You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.0.20213)

Imagine this scenario:

You have a logo that has a specific color (or colors).

You want to make... lets say, a flier, that must include the logo. Your layout includes some colors based on the logo colors with slight variations. So, you duplicate the logo color(s) and set them as global so that you can experiment and see your tests propagate in all elements that use that color(s). But the color(s) of the logo must remain local so that they stay safe.

Speaking of that... FreeHand had an ability to do one thing that was sooooooo useful.

You could define Tints (percentages) of a color.

Let's say you define a color X. Then you create, for example, a color that is 35% of color X.

You can apply the Tint color as any other color. And, if you change the color X, the Tint changes accordingly.

This is specially useful for Spot colors (but it works with any type of color) since when we are creating layouts with solid colors we usually use several shades of the same Spot colors.

It's the teases that pleases. :D

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

rui_mac:

You say:

Speaking of that... FreeHand had an ability to do one thing that was sooooooo useful.

You could define Tints (percentages) of a color.

Let's say you define a color X. Then you create, for example, a color that is 35% of color X.

You can apply the Tint color as any other color. And, if you change the color X, the Tint changes accordingly.

This is specially useful for Spot colors (but it works with any type of color) since when we are creating layouts with solid colors we usually use several shades of the same Spot colors.

---------

I know this question very well. I have worked lots and lots of hours in prepress with FreeHand since 3.1 version to MX version. It was so simple to edit colors in just one trip to the menu to get this things done:

- To name all colors that a document has but are not defined in the color pane. That way, all the colors that contain the document are defined and named in the colors pane.

- Delete all unused colors.

And yes. FreeHand has a pane for gradients (or tones) of a given color defined in colors pane (including steps from 90 to 10% predefined)

So, so simple...

See the “tones pane” (I do not know how in english version is defined) at the bottom left of this image. Is from my flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/krollian/14773300344/in/set-72157645962387176

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We've got lots of things underway at the moment - including preparing for the Photo beta that's getting very near, so there are a large number of changes to Designer that are not yet finished, so right now we wouldn't be happy to release another beta version. We'll see how things go over the next couple of weeks and either release an update then, or wait to release a new Designer beta alongside the Photo beta launch (as they need to be running the same codebase in order to make best use of the shared file format)

That's a Finder setting. If that's happening only for PNG's, right-click on a PNG file, select Get Info, then in the Name & Extension section make sure you have Hide extension unchecked.

I know about the Finder setting but I don't want to right click and change it for every image I export. 

Screenshot of the exact same file exported with app store version and beta version:

post-2866-0-14886500-1416929501_thumb.png

• Staff

I know about the Finder setting but I don't want to right click and change it for every image I export. 

Screenshot of the exact same file exported with app store version and beta version:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-11-25 at 16.29.38.png

Hi Andreas Larsen,

This is a mac OSX behaviour that we were not honouring with the version from the App Store. That was very naughty of us and this behaviour is fixed for the beta, and now works like every other application from Apple. It is intended.

To fixed this issue globally, you need to:

- Click on your desktop.

- Click on the Finder menu.

- Click on Preferences...

- Click on Advanced tab.

- Make sure the check box for 'Show all filename extensions' is ticked.

- You might need to restart your computer to see the effects.

Edit: Just tried it in Photoshop and it ignores this OSX settings - both export and save.

Edit 2: After a discussion with my colleagues, we've decided to add a preference to show the extension for saved and exported files. Hopefully that is acceptable to everyone. :)

I wasn't aware of the different behaviour for the MAS versus the beta. Sorry Andreas. Should have known better.

@MEB - You're being too hard on yourself. :)

@Andreas Larsen - This is now in for the next beta.

Agreed, no one expects one person in the team to know it all with the rapid release/development cycle you're currently having. Just glad things get added/fixed :)

. . .

Edit 2: After a discussion with my colleagues, we've decided to add a preference to show the extension for saved and exported files. Hopefully that is acceptable to everyone. :)

I like having my image files show extensions but do not necessarily want to see them in app files. I mean, imagine an app that saved files with an eight letter extension!  :)  Is their anyway you guys can trim that down? I just did a brief search and the Wikipedia entry, at least, showed no one has yet reserved "AFD". Or "afd". 

I see your point. Then I would like to see the option to apply extensions to exported files separately from imposing them on saved AD files. The long extension is trivial when viewing folders in column modes but, for me anyway, produces awkward parsing that slows down recognition when appearing on desktop files where longer names are forced to multiple lines. Not a big deal, just saying. . . 

• Staff

I do agree and we always knew that a longer extension is more cumbersome, but we did it for a reason. I think the ability to toggle whether or not the native file format extensions should be visible or not when saving new files (separately from exported file type extensions) is a good preferences option and would obviously resolve your issue so we can try to look at that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, the issue where the color picker didn't work correctly on multi-monitor setups still isn't working for me :(

I'm pretty sure i saw it was fixed for the next release so assume it is fixed in the latest beta which i just downloaded?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.