You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

First I will say that I am very happy to see this software and impressed with what I have seen so far...with one exception. The lack of a complete user manual. I don't understand the idea among developers that their job begins and ends with the software and users will fumble and stumble and guess their way to a working knowledge of the program. Video tutorials are great and helpful. So is knowing I have a reference, provided by the developer, that explains what every tool, panel, and menu option is and what it does, as though the person reading it has never worked with this software before. This is especially true for a new software that hasn't been around long enough for authors to fill the void with How To books. From what I can see the information available under Affinity Photo Help is bare bones at best and some of the bones are missing. I spent a lot of time learning Illustrator and enough of Photoshop to do what I need and I am disgusted with Adobe's switch to subscription based software availability. So the discovery of Affinity Design and Photo is very exciting to me. Stumbling through video's and searching YouTube and Google for additional information to understand how to use your products...that is not so exciting.

• Staff
Many thanks for the positive replies so far.  :)

I thought i'd round up a few misc questions with a few answers..

- Exercise files. Our video tutorials are demonstrating the functionality only so we haven't set out to supply exercise files with them.

You may be interested to know that we're looking at possible online training courses (Designer and Photo) which would be capable of  providing supporting exercise files.

- Written documentation. We are in the process of developing a handbook for Designer and Photo. I think Designer will come first.

There are no plans to provide printed material, instead an iBook or PDF will be offered from the affinity.serif.com website.

The dynamic nature of Affinity functionality would be difficult to capture in print form - a printed guide would be out of date very quickly and I think we'd end up with unhappy customers. 

- French. No plans for French narration on video tutorial. Of course, you do get French help as part of the app.

Best regards

Andy Capstick

• Staff
Hi jmac, 

Sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the lack of a user manual.

The focus has been predominantly on getting our Help and Video Tutorials correct. It has been essential that we reflect the UI and functionality in these deliverables up to release.

The good news is that were giving more focus to planned handbooks now.

I'm also concerned that you feel the Affinity Photo Help is not comprehensive enough or that it lacks information. You should find that all tools and panels are documented and can be accessed from the contents or searched for using the search box - if you're not seeing this please let me know.  

Could I ask if you would be able to point out some of these omissions and we'll have a look and get onto improving them.

How do you learn best? 

Regards

Andy 

These tutorials are excellent. Instructions are clearly spoken and well paced so that it is easy follow. They are broken down into appropriate sections with the length just right so that you don't forget what was demonstrated at the beginning.

Full marks to Affinity again.

Yes, I would like a manual at some stage but appreciate that as Andy wrote above that whilst the programmes are in their infancy it is too early to produce them.

In the meantime I would be very happy with the tutorials,especially if they are added to. 

Online training courses sounds very interesting indeed; look forward to reading more about them

- Written documentation. We are in the process of developing a handbook for Designer and Photo. I think Designer will come first.
There are no plans to provide printed material, instead an iBook or PDF will be offered from the affinity.serif.com website.
The dynamic nature of Affinity functionality would be difficult to capture in print form - a printed guide would be out of date very quickly and I think we'd end up with unhappy customers. 

Would it be possible to offer the written help chapters in AP as _one_ printable document while we wait for a handbook?

:blink:

In-house Affinity Photo Video Tutorials seems more catered to professionals & Photo Shop users.

Very difficult for amateurs, totally new to photo editing software.

I purchased this 2 weeks back and still not able grasp one single bit of your quick tutorials!

Look forward to some more intuitive/detailed step by step tutorials for biginners.

Great launch indeed!  :)

Fantastic new product; I´m mighty impressed with it already (except for its speed with opening my Fujifilm X-Trans raw files). I am using Photoshop CS6, Photo Suite 9.5 (stand alone and plugins) and NIK components with all my raw files. It feels so good to have Affinity Photo on the HD already, instead of the Adobe monster. Especially liked one of the last comments in the presentation: ´No Subscription´. :P

I have watched the tutorials in the list in the order given since last week. However, before starting section ´7. Develop´, I couldn´t resist and got Affinity Designer as well from the AppStore, yesterday evening. It will complement my already existing toolset quite nicely. Congrats with your 2015 Apple Design Award!

Now back on topic: wouldn´t it be nice to have a list ordered / organised like published here, for that other product? Pinned here just like this one. I launched a search, could not find it alas. It´s so mighty convenient compared to just picking one from the main site!