Jump to content

Affinity products for Linux


Guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well, let's stop making allegations. For instance, I don't buy the argument that claims Affinty would put at risk its current customers while making Linux versions while ignoring the Windows/Apple/Android implementations. I'd give more credit to Affinity. If you don't trust they are serious about tit, why buying their products? Let's stick with our OS of choice. As Linux users we didn't come here saying "Stop making Windows (or whatever OS) apps!". I think nobody would risk his living for an OS. We can use Linux reliably and this won't change until we decide to. It's also obvious that we are proficient with Linux, so there is no need to explain us it's not (well... there were rather statements than proofs, but as long as we use Linux, we know the issues and how to circumvent them).

Sorry if I've upset somebody.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

question: why nVidia open-sourced its drivers? Try imagine the implications of this.

My guess would be because they want Linux users to buy nVidia hardware instead of their competitors’ hardware. The implications, I’d imagine, are that hardware vendors have completely different marketing priorities than software vendors.

As in, open-source your drivers, sell more hardware. Open-source your software, make potentially no living.

Perhaps had Linus not fallen for Richard Stallman’s ideology and changed the name from Linux to GNU/Linux, commercial software vendors would not have to worry about accepting the current or any future version of the license, while having no say on what that future version might demand of them, they might be much more accepting of Linux.

Just my analysis as a psychologist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AdamStanislav said:

Perhaps had Linus not fallen for Richard Stallman’s ideology and changed the name from Linux to GNU/Linux, commercial software vendors would not have to worry about accepting the current or any future version of the license, while having no say on what that future version might demand of them, they might be much more accepting of Linux.

Commercial software on Linux doesn't risk running afoul of the GPL. So long as no one take any open sourced code licensed under such to use in their software, the two can pretty much exist side by side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

Commercial software on Linux doesn't risk running afoul of the GPL.

I did not say it did. Or that it did not. I simply pointed out why a commercial software publisher may be worried about what might happen in the future. Since GNU licensing has never been decided by courts (at least not as far as I am aware), such a publisher, especially a relatively small one, might even worry about the remotest possibility of simply being sued, which can be a very costly headache.

When the entire system’s name is preceded by GNU/ (as in GNU/Linux) where the entire GNU ideology was created by a person who expressed the opinion that all software should be free, a small business might worry about getting involved.

Particularly so, when you read rumors (and psychologically it does not matter whether they are true) of someone demanding that the original creator of some software (I do not remember the details, that is why I am treating it as a rumor) release any changes to his own code after he released it originally under the GNU license. That despite the theory that the original creator can release his software under several licenses because he is not the licensee but the licensor.

So reasons why a business may decide to or not to support GNU/Linux (or any other system) may not necessarily have anything to do with how good or bad, or how easy or hard to use the OS is, or with the strict legal state of its licensing model, or with how easy or difficult it is to port the software to the OS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

My guess would be because they want Linux users to buy nVidia hardware instead of their competitors’ hardware. The implications, I’d imagine, are that hardware vendors have completely different marketing priorities than software vendors.

As in, open-source your drivers, sell more hardware. Open-source your software, make potentially no living.

Perhaps had Linus not fallen for Richard Stallman’s ideology and changed the name from Linux to GNU/Linux, commercial software vendors would not have to worry about accepting the current or any future version of the license, while having no say on what that future version might demand of them, they might be much more accepting of Linux.

On one hand, nVidia has a large market, although it dropped during COVID times. Would this "tiny" Linux community be a changer?

As user, I don't own ATI video cards, nor use Intel's (I have two CPU's with them, but they look "washed"). I've never had issues to use the proprietary drivers as I have no ideology regarding that. Discussing with users over time, regardless the OS, they've preferred Ryzen + nVidia card for performance.

Valve does a very good job, but still, I've met big expensive games that have issues on nVidia cards. Perhaps the goal is to cover that market too.

Now, energy costs may force people to move to GPU integrated in CPU solutions. Open sourced drivers can't change that.

nVidia had to create LHR cards so gamer can have access to them, so I am not concerned about the sells.

6 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

Just my analysis as a psychologist.

