Sign in to follow this  
dhb

Scaling line length - Designer as a basic CAD application

I've been using lots of design software for years (2D & 3D), and let me just say Designer is the best I've ever used.  It's intuitive, smooth and rich. 

The core of my work is architectural & engineering design (so I use a lot of CAD software) and it occurs to me that, if Designer had an option to set scale it would also serve as a nice, simple CAD program.  i.e. you could start an A3 sheet, set the scale to 1:100 and then when you draw a 1000mm line it produced a line 10mm long on the document. 

It's just a thought, I realise CAD is not the target market, and the programmers have got better things to do with their time.

Dan

I too am an Architect and Landscape Designer and have used FreeHand for years and an now moving over to Affinity Designer but had to compensate for permanent 1:1 scale.
The ability to change scales would be wonderful.
The CAD programs out there are very complex and VERY expensive - programs like Affinity Designer can easily operate as drafting applications - no need for 3D 

Well, CAD apps are great for design but AD is needed for presentation and making press ready documents. Scale function would be nice as it would take away one headache... when I have a rectangle 83 mm wide it would be in 1:50 scale.... ummm what...? It is not difficult but I always have to check I am not doing 1:200 scale instead... and repeat that with every object..

Agree. EVERY vector based drawing program should provide for user-defined ruler scales. There is no need for any CAD related "apologies." User-defined drawing scale is just as basic to general-purpose illustration for print, signage design, whatever. I've been saying this for decades.

And it's yet another no-brainer, low-hanging-fruit opportunity to exceed the archaic functionality of Adobe Illustrator.

JET

This is something we are aware of.

Not saying much more than that just now......

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB