Hey guys, when I was testing an early Beta of Publisher it was able to import an InDesign file directly, so I bought Publisher in anticipation of a complete escape from Adobe, but Publisher doesn't seem to be able to do that now.  I read a thread that last year the ability to import IDML files was expected in weeks, but when I converted all my InD files in anticipation of Mac Catalina (my CS6 will no longer work) I found that they are still not importable. All greyed out.   Where are we on this issue?

I have used Publisher since the first Public Beta, and there was never a time it was able to import InDesign files, that I saw.

There was discussion that it might someday be able to import InDesign files, later clarified to indicate that someday Serif intended to support import of IDML but not other InDesign files. Never has a date been stated.

I'm sure Serif views it as a high priority, but I have no idea when it might arrive as a function accessible to us.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

I echo what Walt has said. I also began using the beta on the first day it was publicly available. In fact, the thread where many people requested support for opening InDesign files dates back to the very first day:

I am not aware that the ability to import IDML was ever promised to be mere “weeks” away. Officially we have no idea when it will be implemented, but we have been given a rather big clue. Another user posted a link to an interview (see below) with Ashley Hewson.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, RNKLN said:

Ashley Hewson the CEO of Serif was in the Essential Apple podcast recently and talked, among other things, about support for IDML files. Here's a link.

So here is some of what he said:

Beginning at 35:17, the host of the program asked this question: “When will there be a workbook for Publisher?” Ash answered: “That will definitely be out next year… I would expect it to be out in the first half of next year… We actually also want another couple of features to make its way onto the app before we launch the workbook, so the first thing is that the IDML import is very close to being available.” The host, after his own commentary, added, “There are a lot of people out there rubbing their hands with glee should that come up as a headline feature in the, well, let’s say in the next year or so.” Ash responded, “Yeah, I mean, hopefully it will be sooner than that, but at the same time it would be rather amiss if we launch a workbook that doesn’t talk about the IDML import feature.”

Based on that, the public estimate (I should call special attention to that word, especially as elsewhere in the interview Ash talked about the uncertainties of dates in development) is that IDML import should be available by the time the Publisher workbook becomes available, which itself is expected next year, hoped for the first half of next year.