You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

• Staff

@symson

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

These are great, perhaps you would also like to post them, individually or all together again, into the Share your work forum (mentioning which applications you used to make them ). I am sure others will wish to see them and perhaps comment too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 7/18/2023 at 7:46 AM, Patrick Connor said:

@symson

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

These are great, perhaps you would also like to post them, individually or all together again, into the Share your work forum (mentioning which applications you used to make them ). I am sure others will wish to see them and perhaps comment too.

Thanks. I will.

Hi

I'm an old Serif customer who once used Adobe's suite at work, but I'm not actually a graphic designer by profession. I'm just a lifelong creative who can photograph, draw, layout and, in my younger years, took as many side jobs at work with graphic design assignments as I could to spice up my working life. However, my career left that kind of tasks far behind me, so it only happens in my spare time now. I let my hobby work dictate the budget, so I've used Serif's old DrawPlus and PagePlus in the past, and now Designer, Photo and Publisher. I also use other applications for photography and design, Photoshop mostly for photography, but these days it's mostly Designer and Publisher.

I have reached a professional level in some of what I do, although there is so much to learn, always, but I have plenty of validation in what I have achieved in my career and skills, so I don't really feed a need to sell or do exhibitions. I have sold my work once, but I simply don't have time for that too. The big and important thing for me is to be creative and create, to feel life and see the beauty of life, and despite its early shortcomings, Designer has been a pleasure to work in. And now I can see that there is movement in the development. Lovely.

I have never used the forum as a registered, writing user, but have read a bit over the years. Now, however, I may have to report a few bugs and feature requests during my holiday. Unfortunately, I'll probably disappear into work and travel after my holiday, but that's as it should be.

Edited by Bitarts

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

Hi, I'm jonfromyon, a translator of classical Chinese. I'm translating Kumarajiva's Chinese translation (403 C.E.) of the Large Sutra on Perfect Wisdom. I finished the first draft of volume one of a projected four volumes. I  plan to use Affinity Publisher to layout and typeset this series. I'm a raw beginner with AP, >80 years old, btw, although I have some experience with book layout and typesetting. Most of my time now is spent translating, but near the end of this year, I plan to start experimenting with AP to design and layout the book. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. Thanks. jon

Hello, I'm Görkem, professional packaging designer in a company. using Corel in my job but at home as a freelancer I use Affinity. I have lots of expectations from Affinity because it is the cleanest program I've tried so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Christopher Wells, I have started exploring my creative side towards the end of 2022 and so bought the Affinity Suite to assist me in my creative journey. I started an I.T. support business and web design business in 2019. I have always been great at exploring new products coming from a 17+ year I.T. infrastructure background. I have seen the growth of the Adobe suite for quite a number of years but have never owned their software personally. Affinity Suite v2 is my starting point. I do enjoy photography, so far I have been exploring using Affinity Publisher to see if I can create wireframes, web design layouts and birthday cards for my family.

Before the Affinity Suite, I did start using Gimp and InkScape. Both are also very lovely products but am pleased to be using the Affinity Suite a lot more over the past, almost a year now.

I hope others will join me on this journey of creativity. Best of luck in your exploration.

3 hours ago, Wellswebtech said:

so far I have been exploring using Affinity Publisher to see if I can create wireframes, web design layouts and birthday cards for my family.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

For wireframes, Affinity Designer is more suitable. For web page layout I would rather use Designer or Photo. For greeting and birthday cards, all three programs are suitable, although Affinity Publisher is rather underpowered here.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 2 months later...

OOf, long day and too many new software releases....lets try this again!

Hi!  I'm AD!  aka The Explorographer.  Photographer/creative from the Finger Lakes region (FLX) of NY.  (Near Rochester).  New to the forums, but I have been an Affinity Photo user for quite a while.  Just found this place through the beta program so I thought I would say, "Hi!".   Always looking for new photog/crative friends in the area so if you are around me, please say hi!  Let's share ideas, techniques, locations, whatever!   Glad to be here!

Here are a few pieces of my work.

