You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Logo Please!

Hmmm interesting thread. I been wrapped up in the application itself  I didn't think to deeply about the Logo. I love to hear the Affinity  Design teams thoughts on how they came to the logo design they have. It is obvious the triangular affinity  symbol is the base of all the designs.

I always find it interesting how the passion of community can be passionate about the branding of  the tool they use. You guys are onto something magical with this application.

Anyway here my rough spin of the logo design.

affinity-Logo-Design-Exculsion.jpg

• Staff

I'd put the logo on the "later list" and keep pumping out updates and tweaks. 

Good call.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Good icons Ronnie although i would prefere more vivid colours :) not so "turned off"

Thank you Raskolnikov  :) I like them more vivid too. good suggestion. the recolor tool makes that an easy change.

Anyway, for all those screaming updates and tweaks I don't think we have anything to worry about in that area. This company seems very clear about their mission. I don't think this topic is going to take away any resources from this already fabulous tool.  ;)

This thread nothing more than few opinion and suggestions.  For some of us users (like myself) it just another sand pit to play in while learning this tools in and outs.

affinity-Logo-Design-saturated-color.jpg

I actually like all three detailed logos. They show how detailed and fine-tuned the applications are and also reminds me of the good old days when you could read "This is for the crazy ones" inside the Pages (or was is Keynote) logo when zooming in.

In regard of the inconsistent naming, I think you have a good point with "Photo" not really fitting in with "Designer" and "Publisher". "Photographer" would be perfect but, as said, might be misleading. "Editor" is to generic and "Imager" is kinda … weird.

@Dale: Even though "Aff" is indeed part of the word "Affe" which means "monkey" in german, that shouldn't be a problem at all, the three letters are pronounced differently and the chance someone might connect a monkey to a computer in their head is relatively slim.

A bigger issue is the term "persona" since "PERSONA" is a well-known contraceptive in Germany … I have been grinding my brain for weeks now on how this one might get translated without ending up weird.

@Dale: Even though "Aff" is indeed part of the word "Affe" which means "monkey" in german, that shouldn't be a problem at all, the three letters are pronounced differently and the chance someone might connect a monkey to a computer in their head is relatively slim.

A bigger issue is the term "persona" since "PERSONA" is a well-known contraceptive in Germany … I have been grinding my brain for weeks now on how this one might get translated without ending up weird.

That's fantastic. Thanks Jens for making me laugh. :)

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Hi Ronnie,

why a pen for publisher? I think is too relate to designer.. Publisher is more about magazines, books or so I think.

(sample images not too big?  :D )

Hi Flaz,

You offer a great point. I guess my thinking was that publisher is at the last stage of the process where writers and editors will spend more of their time producing the collective pieces of photography and illustrations. perhaps a simple document is the best solution. but I didn't not want to go with that because I did not want the idea of just magazines,journals and single written documents  being the only things be produced in publisher. I guess really the key factor of publisher is that it the main tool for creating multipage documents or spreads. Yah I guess something are what they are maybe I over thought it.

as for size I never heard that complaint before ... :o  :P  ;)  All joking aside I was to lazy to scale it down and the same export linked somewhere else  wear I liked it to be bigger.

This is a challenge! I'll give it a go!   :ph34r:

As mentioned by Vectorcat: Photoshop/Illustrator naming is a market winner: whereas ID=no idea. So can the Affinity team change its spots? If we come up with a stonker of a name for each app or the whole suite; then it's time to rename the 'litter'.

The holy trinity of brand names are thus:

• it must be a noun
  • it must be a verb
  • it must be an adjective

One out of three is good, two out of three is great...

Here's my ideas:

• Affinity Photo = Affinity Developer
  • Affinity Designer = Affinity Poster or Graphiq 
  • Affinity Publisher = Affinity Press(pack) or Quill or Illuminator (I know...!)

What do you think?

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Good discussion, Znak...

and here are more things to throw into the mix... QuarkXPress...what on earth does that have to do with page layout, other than "Press", and when you say it, you don't think "Press" you think "Express"

Microsoft?  Maybe at one time Micro (computer) Soft(ware) made a lot of sense, but now it seems sadly anachronistic.

Apple? Just because Steve Jobs worked on an apple farm and loved apples? What's the relationship to computers and personal electronics?

We could go on.  Affinity is a positive-sounding word, so I feel there's nothing wrong with it at all, and many things right with it.

By the time a name becomes associated with a thing, all of this academic discussion evaporates in significance, yes?

Thank you for batting about these ideas!

The apple is famously linked to Alan Turing (Part of the team who cracked the Nazi Enigma computer), Snow White/Wicked Witch and his tormented suicide/oppressed sexuality.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

This is a challenge! I'll give it a go!   :ph34r:

As mentioned by Vectorcat: Photoshop/Illustrator naming is a market winner: whereas ID=no idea. So can the Affinity team change its spots? If we come up with a stonker of a name for each app or the whole suite; then it's time to rename the 'litter'.

The holy trinity of brand names are thus:

• it must be a noun
  • it must be a verb
  • it must be an adjective

One out of three is good, two out of three is great...