Well, some software creators need you services. Or you can help us understand them too, especially when they meter us heavily even when we pay a lot for their licenses, willing to know what we eat or dream outside their products domains. And doing that all the time by consuming our resources, on our power, our money. I'm just curious. Why some software company treat us like children and push features that are impossible to disable/drop or come back again and again if we remove them, things that may embarrass us in front of our customers, like starting Xbox streaming during business meetings out of the blue? Would you do that for us, please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

Well, let's stop making allegations. For instance, I don't buy the argument that claims Affinty would put at risk its current customers while making Linux versions while ignoring the Windows/Apple/Android implementations. I'd give more credit to Affinity. If you don't trust they are serious about tit, why buying their products? Let's stick with our OS of choice. As Linux users we didn't come here saying "Stop making Windows (or whatever OS) apps!". I think nobody would risk his living for an OS. We can use Linux reliably and this won't change until we decide to. It's also obvious that we are proficient with Linux, so there is no need to explain us it's not (well... there were rather statements than proofs, but as long as we use Linux, we know the issues and how to circumvent them).

Sorry if I've upset somebody.

 

 

My own view has always been "Use the operating system that works best for you" whether that is Windows, macOS, Linux or BSD and there will always be idiosyncrasies, faults and mismanagements with all four of those operating systems at one time or another.

In my case, I chose Linux because I wanted a stable and secure operating system but I knew that came with a reduced set of software (the same applies to BSD) compared with Windows and macOS. That said, I have been able to find alternatives for everything I used under Windows. For example, I now use a combination of Softmaker Office and the free online version of Microsoft Office and no one can tell that I am not using 100% Microsoft products.

Some broad alternatives to Adobe Illustrator/Affinity Designer are listed below:

Inkscape

https://inkscape.org/

Gravit Designer

https://www.designer.io/en/

Vectr

https://vectr.com/

Figma

https://www.figma.com/

https://github.com/Figma-Linux/figma-linux

Canva

https://www.canva.com

My design needs are modest so I can get away with using Canva but if I needed more than that, I would use Gravit:

gravit.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

I did not say it did. Or that it did not. I simply pointed out why a commercial software publisher may be worried about what might happen in the future. Since GNU licensing has never been decided by courts (at least not as far as I am aware), such a publisher, especially a relatively small one, might even worry about the remotest possibility of simply being sued, which can be a very costly headache.

It's possible that the unexplored potentialities of the GPL might scare away a few developers, though generally speaking, it's not much of a concern. Proprietary software isn't exactly rare on Linux, open sourced software and APIs are common on proprietary platforms, and lawsuits are pretty few and far between.

If we go by history, the only time the Software Freedom Conservancy goes after someone is when they directly alter GPLed code for their own use, and release it commercially without offering up said altered code for free download on request.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys... you know what...

I just realized that the Affinity Suite doesn't have Non-Destructive Envelope Warp.... ENVELOPE WARP!!!! BASIC!!!!!! They've been asking for it since 2015, and they said it was on the road map, but they haven't implemented it... And many people have been asking and waiting for it.

This makes me realise... if they haven't even included this very basic essential feature... TO HELL with a "Linux" version.

I threw in the towel... I just had to install Affinity on a Windows.... It was a sad day... but in some ways... inevitable...

If they so happen to release a Linux Version... I'll be there... but I'm not holding my breathe for it anymore.... :57_cry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Framelynx said:

Guys... you know what...

I just realized that the Affinity Suite doesn't have Non-Destructive Envelope Warp.... ENVELOPE WARP!!!! BASIC!!!!!! They've been asking for it since 2015, and they said it was on the road map, but they haven't implemented it... And many people have been asking and waiting for it.

This makes me realise... if they haven't even included this very basic essential feature... TO HELL with a "Linux" version.

I threw in the towel... I just had to install Affinity on a Windows.... It was a sad day... but in some ways... inevitable...

If they so happen to release a Linux Version... I'll be there... but I'm not holding my breathe for it anymore.... :57_cry:

I agree that it would be nice to have a Linux version of the Affinity softwares, or at least versions that ran well with Wine.

That said, on Linux an equivalent professional range of products is still possible with, for example, Gravit, PhotoLine + Wine and VivaDesigner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, after a lot of fiddling around, i -almost- got affinity photo 1.10 running. I'm on Linux Mint 20, used Lutris and the Affinity Designer 1.7.3 install script, but choosed the affinity photo setup file. It installs without any problems.

