You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Upgraded forums notice

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce that on the afternoon of Tuesday 16th of November these forums were upgraded to version 4.6.7 of the IP Board forums .

There are a few new features and you can check out the full list of change notes by clicking on the release notes.

If you see any problems please post in this thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Though this issue is not caused by the forums software update you possibly might be able to check or repair it. Since Saturday night I am unable to upload image or video to a specific thread (no issues with others). It started with an "error -200" (known from years ago but not appearing for a long time), then a hanging upload with displayed upload item ("upload failed"), followed by note "This field is required" when I tried to submit a post.

Since yesterday it appears to be hanging at a stage of "Loading…" as soon I click on "Reply to this topic…" to open the text editor (which opens as an empty field as expected). – Only Attachments are affected, I am able to post text. – Do you have a chance for any intervention or idea to fix it myself?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/152751-ad-pixel-persona-brush-–-colour-well-ui-in-various-panels/

Before I used to reload the page which appeared to work and reloading caused an option to clean the field. Meanwhile reloading does not change for this page anymore but sticks with "Loading…", so I closed any serif.com browser tab & the browser app but it didn't change, too.

1396991415_error-200respfieldrequired.thumb.jpg.6c1bdebe43aed7f4c7c56bb561dfbb70.jpg

845168452_forumissueLoading.jpg.8b81040ab21c29e0dc1a8aa8564c272a.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

@thomaso

Are you confirming that this problem remains after the upgrade?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick, yes, according to my issues in that thread the forums software update seems to have no influence. When entering the reply field it still indicates "Loading…". (second screenshot above), Also, it still triggers the following error message when I click on the "thank you" icon for a post in this thread, before as after the update:

2099460355_forumerrorreactionproblem.jpg.f2bffb27955eae50385d90cc41b02b34.jpg

Not a problem for me but I notice that the 'reputation' count that used to be on the left along with the post count is no longer there. I don't know if that is intentional or an oversight.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Not a problem for me but I notice that the 'reputation' count that used to be on the left along with the post count is no longer there. I don't know if that is intentional or an oversight.

Part of a change that's not visible yet, but may come soon

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

the 'reputation' count

The problem with this counter, in my opinion, is that it has nothing to do with "reputation", ie the expertise and credibility of the user. It's just the number of nods and consensus in opinions, for example on posts like - it's going to rain tomorrow. Therefore, it is a great pity, that it is not possible to set a real reputation directly for users, based on their knowledge and contribution to the forum and other users (it could be assigned, for example, only by administrators).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Neither is the "title" like Advanced Member (which changes as one accumulates time and posts, and which some of us can change manually).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, Pšenda said:

The problem with this counter, in my opinion, is that it has nothing to do with "reputation", ie the expertise and credibility of the user.

I always saw it like "what a nice person to meet".

Best regards!

• Staff

@thomaso

Can you try now please, we've changed a timeout

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
6 hours ago, Pšenda said:

The problem with this counter, in my opinion, is that it has nothing to do with "reputation", ie the expertise and credibility of the user.

So there's a simple post count (+1 per post) but moderators can now give additional reputation and achievement for specifically helpful posts/replies. We had a simple choice of restarting everyone at 0 reputation or automatically calculating based on +1 per post (and +1 per upload). However right now the achievement part is hidden. Gameification and achievements in these forums is not meant to be competitive, and for now this feature is hidden, while we asses it's implications and the default implementation

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

for specifically helpful posts/replies.

I think it would be very beneficial if the user could add some posts to their bookmark list. For example, if it is a contribution with an interesting procedure, with important information, or with a frequently asked problem, which could be easily and quickly referred to. The advantage of these forum bookmarks over local ones in the browser would be that they could be used to gain a reputation and benefits for other users. The user (for example, a novice) could easily read posts that have been marked as valuable and beneficial by other users, where he will find interesting information about applications and workflows that would otherwise be lost in the depths of the forum.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

like Advanced Member

Same problem as reputation. Under the name "Advanced" user, I expect an experienced and knowledgeable user who "knows everything" :-) At the same time, he is only a skilled writer of posts and questions. If, in addition to the number of posts, their length is included here, then we have a clear winner (jgd :-)

• Staff

There is a problem downloading newly uploaded .MOV file attachments on Chrome that we are trying to resolve. If you find any threads where .MOV files have been attached and you are browsing using Chrome so cannot download or preview the file, let me know and I will do my best to mend the post.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

41 minutes ago, user_0815 said:

General question regarding the forum software:

Is it possible to "jump" right to the first unread comment in a topic? Often I want to catch up and see the new unread comments since I last left or posted in a topic.

In the Unread Content list, click on the blue dot (or star, for a thread you posted in) next to the topic title.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Patrick Connor said:

There is a problem downloading newly uploaded .MOV file attachments on Chrome that we are trying to resolve. If you find any threads where .MOV files have been attached and you are browsing using Chrome so cannot download or preview the file, let me know and I will do my best to mend the post.

Is it only Chrome that’s affected? When I posted a screen recording the other day, I got a complaint that it couldn’t be viewed on iPad (although I could view it myself in Safari on iPad).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Is it only Chrome that’s affected?

something to do with this bug, but I have a (horrible) work around

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/463032-theres-something-wrong-with-mov-files-embedding/

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Can you try now please, we've changed a timeout

It's still "Loading…" when I open that page and activate the text field. Page reload doesn't change. Now I just pressed "Submit Reply" with an empty posting. Then "Loading…" was replaced by the normal UI for uploads. When I try to upload I get the error -200, for this little JPGs:    952555079_clearfillonpopulatebutton.jpg.d8e380f077fed9965ad5318f1c9a08ec.jpg   /   1673906407_SizePictureFrametoContentbutton.jpg.88fe15fb7387ae257603c5aaaec3b482.jpg

That is again where / how my upload issues in this thread have started. I experienced the process in the clip below before the forums update. Then I had posted text only in my following posts.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I think it would be very beneficial if the user could add some posts to their bookmark list.

Click the "..." icon for the post. Depending on your browser, right-click on Share, or click-and-hold, and choose the appropriate "add bookmark", "add to reading list", etc. link.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

That is again where / how my upload issues in this thread have started.

Possibly:

• Sign out of the forums and back in.
    or
  • Clear your browser cache. (Does it happen with a different browser?)

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:
  • Sign out of the forums and back in.
    or
  • Clear your browser cache. (Does it happen with a different browser?)

• A different browser (Safari) did work for upload in the affected thread.

• Signing out in my standard forums browser (Cliqz /~mozilla) does not work, even if signed out it is "Loading…" as soon I enter the text field.

1585558601_forumuplaodissue-signedout.thumb.jpg.e49bf909f6fc937b988cf1c56056412b.jpg

Is there a way to clean the browser cache (mac) selectively for this specific page only? I want to avoid losing all sorts of user related settings, as e.g. read status or history of the Affinity forums – and I definitely don't want to clean all cache data of other sites.

The browser options appear to clean the cache either entirely for all content (1.2 GB) … button "Remove Data…"

59066680_forumbrowserchacheclean1.thumb.jpg.3ccc0ef78994f3d9951d38895c9c645d.jpg

… or with its manage option (button "Daten verwalten) selectively for the entire forums.serif site – whereas I don't know what the latter in fact would cause by removing "cookies" and "website data":

1072527278_forumbrowserchacheclean2.thumb.jpg.1ded396892510d6b14b1aa3bfe21ddda.jpg

I have to say that I really miss the reputation count. It was a nice quantification in numeric terms (is that a redundancy?) of the community’s estimation on the positive contribution of a user to the community. It was a motivating factor for me in the kinds of posts I made. Rather than just spamming raw post count, I considered my own reputation to total posts ratio, aiming to make posts that could be judged helpful or some other positive contribution (such as humor or compliments). Further, the forum was not previously configured for any kind of negative reputation (such as a dislike), I don’t see the harm.

Edit: I see that reputation is still visible when hovering over a user. So I guess that means that the reputation concept is not really gone. My observation above still stands, but at least I know now that reputation is not going away, contrary to my understanding at the time I wrote it. I would have preferred reputation to be displayed by default, but I am not upset by the change. I can hover, and other people who don't care can ignore. I am okay with that.

Edited by garrettm30
Additional clarification added and marked "Edit:"

42 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Is there a way to clean the browser cache (mac) selectively for this specific page only?

Just to be clear, I am suggesting clearing specifically the cache (pages and page elements), not cookies.

I have no familiarity with your browser (never heard of it before) and with your UI in German I'm afraid I can't make any further suggestions right now. But I'll check Firefox and see what options I would use there.

-- Walt
PC: