You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, My name is brian but use bakdoc as my username Brian is such a common user name and I always have to change it because others have used it! so I use bakdoc, short for back doctor which  people used to call me after founded our local backpain  group. I used use Serif Pageplus to write  our newsletters, but since its demise I have looked for alternative software.

i am new to IOS , now retired I have time to learn both how to use the IOS and become efficient with the affinity suite.

pleased to meet you all

1 hour ago, isbuck said:

Hi everyone. Just started using Affinity and am switching over to it. I've just cancelled my CS subscription. I am very much a novice and I might sometimes need some help!

isbuck, I'm new to it myself after working with Adobe for over 25 years. It's good software considering the cost and you can achieve many things that are very similar but I'm finding it works in different ways. It's all trial and error but as I'm now retired I have the time to do that. I'm progressing slowly 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm Kamil and I'm Polish. I'm a calligrapher, painter, art teacher, publisher, photographer and ex-digital artist (ex, since I'm too old for crunching in video games companies). I've been using Photoshop since 1998 and I just switched to Affinity, since, no surprise there, I hate subscription models.

https://www.facebook.com/kamil.bachminski
https://www.instagram.com/kamil.bachminski/

Hello, I'm Leonardo Amora Leite and I speak from Brazil, I've been working with digital art for over 20 years. I'm a Photoshop user I think since the first version haha, I've worked with programs before PS too OMG. I've done everything in the area of digital art, and I think this was one of my mistakes. If you want to be good at something, insist on what you believe in or die trying. Well, I have a degree in graphic design, but I've worked with 3D modeling and animation, video editing, I've even edited films, web design and finally my biggest challenge, transforming a creative mind into logic, from there I learned programming and logic ( LUA and C#). I've created a bunch of games for consoles and mobile, all in search of a comfort zone that I never found. I've already worked for Ubisoft as a game designer and concept artist, I've won some awards creating and developing games... In the meantime I've been illustrating, and that's always been what I wanted from the beginning, but I never found a stable market in this area . Today I'm returning to illustration, and you know, sometimes I miss programming, who knows... I, with my own games, never made money, in fact I just lost my developer contract with Apple, the one you pay $100 for. So all my games were removed from the store. Well, that's it. Hey! I wanted to invite you to see my website, it is still up! I hope for longer! Check the link: www.amoraleite.com

See you guys!

PS: Come on Serif team I'm believing in you! There are many more things to do in these Apps, don't fall for the fad, there are basic things that need to work! May the force be with you!

Hey, I'm Gregor Zobjak, born in 2004, located in Leipzig, Germany and I'm using Affinity for a half year. I plan to make a little Design business with the help of the Affinity Suite

I still learn how to get some things done (I'm new in terms of Design) but I must say that I love the Affinity Suite! I don't wanna use any other software anymore! 

The best thing is the pricing I love the principle of Paying only for every big version like v2, so that I own the Software instead of renting them like any Adobe Product.

Platform: MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2017, Silver (Macbook Pro 14,3)

CPU: 2,9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

GPU: Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

Integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

RAM: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Mobile Devices: iPad 8th Gen, 32 GB, Space Gray + Apple Pencil 1st Gen

Gary Priester - I have been a Xara user since 1996 and I created content for Xara's XaraXone for 15 years.

My career was in advertising in the 70s working in Los Angeles and San Francisco for Young & Rubicam and a host of other agencies. I had a graphic design company, The Black Point Group in San Francisco for 12 years. I retired in 2000.

I am primarily interested in book design and have created over a dozen paperback books most of these for my wife and some for other author friends, and two books of my own short stories. All in Xara, and all with much kicking and screaming. This is why I am giving Publisher 2 a go. My first book of short stories, again produced in Xara, was The Chimes of Westminster, cover posted here.

I am looking forward to leaning more about Publisher.

Primarily I create 3D hidden image stereograms and am a  partner in eyeTricks 3D Stereograms We have a Facebook page where my partner and I post a new stereogram every day.

Basically, I'm a 81 year old dog who is ready to learn some new tricks. 🙂

Chimes.jpg

34 minutes ago, gwpriester said:

Gary Priester - I have been a Xara user since 1996 and I created content for Xara's XaraXone for 15 years.

Welcome, Gary! You probably know Affinity Designer’s lead developer @MattP (Matt Priestley) from his time at Xara a couple of decades ago.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, gwpriester said:

Basically, I'm a 81 year old dog who is ready to learn some new tricks. 🙂

Hi Gary,

you're not old until your doctor refers you to a paleontologist. 🤣

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

13 minutes ago, gwpriester said:

I have a Publisher book project question and am not sure where to post it. Can you point me in the right direction?

All ‘Affinity on Desktop’ questions go here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-macos-and-windows/

Press the blue ‘Start new topic’ button, or use the link that I’ve incorporated into this sentence.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

A few words about me. I'm a curious creative who has tried a lot in life, and now I'm here for a while, looking at the possibilities.

In recent years, I have mostly worked in large companies and have taken every opportunity to become smarter and more experienced, which is why I have worked with advertising, CVI (corporate visual identity), logos and much more, but also privately worked on more artistic projects to keep things from getting too serious. And I never get tired of it. I have worked in Adobe for years and Corel Painter since it was Fractal Design Painter, but also many other programs.

For years I've been on user panels and convened numerous user tests for large and medium-sized companies that make software for various graphic applications, and in recent months I've been trying out Affinity (I remember PagePlus and DrawPlus too) along with other newer programs to compare them. I'm often asked for advice on software and I'm curious by nature, so I see what the market has. It's perfectly normal for me to use different software for what I'm strongest at, but I prefer to use only one program per project. There's no point in changing horses to create different effects.

My daughter has made me proud, she is educated and employed in usability, which I also have strong opinions about, my son has just become a lawyer to the equal surprise of my wife and I - and him. But I've caught him being creative. 🙂

Best,

Barry N

@Barry Newman  Welcome to the Forums!  My son also became a lawyer several years ago. At the time, a medical doctor friend of ours said "In a few years you will never recognise him!" In some ways that is true, but in others not. He still asks "What is the real reason?" just the way he did when he was 4 years old, when we told him to please do something or other, or else.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 6/10/2014 at 9:05 AM, MattP said:

Hi, I'm Matt Priestley and I'm one of the Affinity developers. I'll try to help out on any topic, but particularly anything relating to tools, views and document drawing as they're the bits I'm mostly responsible for writing.

Feel free to join me and introduce yourself, too! :)

Hi, I am George, I use all the affinity programs mostly for fun