Baptiste

Feature Request : Brushes management

Hi' here !

Hope all is fine for everybody :)

Here is a request I would like to share. I saw many topics on the subject but not really answers or message that it's taken into account.

My suggestion is to improve brushes management.

- Easier way to change brush : A context menu to change brush. It's quite annoying to cross all the screen in order to change the brush.

- Easier way to find a brush : Get the name over the brush display et have a field in order to filter by name. When a lot of brush are in a category it's quite annoying to look for the wanted brush, lost amoung the others, again and again and again.

- Sub-category : To avoid having many categories and avoiding looking for a brush lost amoung others it could be great to get sub-categories. For example Nature > Animals or Nature > Plants, ...

Thanks in advance :)

41 minutes ago, Baptiste said:

No discussion on that ?

Surprisingly, no.¬†ūü§®

I have seen some suggestions now and then - I believe a made a suggestion similar to yours a year ago or two.

I am a supporter of great brush-creating talents out there and I purchased quite a few brushes for this reason. Now I have a mess I can't reorder in Designers pixel persona, so there is definitely room for improvement and your suggestions all make total sense to me. 

This topic is at the top of my list.  I'm using AP to paint and have bought some neat brushes.  Would really be nice to have a way to work with them more easily.  Also, there is currently no way to reset a brush to its default settings after working with it.

Hi guys,

As for Digital painting, it would be great to have several features. So far, drawing/painting with AP is quite a pain in the a.. when it comes to select/ change a brush often. I believe it would be good for AP to improve that aspect of the software. So far, I feel it's more made for photographers than for digital artists per se.

I'm talking about these simple features  (not meaning easy to implement. Let's give credit to the development team):

- Context menu (right clic or customizable) when using the brush tool, allowing access to all the brushes in the selected category, at least . All the brushes would be even better. The context menu would provide access to the size of the brush as well.

- In the side bar, Brush window, previewing the strokes should be an option. It would be possible to see the brushes in a grid rather than in a list. The size of the pictures in that grid would be chosen from the option menu (small/ medium/big).

On 6/25/2020 at 4:18 AM, MCoville said:

Recently I've found my brush dropdown to be a mess and there is no way to sort them. Something like the asset manager for brushes would be brilliant. Category -> Subcategory, and let us move brush groups with drag and drop.

I have the same problem. Have a huge collection of brushes from my Adobe time and import my most used in Affinity. Incredible mess.

Would really love to have the possibility to sort them better.

Fully agreed on all points. Also, fix the bug where Affinity does not remember which brush is being used when changing brush size and the bug on Windows where Affinity does not remember which brush category was open from the last session and instead resets to the Basic category every time. Super annoying to deal with to say the least.

I am a yes vote for this as well!!!  It is a huge usability issue...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 10.15.5 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 48 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Affinity Designer 1.8.4 | Affinity Photo 1.8.4 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.4 | Capture One 20 Pro | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

On 5/25/2020 at 11:11 PM, Baptiste said:

Hi' here !

Hope all is fine for everybody :)

Here is a request I would like to share. I saw many topics on the subject but not really answers or message that it's taken into account.

My suggestion is to improve brushes management.

- Easier way to change brush : A context menu to change brush. It's quite annoying to cross all the screen in order to change the brush.

- Easier way to find a brush : Get the name over the brush display et have a field in order to filter by name. When a lot of brush are in a category it's quite annoying to look for the wanted brush, lost amoung the others, again and again and again.

- Sub-category : To avoid having many categories and avoiding looking for a brush lost amoung others it could be great to get sub-categories. For example Nature > Animals or Nature > Plants, ...

Thanks in advance :)

This major usability issue certainly deserves a solution together with another issue, that brushes should be shared between all three programs.

^^^ That design consideration was always odd to me...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 10.15.5 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 48 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Affinity Designer 1.8.4 | Affinity Photo 1.8.4 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.4 | Capture One 20 Pro | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

I'd love to be able to select multiple categories or brushes in the dropdown to delete or move all at one time.  It is an incredibly tedious process to select and delete brushes and brush categories.

In Capture One managing styles is as simple as (on a Mac):  

1.  Navigate to MacIntosh HD > Users > "User Name" > Library > Application Support > Capture One > Styles

2.  Use Finder to create folders, rename folder, etc... Yes you can have sub folders so it is easy to organize different collections by one source.

[Managing brushes this way would not require writing a new brush management module but simply putting them where we can get to them...]

1131104696_StylesScreenShotSubFolders.png.e75ef92ded4b2420e9bf92abca3d0f33.png

This is a screen shot of my entire styles folder (I rarely use styles but have a propensity to collect them 9_9)

205487836_StylesScreenShot.png.09cab73b7a9be06a3ae83336b8aef253.png