_DSC0173_hdr.jpg

f714672704.jpg

f535613328.jpg

f574430560.jpg

f515233616.jpg

Edited by AD Wheeler

Love your work AD.

Last time I was in the Finger Lakes was in 1974!

I'm from the UK but back then my late sister was working in Rochester. I came over to see her plus go to the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, which was held in October so the the trees were turning at the start of Fall. Plus we did a few days of touring afterwards

For a photographer the area must be amazing. I'd love to go back :)

1 hour ago, Alansart said:

Love your work AD.

Last time I was in the Finger Lakes was in 1974!

I'm from the UK but back then my late sister was working in Rochester. I came over to see her plus go to the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, which was held in October so the the trees were turning at the start of Fall. Plus we did a few days of touring afterwards

For a photographer the area must be amazing. I'd love to go back :)

Thank you and if you get over this way, make sure to look me up and I would be happy to show you around some of my favorite spots.  Do you like waterfalls? ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! 

This is Enea. I bought the Affinity license around the end of the summer, and since then, I have been learning Affinity Photo and Designer.

Prior to that, I have experience with open-source graphic programs for a years, primarily GIMP, and to some extend also Inkscape and Krita.

I am looking forward to learning more, and contributing to the community.

Cheers!

Author of the Youtube channel Enea Creative Design.

I'm Matt Sephton an indie game developer and former Technology Evangelist at Apple.

I am trying to use Affinity Designer for pixel work but have top say I am close to giving up. I've been here since the beginning of Affinity.

Before that I used Xara Studio (where some of the Affinity developers once worked, IIRC) and before that FreeHand, Fireworks, Canvas, artWORKS, UltraPaint, SuperPaint, Deluxe Paint, PageStream, etc. The fact that all of those old apps are better at pixel work than Affinity is a crying shame. Figma and Penpot are where I will probably end up.

33 minutes ago, matt said:

I am trying to use Affinity Designer for pixel work but have top say I am close to giving up

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

Would you mind creating a new thread in questions section elaborating a bit about your work style, challenges, and most important why using Designer instead of Photo for pixel work? 
I know all Affinity apps are almost painful for pixel work, but you can do everything in Photo when accepting the Affinity UI and learning the unique work styles.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:11 PM, NotMyFault said:

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

Would you mind creating a new thread in questions section elaborating a bit about your work style, challenges, and most important why using Designer instead of Photo for pixel work? 
I know all Affinity apps are almost painful for pixel work, but you can do everything in Photo when accepting the Affinity UI and learning the unique work styles.

Feel free to check my existing threads going back years.

The issues exist across all Affinity apps (they're all basically the same app with different defaults/presets/toolbars, I wrote a thread about that too).

I should clarify that I'm doing pixel accurate layouts using vectors. Figma does this stuff with its eyes closed.

Hi I am Karsten and I am an architect from Germany. I have worked with Affinity since 2 years and love the experience. Today I upgraded to V2 as my only Black Friday treat.

Thank you guys for this fair product - and thank you for not forcing people to upgrade. That said I encourage everyone for upgrade as a matter of supporting this fabulous company. Ohhh and as an architect I need to say: DWG import is a huge improvement for us and I am looking forward to using it.

Is it better to keep the old version of Affinty on the machine as V2 is an upgrade or better uninstall it ?

Best wishes - your truly K

8 minutes ago, Netsrek said:

Is it better to keep the old version of Affinty on the machine as V2 is an upgrade or better uninstall it ?

If you have the space on your hard drive just keep it (them). Occasionally you may get a file from someone who has only the version 1 applications and you'll be able to add/subtract/edit the version 1 file and send it back. If you only have version 2 then you can open and edit the file but your compatriot will not be able to open your version 2 file.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

If you have the space on your hard drive just keep it (them). Occasionally you may get a file from someone who has only the version 1 applications and you'll be able to add/subtract/edit the version 1 file and send it back. If you only have version 2 then you can open and edit the file but your compatriot will not be able to open your version 2 file.

Thank you Old Bruce, I ll take your advise.

• Staff
54 minutes ago, roman116 said:

Anyone have any idea when the offer is valid until?

Until the 5th December for Serif's Black Friday sale

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon