You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Questions on Canva acquiring Affinity

Well, we'll see how all of this turns out in the long run, especially for the users. I wish Serif all the best for being part of Canva. Let's give them a chance to prove that the well-known narrative of the evil giant swallowing up small software companies doesn't apply in this case. I am looking forward to the features that are yet to come for the 2.x versions, really hope that the planned Q&A session will shine some light on future plans and will follow the development of v3 with great interest.

45 minutes ago, Napkin6534 said:

From their FAQ (I bolded the important parts):

I dissect PR smokes/mirrors for living. So read between the lines — next versions may have different pricing structure. They are not ruling out subscriptions or other ideas. So, no more advocating Affinity for me, the future is bleak. No more investing mentally or financially (V2 could by my last purchase). Very sad they sold out: it was such a beautiful dream, European "David", independent, with clear price structure, striving underdog. Now it is circling the corporate aquisition drain.

Yeah, this is pretty much my take. And we've seen mergers and acquisition on the design/software enough times to know this will likely end badly. I mean, just look at Gravit Designer -> Corel Vector after the acquisition, or even more recently Vectornator -> Linearity Curve after VC poured in. This is why we can't have nice things. :( 

I bought Affinity because they were fairly priced and because the functions worked for me. I had considered Canva as well, specially because they also had an Android version, but the truth is that I didn't really like what they were offering, and I also didn't care much about the subscription model.

As a hobby user, I delve into Clip Studio Paint. I have a PC one-time license for the EX version (the one with more functions) and a subscription for my Android tablet that includes the last updates, but it is only a pro one (allows me to do stand-alone illustrations, but not to handle whole comics, which is fine by me because I use the two desktop monitors for that). The point is that the subscription price is reasonable, and the functions I get for it are good enough for me.

Now, depends on what the Canva guys do, the current V2 (with any updates/patches) might be the last one I get. If they start throwing random "AI" stuff in the programs, I'll definitely not support them.

If they brought out a newer version that kept the Affinity philosophy with an Android version, I may even consider a subscription if the price is reasonable, but I'll not go in blindly.

19 minutes ago, heldrida said:

Affinity has some of the best software, with Apple-like quality. It's unfortunate to see it go for Canva, one of the worst pointless companies on this planet. So sad!

I completelly agree with you. The very first moment I hear they started with subscription model -- I am out of the game.

I've just started some books in Publisher, but now... I have to rethink it should I continue or keep InDesign and Quark.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

11 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

The question is: Why would they? For any company, it would be incredible stupid to rule out anything forever.

Because that is what on everyone´s mind. They do not resolutely commit to a standing pricing model, and that means they will change it. And that in turn means enshittification is around the corner—canva subscription nagging, AI, features for the sake of features, SaaS. Sad.

Is this final and can it be reversed? Was Serif is trouble financially that is needed Canva? Will the acquisition costs be debt on Serif's balance sheet now? When will Canva announce their IPO? Can Canva garantee that nothing will change?

I just want nice things and this isn't nice! I'm emotional, yes and recommended Affinity to a lot of people and now I no longer can do that.

2 hours ago, GenewalDesign said:

And?
Getting the information one day earlier would change something?

"Oh no, our users on our forums are upset, let's call back Canva and cancel everything!"

You really don't get it, do you? This is the difference between a company that cares for the artists and creatives and a company that just pretends to do so. Hearing it from a news post in a social media group or getting an email from Serif would have made a huge difference. The responses on the Facebook groups I moderate are very clear and apart from a handful of users, the majority are angry with the way this was handled. The speech on YouTube is a prime example of how not to do it. Those are hollow words that are contradicted by his body language from the start... 

Guys? A little bit of faith in the management of Canva and Serif? Let's put it straight: at this moment Affinity is still growing and has a long path ahead of it before it reaches the goal of ACCORDING to Adobe's level. Right now the HUGE benefit to users is the purchase model and they would have to be out of their minds to change anything about it at this point.

In other words: Affinity purchase model gives too much advantage to their target users (and this is a different part of the market than Canva users) than to be so easily lost.

4 minutes ago, 2Dgameartguru said:

You really don't get it, do you? This is the difference between a company that cares for the artists and creatives and a company that just pretends to do so. Hearing it from a news post in a social media group or getting an email from Serif would have made a huge difference. The responses on the Facebook groups I moderate are very clear and apart from a handful of users, the majority are angry with the way this was handled. The speech on YouTube is a prime example of how not to do it. Those are hollow words that are contradicted by his body language from the start... 

Or maybe I just have a different opinion, it's something common among humans.

One day, two hours, they would have released the PR at the same time as Canva, people would have been upset in any case.

The information came out 3AM GMT and Affinity confirmed it like 4 hours later. And it's not like they denied it right way.

let's be real tho in 1 and a half years a lot can change especially with the current state of the world.

I aint a fan but I wouldnt immediately call it a lie just because things changed.

6 minutes ago, Bartek said:

Guys? A little bit of faith in the management of Canva and Serif? Let's put it straight: at this moment Affinity is still growing and has a long path ahead of it before it reaches the goal of ACCORDING to Adobe's level. Right now the HUGE benefit to users is the purchase model and they would have to be out of their minds to change anything about it at this point.