After starting the program, the window is black, except the elements the mouse cursor focuses. I added some screenshots to show the problem. So theoretically the program itself could work, it just has a rendering issue.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @toxiccrack

No real Windows, no support! As Affinity programmes are developed natively for Windows, MAC and iPad, there is no support for emulated environments.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Sapphire RX 5600 XT 6 GB | Windows 11 Pro (22H2 Build 22621.436)
Affinity Suite V1.10.5.1342
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
SVG preview in Windows Explorer with "SVG-See  Download SVG-See

Those who want to achieve something are looking for solutions,
the others always see only the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Komatös said:

Hi @toxiccrack

No real Windows, no support! As Affinity programmes are developed natively for Windows, MAC and iPad, there is no support for emulated environments.

It is a complete contrast with the developers at PhotoLine who make the effort to ensure that their software works well with Wine so that Linux users are not left out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe we should get Affinity for Linux crowdfunded at this point, so Serif can hire the extra peeps they'd need to port it / make it compatible with WINE or Proton.

I mean, if we're serious about wanting it to happen, we could help invest in it, yeah?   //wishful thinking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kamanderside said:

Maybe we should get Affinity for Linux crowdfunded at this point, so Serif can hire the extra peeps they'd need to port it / make it compatible with WINE or Proton.

I mean, if we're serious about wanting it to happen, we could help invest in it, yeah?   //wishful thinking

Serif have said they are not interested in Linux at this time, and also that they are not interested in Crowd Funding.

-- Walt

   Desktop: new:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090  (old: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970 )
   Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1282 Beta
 iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 15.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

  Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 1.10.2 (.266) Beta / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 1.10.3 (.19) Beta 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kamanderside said:

Maybe we should get Affinity for Linux crowdfunded at this point, so Serif can hire the extra peeps they'd need to port it / make it compatible with WINE or Proton.

I mean, if we're serious about wanting it to happen, we could help invest in it, yeah?   //wishful thinking

It is already technically possible to get Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher working well on Linux...but only by using virtual machine technology like VirtualBox, VMWare, etc. but that's best done with 16GB RAM upwards. Personally, I think that is a better solution than dual booting and other views are available.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Snapseed said:

It is already technically possible to get Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher working well on Linux...but only by using virtual machine technology like VirtualBox, VMWare, etc. but that's best done with 16GB RAM upwards. Personally, I think that is a better solution than dual booting and other views are available.

 

I have brought that up in the past. I run Windows as a VM on my intel iMac as well as M1 Max MacBook Pro, they run great. I was under the impression that VM's in Linux were not as efficient and did not run as well as they do on the Mac side of things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Running in an application in a Windows VM it's not running under Linux, regardless where that VM is hosted.

I don't care if an application runs under Linux natively or through Wine. Any option is fine.

If crowdfunding is an option, that makes sense to try support Wine development as long as it is not accepted by the software maker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

I have brought that up in the past. I run Windows as a VM on my intel iMac as well as M1 Max MacBook Pro, they run great. I was under the impression that VM's in Linux were not as efficient and did not run as well as they do on the Mac side of things. 

I don't need to use any VMs because I found Linux softwares that work well for me but it apparently runs fine:

https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-10-virtualbox-linux/

1 hour ago, msdobrescu said:

Running in an application in a Windows VM it's not running under Linux, regardless where that VM is hosted.

I don't care if an application runs under Linux natively or through Wine. Any option is fine.

If crowdfunding is an option, that makes sense to try support Wine development as long as it is not accepted by the software maker.

It is probably better to raise such matters directly with Wine and Codeweavers staff directly and see what they say because Serif Europe has so far not given any signal that they are remotely interested in such a course of action (I am willing to be corrected on this matter).

https://www.codeweavers.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

I don't need to use any VMs because I found Linux softwares that work well for me but it apparently runs fine:

https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-10-virtualbox-linux/

It is probably better to raise such matters directly with Wine and Codeweavers staff directly and see what they say because Serif Europe has so far not given any signal that they are remotely interested in such a course of action (I am willing to be corrected on this matter).

https://www.codeweavers.com

On other hand, support codewaevers can increase plugin for figma that is use in web development for develope sites and web apps UI on corporate Linux Front-end and web developers machines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.