You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

41 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Because Canva would not have the benefit resulting from what I had suggested to them if I had not suggested it to them.

William

I think the issue is that ideas just aren't worth much on their own. You need enough information about the idea to essentially become patentable. Meaning the real value of an idea is in knowing how to implement the idea. Once you have that much of the idea spelled out, then why not go ahead and patent it then sell the patent. (Because that is what patent law was designed for, protecting valuable ideas.)

Saying you'd like to see a car that stays clean without ever needing a wash, isn't worth much if no one knows how to build it. However, if you can tell someone how to build such a car, that might be worth some money. And also worth patenting.

Saying you want Affinity Photo to use A.I. to fill in selections with matching scenery isn't worth much. If you can tell them how to build the A.I. logic and integrate it into the U.I. that might be valuable. However there are already examples of that out in the world, so probably not too valuable. If it were really unique it would be patentable, but in this case implementation would be more like a one time labor fee kind of valuable, not a royalty per sale kind of value.

Telling Affinity you want to see layer notifications for each missing font instead of a global notification that only lasts five seconds, isn't very valuable. It would be a handy feature, but 99.9% of the effort comes in developing the logic and then writing it into the proper language. Even if Affinity wanted to pay for that idea, how do you measure the value it added to the overall software package? It is one of a few thousand or more features and might not even be something most care about. Nice to have, but no one is buying the software just for that.

It just seems like a nearly impossible task to place value on customer ideas that are so simple they wouldn't already qualify for a patent.

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There is absolutely no way you could know if what you suggested to them was an original idea that had not been suggested by someone else inside or outside the company,

Yes there is, I could accept their word about it.

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

& no way for either you or them to know what if any monetary benefits would be derived solely from its implementation.

That would depend upon the nature of the idea.

33 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But regardless, you are not doing any of the work needed to implement the idea, which is why your sportswear analogy is bogus.

No, the designer provides the design for the logo, the sportswear manufacturer implements it as woven thread in thousands of items of clothing.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I could accept their word about it.

But would your heirs?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have always tried not to get sucked into these types of discussions, since they are usually about as fruitful as arguing politics or religion. But, I’m a little tired tonight and I thought I’d throw my 2 cents in. William, your notion that you should be paid for merely suggesting a software feature is beyond ludicrous. I apologize if I am being rude, but arguing the fine points of the difficulty in getting paid for making a suggestion is pedantry in the extreme. The whole nature of making a suggestion is being charitable (unless you are a paid consultant, and I’ll go out on a limb and guess that you are not).

Now I have a suggestion. I think you should continue to make a series of long-winded and silly posts throughout the forum and follow up with post after post trying to decide how many angels can dance on the head of your particular pins. It would seem to me that you have two choices - you can (1) continue down the road you’ve been on for several years now (and, or course, pay me handsomely for making the suggestion), or (2) just stop (and save your money).

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

That would depend upon the nature of the idea.

There is simply no reliable way to determine what any one idea is worth on its own, separate & apart from everything else. If you think otherwise please give an example of the "kind' of idea whose value somehow could be quantified independently of all else.

But this is really much simpler than that: In no meaningful sense, legally or otherwise, is it possible to own an idea. Therefore it is neither real or intellectual property & cannot be sold, licensed, given away, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, smadell said:

William, your notion that you should be paid for merely suggesting a software feature is beyond ludicrous.

So all the way to Plaid?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I suppose so, @R C-R. May the Schwartz be with you.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So all the way to Plaid?

image.gif.dad6812ad9b26fa687a7f4d3dcdb07e8.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, smadell said:

William, your notion that you should be paid for merely suggesting a software feature is beyond ludicrous. I apologize if I am being rude, but arguing the fine points of the difficulty in getting paid for making a suggestion is pedantry in the extreme. The whole nature of making a suggestion is being charitable (unless you are a paid consultant, and I’ll go out on a limb and guess that you are not).

Please suppose that I suggest to Affinity that there be added to the Affinity tools, a Saturn Tool. At present there is a Triangle Tool to draw a triangle, a Star Tool to draw a star, and various other tools, each of which draws a line drawing of a shape. The Saturn Tool would draw a line drawing of a simplified representation of the planet Saturn, a circle and, from mid lower left to mid upper right of the bounding box, the rings, shown open. I could also suggest a Comet Tool too. Suppose that the Affinity Team assess these ides and agree that they would be a good addition to Affinity Designer and they become implemented. It seems to me entirely reasonable to consider that Canva might send me a letter, no lawyer's jargon, no deeming of anything assigned, just a nice letter thanking me for my suggestion, saying it has been accepted and as an expression of our thanks, please find enclosed a cheque for you.

I know that that might not happen, but I consider that it is a scenario that could credibly happen and is entirely reasonable to discuss as a possibility for the future bearing in mind that Pledge 4 constructively seeks ideas from the user community and that Canva is a business and could make money from implementing those ideas.

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

There is simply no reliable way to determine what any one idea is worth on its own, separate & apart from everything else. If you think otherwise please give an example of the "kind' of idea whose value somehow could be quantified independently of all else.