Here's my ideas:

• Affinity Photo = Affinity Developer
  • Affinity Designer = Affinity Poster or Graphiq 
  • Affinity Publisher = Affinity Press or Quill or Illuminator (I know...!)

What do you think?

a noun, verb or adjective? In other words, the name has to be a word, right?  "Developer" sounds like what programmers do. Graphiq is not too shabby...it sounds sophisticated and European to my American ear. It speaks generally enough, and specifically enough at the same time..not an easy balance to achieve.

The current use of "Designer" for what seems to be an illustration program is confusing to me. What is the primary purpose of the software?  I could design with Open Office.. but, what is the primary purpose of OO?

It might be time to explore words that don't have anything to do with preconceived notions, and therefore, don't come with any baggage.

Kodak is  one such word...it doesn't actually mean anything in itself, though after 80 years of people snappin' pictures, "Kodak" came to mean "Photography."

This stuff doesn't happen over night, despite what "branding" proponents would have us believe.

Hmmm interesting thread. I been wrapped up in the application itself  I didn't think to deeply about the Logo. I love to hear the Affinity  Design teams thoughts on how they came to the logo design they have. It is obvious the triangular affinity  symbol is the base of all the designs.

I always find it interesting how the passion of community can be passionate about the branding of  the tool they use. You guys are onto something magical with this application.

Anyway here my rough spin of the logo design.

affinity-Logo-Design-Exculsion.jpg

Great job!

Designer should have a pencil tip and loaded sharpener. Colour yellow - Staedtler's favourite. 

Photo should have a reel of 35 mm film and a polaroid or two. Colour lilac - Just like the wash trays/crystals.

Publisher should have a rolled up newspaper, magazines etc... or put the nib tip upwards within the triangle. Coloured red - UK tabloids.

Hope this helps enhance your icons.

Why not use printing blocks?

Funny you said that because I was thinking either printing block or the rollers spitting out a piece of paper from a printing press. I just have not had  a minute to get back to it today. Any other thoughts or ideas  I could play with?

-Ronnie 

Great minds think alike eh Ronnie? ;)

What about dropped caps in a paragraph? A logo based on William Gutenburg's head or his printer? You know the twist handle section. 

If the roller spews out the paper, then surely the text should mention the App's name. What say you?

peter

to my mind, there are only 3 heads which enjoy wide recognizability in the western world: Beethoven, Einstein and Waldo. Images of gutenberg show him rockin a fu manchu..which is pretty cool...his invention is undeniable.

what about the Chinese' contribution?

What is essential to putting ink on paper?

Err the Queen, as seen on ALL UK stamps. It is so iconic, all other countries MUST have their name on them. Waldo is called Wally here in blighty

Other heads...Mickey Mouse, Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, Darth Vader, Buddha (most statued person in the world). Napoleon Bonaparte: then there's Hitler, Churchill and a few other famous politicians like Lenin, Thatcher etc. Not to mention L.DaVinci, Darwin, Robin Hood.

I like the Chinese idea: a lot! Any Pekinese/Cantonese words spring to mind?

You asked What is essential to putting ink on paper? Making the right decisions

• accuracy
  • pressure
  • paper/stock/velum or any other substrate, size, coating, weight and texture
  • drying time
  • consistency
  • choice of pigment - dye, special or wax based inks
  • choice of methods and machinery - offset, litho, screen, roller, inkjet, hot metal
  • Customer needs - durability, security, brand identity (regarding fonts and colours etc) and other usage requirements
  • TRAINING and KNOWLEDGE

Hope that answered a few questions for you and got those ol' grey cells working :P

peter

I've done these to match the other icons I've on my Yosemite's dock  :P

Those icons are pretty nice.

I was thinking that one thing I'll really miss about Adobe's products is that, like Apple, they seem to put a lot of emphasis on user experience, not just features/capabilities. While I think Affinity Designer has some really promising looking features, I think a more consistent experience and modern/flatter brand would go a long way. Though i'm pretty sure it is obviously not the most pressing of issues for the Affinity team. I think Adobe has had years of fine-tuning under their belts, and they obviously have a large claim on the market, so they can afford to do more in these areas.

One thing I've noticed so far by watching videos and looking at screenshots of Affinity Designer is that a simpler, more refined UI might complement the amount of features better (it seems that the top workspace panel when in a certain mode seems kind of bloated).

I think Affinity's community base is seemingly small in comparison with Adobe, so there's less gridlock maybe. One of the benefits of this circumstance is that it may allow a more organic growth, and I think where branding and user interface/experience is concerned, there might hopefully be some community interaction in how the Affinity brand/aesthetic develops.

I just cancelled my Illustrator CC subscription today, and i'm looking forward to getting on board with Affinity.

Naming in my opinion is good!

The tiny suggestion I'd like to express is about Affinity Photo...

Take it with a pinch of salt... You know... I'm not mother-tongue...

And I know how strong is the work behind the selection of a product name.

The term Photo recalls a photo-retouching oriented software. 

But this one will be not a mere photo tool but a fully featured raster art software.

So... Why not Affinity Picture?

:ph34r:

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers