Hello, I am new to masks and have a question I am really hoping has an easy answer.   I have created a document imported an image and then created  a mask.  I am wondering what are the steps I must follow to edit the mask to make further adjustments as no matter what I try I cannot get into it. Apologies for the beginner question.

13 hours ago, Trev Raymond said:

Hello, I am new to masks and have a question I am really hoping has an easy answer.   I have created a document imported an image and then created  a mask.  I am wondering what are the steps I must follow to edit the mask to make further adjustments as no matter what I try I cannot get into it. Apologies for the beginner question.

You can just paint on the mask layer. Make sure just the mask layer is selected by clicking on the mask layer thumbnail (see below), choose a Paint Brush and either black paint (to add to the mask and erase the image) or white paint (to remove the mask and reveal the image) and paint on the mask layer. As you do, you can see the effect on the image.

You can also paint in grey for a semi transparent mask.

m1.jpg.e0d6b19703c51e088fd1e476ab920632.jpg

If you  right click on the mask, there are also some Edit options

mask.jpg.5168b0a3d3394ada3f5391f00ba97a3e.jpg

Edit Mask displays the mask as black and white.

Refine Mask loads in into the Refine Selection panel.

Release Mask just moves it outside the image layer. So it is no longer nested.

P.S. If you are using Affinity Designer, you will need to be in Pixel Persona to paint on it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hi Trev Raymond,

Welcome to the forums :) 
To edit a mask layer, simply select it in the layers panel. To focus the document only on the mask layer (or any layer for that matter) you can hold the alt key when selecting the layer, see below for a quick GIF showing this and a tutorial video showing a few more uses!
0cda94a7055a73bbad8a250e5f28bfd5.gif 

I would like to be able to edit / revise a mask after creating it, using curves or levels .. ideally as an adjustment layer specifically for the mask, but I'd settle for simple adustment of the mask, as in Photoshop. I routinely use the image itself as a mask, for example to protect highlights, and it's essential to be able to adjust the tonality of the mask while editing.