Suppose that I suggest an additional Affinity product, Affinity Constellations. It can be sold separately, or as part of a four program bundle, the three program bundle continuing to be available. So the number sold and the revenue from selling licences for Affinity Constellations could be reliably determined. So a royalty for the suggestion could be paid based on that number and that revenue as Canva decided would be fair. Affinity Constellations would allow entry from the other Affinity programs so as to access toolboxes with three tools for each constellatiion from The Little Bear to the Southern Cross, a simple line illustration accurately showing the stars in that constellation, a version of that augmented with a line drawing showing the supposed image, for example, Pegasus as a winged horse, and a version of each such image in full colour. It is a matter for Affinity management to decide whether they like that idea, but if they do and it gets implemented and there are lots of sales of licences then it seems reasonable to me that I receive some money as a thank you for suggesting the idea.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

9 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So the number sold and the revenue from selling licences for Affinity Constellations could be reliably determined.

Judging by the many uncomplimentary posts to these forums, Affinity Consternations would probably attract a much larger audience!

Alfred spacer.png

@William Overington William, if I may be so bold, I suggest you contact Serif/Canva regarding your idea and see if they would be interested in it. Or, if your idea truly has merit, you could write a plugin for Adobe Photoshop and sell it on any marketplace online. I believe Photoshop plugins can be used in Serif software but do not know anything about creating them or any limitations. Here is a link to more information. You could also suggest to Serif/Canva that they develop a plugin program for their products that would enable interested parties to develop and sell plugins that specifically take advantage of Serif/Canva products and their unique functionality. 

Best regards,

henryanthony

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

@PaulEC Could you possibly explain please your reasons for laughing at my post?

I am puzzled as I wrote that post as a serious contribution to this discussion about Canva acquiring Affinity and the situation going forward.

I would be interested to know your thinking please.

William

30 minutes ago, henryanthony said:

@William Overington William, if I may be so bold, I suggest you contact Serif/Canva regarding your idea and see if they would be interested in it.

Thank you for your suggestions. It appears that some Affinity staff are reading this thread, so they may already be aware of my suggestion of the Saturn Tool and the Comet Tool.

31 minutes ago, henryanthony said:

Or, if your idea truly has merit, you could write a plugin for Adobe Photoshop and sell it on any marketplace online. I believe Photoshop plugins can be used in Serif software but do not know anything about creating them or any limitations. Here is a link to more information.

Well, I am not in a situation to do that. I am long retired and just going along as best I can. And anyway I do not have the software systems and the knowledge and skills to do that. I just do what I can within the limits that I have.

32 minutes ago, henryanthony said:

You could also suggest to Serif/Canva that they develop a plugin program for their products that would enable interested parties to develop and sell plugins that specifically take advantage of Serif/Canva products and their unique functionality. 

Well, that is your idea. Maybe they will reward you for that idea. I hope so.

William

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Judging by the many uncomplimentary posts to these forums, Affinity Consternations would probably attract a much larger audience!

Possibly! 😁

@William Overington  The only "reward" I am hoping for is that I am able to continue to use the Serif software I purchased without my license being changed to subscription.

I wish you the best in all your present and future endeavors.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

34 minutes ago, William Overington said:

@PaulEC Could you possibly explain please your reasons for laughing at my post?

I am puzzled as I wrote that post as a serious contribution to this discussion about Canva acquiring Affinity and the situation going forward.

I would be interested to know your thinking please.

William

Sorry - I didn't realise that this was a serious suggestion!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

but I consider that it is a scenario that could credibly happen and is entirely reasonable to discuss as a possibility for the future bearing in mind that Pledge 4 constructively seeks ideas from the user community and that Canva is a business and could make money from implementing those ideas.

Serif is/was also a business, and was soliciting ideas from the users via the Feedback forum. None of us have expected to be paid for our suggestions, and none of us have been paid (as far as I know) for our suggestions there that have been implemented. 

Why should that change now, just because a different business owns Serif.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif is/was also a business, and was soliciting ideas from the users via the Feedback forum. None of us have expected to be paid for our suggestions, and none of us have been paid (as far as I know) for our suggestions there that have been implemented. 

Why should that change now, just because a different business owns Serif.

That was then, this is now. Pledge 4 has been made.

Just because money has not been paid for suggestions in the past is not a good reason why money should not be paid for suggestions in the future.

If you do not want to receive money as a result of providing an idea to Canva which Canva takes up and from which Canva makes money then that is a matter for you.

Yet please do not grumble away my opportuities. If I can increase my income in retirement by being paid for ideas that I send in and that are taken up then for me that would be wonderful.

I am hoping that @Ash will say, pursuant to Pledge 4, how ideas should be sent, how they will be assessed, and whether payment will be made for any ideas that are taken up.

William

3 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I note that @R C-R is laughing at that post now too. I wonder why.

Probably because he’s in a different time zone and it was too early for him to react when @PaulEC did (about two hours ago).

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

Suppose that I suggest an additional Affinity product, Affinity Constellations.

Anybody can make a suggestion for a product but only someone living in a fantasy world would expect any company to pay them anything for that. If you do not understand why the idea is absurd, please contact a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property (IP) rights & ask for an explanation of what does & does not constitute IP.

Affinity Photo 

18 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I note that @R C-R is laughing at that post now too. I wonder why.

Because your idea of being paid for nothing more than a new product or tool suggestion is still just as absurd & laughable as it as been from the beginning.

Affinity Photo