You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Items Selection Nightmare :(

Tazintosh

In Affinity 2.0 and in the new Beta 2.1 releases, this was also not fixed.
Version 1 works very well, I checked, but I can't work in version 1.0 anymore because I already created too many files in version 2.0.
Somehow, there was such a big bug in the creation of text objects in version 2, and none of the creators of Serif noticed it.
We've been reporting this bug to Serif since November last year.
You really can't work with text objects like that.
I work on a daily basis in a company using this program and I still have problems with selecting other objects next to or below the texts.
I know there are workarounds. CTRL, ALT and others, but why?
The program should work without any workarounds, version 1 proves it.
SERIF, please, fix this BUG as soon as possible in the next Beta, because this will go on for the next six months. It's now been 5 months since the 2.0 release with this bug.
Is it such a huge technical difficulty? Incorrigible?
Do I have to pay extra for a bug fix?
All right. Enter your account number - I'll transfer the money.

On 3/5/2023 at 2:35 PM, GRAFKOM said:

Do I have to pay extra for a bug fix?

I don't think this is a bug.

You added so many returns to the text so the text actually occupies the whole of the page.

If you delete all those returns you won't have that problem.

This is an edge case, I agree, I'm not sure whether it's a bug. 

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Reminds me this behavior from Sketch (except here with Affinity, it's a bug):

It's a behaviour for which I answered the following:

Ok, actually trying last version 94.1, 6 years (!!!) later this post.
The —issue— (yes I call it an issue) is still there (if I'm missing something, please prove me wrong).
I won't go further with such an app, it's that simple. I cannot accept an app (today almost 2023) cannot distinguish that whenever the user hovers the bounding box of an actually selected element and drag means that he actually wants to move this element… This is beyond me.

Sometimes, I wonder if those companies are actually —working— with their apps :(

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

Why work around? All I do, every day is work-around issues in this app. It's HORRIBLE! Work around export persona, work around selecting items with HUGE invisible empty selection boxes, work around bleed issues, and so on. I don't think even Serif uses this app. I don't care about this forum anymore, Serif has demonstrated enough by ignoring all the major bugs we post. I've kept away, and will keep away every person in my friend circle to purchase this app, and V3 will not see my $ for sure.

IT'S WORSE THAN V1

Edited by Leigh

Why can this not be fixed?  This has been happening since V.2 was released.  

Every time I work with multiple layers of text, when I attempt to select a "smaller height" text, the larger always gets selected.  It's the biggest beating ever.  This never happened on V.1.....

I'm on MacBook Pro M1

SCR-20230309-mpr.png

• 2 weeks later...

This explains alot, I had this odd feeling that selecting text in AFD V2 was feeling more cumbersome than it used to. The selection should definitely be based on bounding box and not invisible letter height.

It would also be nice if there was an option in the settings that would prevent tool switching on anything but an apparent double click. I feel like my tools in AFD 2.0 have a habit of switching on their own alot more than they did in V1, and not just the text tool, the Node tool will activate it self quite often on it's own while using the rounded corner tool as an example. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Indeed, this is still not fixed, absolutely unbelievable, yet true
However under those conditions:

• When a smaller text is right next/touching/under a much bigger one,
  • And when the smaller text is under the much bigger one on the layer hierarchy.
  • --> the ⌥ (option) key actually does work reliably to select it compared to before.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

18 hours ago, DylanGG said:

I'm very surprised this wasn't fixed in the final release of v2.1 - any updates on this?

Unbelievable, it's not fixed. I've just downloaded v2.1. I had a test file on Desktop for months to test this when 2.1 comes out. And I did not use v2 at all just because of this "small" issue. And it's still not fixed. No words. Unbelievable. 

Here's another thread for the same issue. How many more topics should be created to for the bug to get fixed?

I hoped for 2.1 to fix it too. Its quite annoying when you are working with lot of objects and texts.

My another hope that the devs will fix it soon and release the patch for official 2.1 version. Im not using Beta and don't want to wait another few months for 2.2 to fix this issue in non-beta release. :)

1 hour ago, norbinw said:

Yeah, they don't do that here. Game breaking bugs like the "failed to save, I will now dump your work to trash" took 2 months to fix. There is no hot patching anymore, like in the V1 days. 

Yes, I have unfortunately noticed that. So I guess non-beta users will have to wait another half a year for a fix (assuming it is somehow a priority thing). 

• Staff

Hi JOleg, LibOne, norbinw, everyone,
I'm sorry this issue didn't get fixed in the latest 2.1 update. It's still logged/open to be sorted out - I've updated/bumped it yet again. It should be fixed in the next update if all goes as planned. My apologies for the delay and the inconvenience this is causing you.