I would also like to suggest the "Balance ragged lines" feature. This is something I use in almost every publication I produce.

For those who do not know what I am talking about, this is a feature from InDesign. Imagine a center-aligned heading that is just a bit too long to fit on a single line. Normally, this would mean only the last word or so would get bumped to the next line. Such as this:

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy
dog

Balance ragged lines would instead display the following, without any need for forcing a line break:

The quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy dog

+1 very useful

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

This would be stupendous, BUT I’d like to be able to override it on a per-line basis, and insert hyphenation manually in an otherwise non-hyphenated paragraph. But, a great feature suggestion.

My experience with this feature is mixed at best, I finally just shut it off.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.8.4 | Affinity Photo 1.8.4 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.4 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.9.0.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.9.0.196 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.9.0.742

On 9/1/2018 at 1:28 AM, garrettm30 said:

Balance ragged lines would instead display the following, without any need for forcing a line break:

The quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy dog

Unfortunately it is much better to do this manually. I would prefer the one above be:

The quick brown fox
jumped over the lazy dog

On 3/29/2020 at 7:51 AM, Fixx said:

it is much better to do this manually

The irony is, because this just forum layout, the example I gave was in fact done manually, and I broke it where I preferred the break (I prefer the longer line on top). As you noted, you "prefer" it another way, and of course there is room for different preferences. However, in view of the fact that preferences on where to divide the line manually do vary, I respectfully disagree with your statement that doing it manually is "much better."

But whether longer line on top or not (or perhaps rather division by semantics or not), I prefer even more the savings of time. I recently had a project involving many hundreds of pages of poetic line where each line of verse was a hanging indent. Many of the lines extended beyond a single line by only a word or two, meaning the overflow line was short, and the overall look of the page struck me as hectic, as though the columns of text looked like a comb. I started out by spending several hours manually breaking the lines, but I wasn't even 10% complete and I was running out of time on my schedule. I tried the automatic balance ragged lines in InDesign, and I liked the overall balance of the page better. In fact, I went back and undid most of my manual work and opted instead for the automatic for a clean, consistent appearance.

Also another reason: as a general principle, I avoid as much as possible achieving format by inserting elements into the text.

It is clear that not everyone has the same use to this feature, but it does have its use.

There are times when I very much prefer to use "balance ragged lines" for the same reasons stated by @garrettm30. If nothing else, it provides a good starting point. Other times, this provides an undesirable effect … but is, after all, why we still have human typesetters, right ;-) . "Balance ragged lines" is a tool, like any other in our toolbox, and it's nice to have it available.