You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.1)

Thanks MEB … :)

And another question: once this is fixed, will we have the option to choose an application-wide default font instead of Arial? I miss this feature very much. It would be nice, if we could simply choose a font (and its desired attributes) on the new typography panel, while no document is open, and this font would be the new application-wide default font then … as it is the case in Indes*gn for example …  ;)

Cheers, Alex  :)

Love the new text panels. WAY better then before.  :D

What happened to multiple artboards?

+ some PDF’s still don’t open fine for some reason. Sent a email with the file not opening right. :(

P.S. PS text position bug I reported 3 times already still not fixed.  :(

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

The improved pdf import and the new pdf export engine just made my day.

I had a bunch of tables in pdf with corrupted font information that would produce rubbish when the final document was processed in Acrobat. Importing them into the latest AD beta now worked much better than before, and the exported file (pdf X/1a) would be nice and slime (pdf files are nearly 10 times smaller than before compared to the MAS version). 

Thanks a lot for that!

/Miro

(Now I'm only waiting for Affinity Publisher to put my tables in)

Hi there,

I found some other UI glitches with the Character / Paragraph panels … strange things happen under some circumstances, when I use the context toolbar buttons to bring up the panels. Please have a look at my video, and please note how flipping out “Typography >” and “Language >” on the Character panel helps to cure the issues …

PS. Maybe we can dispense with these context toolbar buttons altogether now?

EDIT Deleted movie due to upload limits.

One thing I'm still noticing is that attempting to create slices from a layer group with a vector crop mask, the slices by default aren't aligning to the crop—the slice is either looking at the resolution of an image within the crop mask or it's just strangely off and needs a lot of tweaking to be snapped correctly, even with a precise (10px, in my case) pixel grid.

From there, I have to zoom in to about 300% to edit the slices accurately, to get them to snap to the grid. Otherwise it seems rather "stuck" off of the grid by default.

I can't change font in the new character palette.

I've my font list, when scrolling, my text takes the the right font but after clicking one font, text comes back with the original font.

The old horizontal text palette is ok.

Hi titowait, can you let us know which font family?

ITC Kabel Std. It comes with several faces: Book, Medium, Demi, Bold, and Ultra. In 10.11, Bold appears to be missing. What's actually happening is that Ultra is missing; selecting Ultra gives the Bold face, and the Ultra face is nowhere to be found. Clicking the "bold" button (instead of selecting it from the drop-down) makes it bold, as well, but under the incorrect Ultra heading.

I´ve been off a couple of weeks (right after the AppStore update to 1.3.5), and coming back there is this new beta already! Thank you. 

A few lines in the list are (were?) really major issues for me... Amazing again - I don´t remember how often I´ve said or thought this before. Off again, but for testing now.

• Staff

Hi there,

I found some other UI glitches with the Character / Paragraph panels … strange things happen under some circumstances, when I use the context toolbar buttons to bring up the panels. Please have a look at my video, and please note how flipping out “Typography >” and “Language >” on the Character panel helps to cure the issues …

PS. Maybe we can dispense with these context toolbar buttons altogether now?

This should be fixed in the next beta!

• Staff

ITC Kabel Std. It comes with several faces: Book, Medium, Demi, Bold, and Ultra. In 10.11, Bold appears to be missing. What's actually happening is that Ultra is missing; selecting Ultra gives the Bold face, and the Ultra face is nowhere to be found. Clicking the "bold" button (instead of selecting it from the drop-down) makes it bold, as well, but under the incorrect Ultra heading.

Is this a paid font? Can you check if the font validates in Font Book? Thanks.

• Staff

Yes, it could very likely be an issue.  This happens if the file that you have open has been changed by an external app while you have it open.  This could happen with some source control systems, or if two people attempt to access the same file across a network share.

Our saving system relies on saving just the parts of the file that have changed - for this we need to know that the file hasn't been changed by another app, so there are a number of checks we make - if any of these fail, then this message will be displayed and the document will be closed.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

PDF export has issues. Below is a comparison of the same SVG exported from iDraw and the new beta.

post-1281-0-40473100-1441213738_thumb.png

The app store version also suffers from jagged/stroked edges but it maintains transparency instead of the solid black background. I tried all formats of PDF and they were all the same. The black background is part of the image when opened with other apps.

AD also rasterises where iDraw exports vector. The beta doesnt give the option but the app store version exports nothing if rasterise is disabled.

Is this a paid font? Can you check if the font validates in Font Book? Thanks.

Yep. Validates just fine.

Also, in an entirely unrelated issue, I opened Designer Beta and it offered to recover a file due to a crash ... yet there had been no crash, and I had previously closed the app without a document open. Sadly, I didn't opt to "recover" it, so I'm not sure how much this report is worth. I was in a bit of a hurry at the time.

post-15350-0-57177000-1441215254_thumb.png

Wow, those are huge improvements in character and paragraph panels.  Thanks!

I do have one question / possibly suggestion.  I do a lot of typography, (word art stuff) but I'm also coming from CorelDRAW instead of AI.  If I wanted to do a phrase in 3 lines, what I did before was type out the phrase in 3 lines, then choose the leading.  (which I'm puzzled why I'm limited at 0, as I usually want the letters closer together than for text) and then I would be able to highlight just the one line of the phrase and tweak it if the ascenders or descenders are overlapping.

I know I could do basically the same thing in AD by creating 3 separate artistic text, but the other seems easier, possibly because I'm used to it?  The other way also seems easier if you're working on two different kernings in the same word.  Maybe I'm just stuck in my old ways... wondering what others (especially those coming from AI) think?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.