults with you when you are leaving.

Quit giving the devs a pass.  This is truly pathetic that something so trivial and simple hasn't been added to this application.  it's been nearly 4 years since this thread has been started.

There are countless reasons to be disappointed of unbelievable slow progress regarding new features and bug fixing for Affinity apps. I personally raised quite a few, including 3 bugs unsolved since 6-9 month which lead to immediate crash of Photo, including complete loss of all unsaved edits, and one with bonus corrupted symbol library requiring reset to factory (empty state)

Still no reason to use or justify foul language. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

3 minutes ago, Armelline said:

Though he could definitely have expressed himself better, it's a bit far to call "c***" "foul language".

It is marked offensive in Oxford dictionary. I’m non-native, but the meaning and usage of the used term seems to be 100% equivalent in my native language.

There is a huge difference between using that vocabulary in private conversations versus posting it publicly, indexed by google and other search engines, in the forum of the software vendor. Would you like such an remark publicly posted in your own guestbook, or written on the wall of you house?

10 minutes ago, Armelline said:

it's a bit far to call "crap" "foul language".

My default is to swear like a stevedore, but I respect the fact that many people are bothered by it and so I do try to not curse. I try to avoid even mild epitaphs. There are lots of pauses when I speak with people I don't know.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I'd definitely class it as inappropriate for the context and a bit rude, but it's one of the mildest of the "rude words" and, here at least, nobody would bat an eye if it's used on daytime TV. I respect your opinion, though, even if I don't agree with it, and to keep this on topic I still really want crop to selection.