In other words: Affinity purchase model gives too much advantage to their target users (and this is a different part of the market than Canva users) than to be so easily lost.

sure they would be out of their minds to do it considering it's more or less the only real advantage but in pursuit of quick money long term be damned a lot of stuff happens. and canva as a company working with subscriptions it's kinda ugly. also statements like "There are no changes to our current pricing model planned at this time", where there is no indication of any guaranteed times for how long v2 lasts or how long they plan to keep the one time purchase model other than "at this time", which can mean anything as well as literally nothing at all.

also it's not nesecarily about believing the management of specific companies, but just considering how these things kinda always went the scepticism is real and warranted, or can you list any examples where a good thing "joining the family" of something with clearly red flags ended up good?

2 minutes ago, My1 said:

can you list any examples

No. But - Canva is succesfull company and they probably know what they buy. Affinity is in the process of development and if they don't want to just devour it then they need to let it grow and use the main advantage it has now - the sales model. For now.

5 minutes ago, Bartek said:

No. But - Canva is succesfull company and they probably know what they buy.

Yes, they sure do know. :-/ You can say the same about Maxon, Adobe… and look how the aquired companies´ products fared in regards to their respective customers…

1 hour ago, Bartek said:

Guys? A little bit of faith in the management of Canva and Serif?

Sorry, I've seen so many acquisitions in the last 20 years, hell 30 years that went downhill for the users and consumers. The chance that this will be any different is very low. Canva spent a lot of of money on this, and they want their money back, this has to come from somewhere (meaning users).

Edited by Thomas Bohn
The cold and my state about this does not improve my spelling.

7 minutes ago, Napkin6534 said:

Yes, the sure do know. You can say the same about Maxon, Adobe… and look how the aquired companies´ products fared in regards to their respective customers…

What I mean is that they probably understand that they didn't buy their competition, which they have to slaughter, and they didn't buy a finished product from which they will be able to profit right away only acquired a promising, growing plant, which in a while will grow to the size of a tree on which to hang a swing and only then fall from it.

1 hour ago, heldrida said:

Affinity has some of the best software, with Apple-like quality.

The sad part is they actually don't. As both an Affinity AND Adobe user, I much prefer the user interface and consistency between Affinity apps, but that's about as far as things go. Personally, I've had many freezes, crashes and slowdowns in Affinity. There's a slather of missing functions in Affinity apps that have been in competitor (including free) software for years, file compatibility issues with commercial software etc. I honestly can't recall my last crash or instability issue with Adobe software. So, with that argument in mind, subscription or not, if the Affinity software doesn't receive a decent injection of functionally and stability under Canva, I'll gladly stop paying for it. Many of us are here simply because of Affinity's visions, and that one day the software might be close to perfect. I have no loyalty to Canva, and personally don't like them as a company.

22 minutes ago, Bartek said:

Guys? A little bit of faith in the management of Canva and Serif?

I've been in the graphics business since the early 90s and have seen a few of these takeovers. Experience teaches us not to trust the acquiring company, because these companies are primarily interested in the customer base of the acquired company and the money of its users, not in making the products better.

And the announcements about the pricing model are just as similar as the statements made by the CEOs of the acquired companies. "A great future in a great partnership with the new partner. Great things are already shining on the horizon." And so on, and so on. All heard umpteen times before. And the real development has been seen umpteen times.

And the contributions to the discussion are the same every time, including the call to have a little faith in the companies. It's all been done before.

23 minutes ago, Bartek said:

No. But - Canva is succesfull company and they probably know what they buy. Affinity is in the process of development and if they don't want to just devour it then they need to let it grow and use the main advantage it has now - the sales model. For now.

sure they know what they buy, similarly to many other companies, but the problem is not what they buy but what they do with what they buy.

They dont buy affinity to make it better they buy affinity to make money, that can include putting affinity features into canva and letting affinity die, monetizing affinity to hell and back or a mixture of both. or but I cant judge that if they compete in any way it's a neat way to get rid of competition, as has been done often enough.

15 minutes ago, Thomas Bohn said:

Sorry, I've seen so many acquisitions in the last 20 years, hell 30 years that went downhill for the users and consumers. The chance that this will be any different is very low. Canvy spent a lot of of money on this, and they want their money back, this has to come from somewhere (meaning users).

literally this.

10 minutes ago, chessboard said:

I've been in the graphics business since the early 90s and have seen a few of these takeovers. Experience teaches us not to trust the acquiring company, because these companies are primarily interested in the customer base of the acquired company and the money of its users, not in making the products better.

And the announcements about the pricing model are just as similar as the statements made by the CEOs of the acquired companies. "A great future in a great partnership with the new partner. Great things are already shining on the horizon." And so on, and so on. All heard umpteen times before. And the real development has been seen umpteen times.

And the contributions to the discussion are the same every time, including the call to have a little faith in the companies. It's all been done before.

While I havent been in the business at all really, I'd say this is the case across businesses, when companies acquire each other it generally ends up badly.