You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AutoTrace (convert raster image to vector)

No biggie. I can do my vector traces in Photoline, Inkscape, and (the newly open sourced) OpenToonz. OpenToonz actually does a very good job: although it might seem a bit overkill to use Studio Ghibli's animation production tool to trace artwork :-P

What is quite unique about OpenToonz is that it can output the single paths as well as the full outlined trace. This allows me to change the drawing intent of the paths easily in illustration software, which is pretty neat.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for me as well, but guys i don't want infinity designer team to be limited by what the market already offers.

please be as creative as you want, bring what non has done.

create a tracing tool that when we look at it we should say "this is how tracing should have been" and please let us now approximately when you guys are coming up with such an option because it's a critical functionality for many of us i think.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for me as well, but guys i don't want infinity designer team to be limited by what the market already offers.

please be as creative as you want, bring what non has done.

create a tracing tool that when we look at it we should say "this is how tracing should have been" and please let us now approximately when you guys are coming up with such an option because it's a critical functionality for many of us i think.

+1

Short answer is no, the functionality wouldn't be satisfactory.

Auto trace needs to be much better than what Drawplus offers. There is no way to reduce the number of nodes (thousands!!!) detected. Affinity developers need to check how Illustrator does this (amazing results in converting raster to vector, especially the "Simple" & "Ignore White" options)! If Affinity Designer could do this, they could really move new and existing Adobe customers to this platform!

Will there be a fill tool that works like the one in DrawPlus? The Fill tool works like a localized tracer. One of the most useful tools in the program.

I use Imagaro Z pro for most of my higher end tracing, a hot link to that would be good. They have it for Illustrator and Corel Draw now but be good to have Affinity included.

Hi Dear Serif Team,

are there any news on this feature as the last comment on it was 2014?

Will you be focusing on other things first like the windows portation?

For me personally it is a key feature by which a vector design program is judged.

Thanks for your answers in advance! :)

What you still rarely can find online when searching for windows raster2vector tools is a program from Microsoft itself.

It can even trace colored images and is free. Some already know the program, Microsoft Expression Design, but if you search comparisons or Wikis you never see it in the list.

They give it for free now as they abandoned the product so there will be no support and no future versions.

But until Affinity Designer v2.X I thought it might fill a gap for some of you.

microsoft_expression_design_fr.png

Microsoft Expression Design 4 (Free Version)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36180

Tutorial

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/xdesignsupport/2008/04/22/working-with-hand-drawn-art-in-expression-design/

Short Overview

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc294517.aspx

post-33131-0-56303000-1470383592_thumb.png

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I currently use Inkscape for my Bitmap Tracing needs (and perspective distort), like a number of other users here. It's a bit of a clunky interface, with mysterious and enigmatic options, but once you get used to it, it works really well! It's very easy to then copy and paste directly into Affinity.

I regularly have to recreate client logos from years-old low resolution jpegs and a trace function eases the burden somewhat!

I think a Simplify tool is definitely required in conjunction with Bitmap Tracing.