You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two more issues with this feature, @Jon P:

1. Grouping a set of simple lines creates a bounding much larger than necessary
  2. Cycling to the new Selection Box setting (compact) and then Setting it does NOT work.

On 1/11/2024 at 5:16 AM, Jon P said:

Thanks @debraspicher. I'll log the fact the origin changes when setting the selection box on a rotated object

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

I'm not seeing the big bounding box any chance of a sample file (saved with history) ? If you havent rotated the object then I think we dont create a 'selection box' that is logged in a report though

50 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Grouping a set of simple lines creates a bounding much larger than necessary

Likewise, I'm not not seeing a much larger than necessary bounding box...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Here's a file displaying the same behavior. Above is the object ungrouped and below is the same object grouped and the bounding box extending beyond anything necessary. Attached is working file.

image.png.073821073c74379c605689ffa1e1ee44.png

Bounding box.afdesign

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, ronnyb said:

Here's a file displaying the same behavior. Above is the object ungrouped and below is the same object grouped and the bounding box extending beyond anything necessary. Attached is working file.

image.png.073821073c74379c605689ffa1e1ee44.png

Bounding box.afdesign 35.51 kB · 0 downloads

Amusingly enough, Regular Bounds has it correct. But like you say, it can't be set.

4 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Two more issues with this feature, @Jon P:

1. Grouping a set of simple lines creates a bounding much larger than necessary
  2. Cycling to the new Selection Box setting (compact) and then Setting it does NOT work.

The same bug exists for a long time and it's not about 2.4 beta. It was the same in all the 2 versions. You can open your file in 2.3 and that huge boundaries with be there for youuu.

😎

22 hours ago, ronnyb said:

For whatever reason, when Grouped, the group uses the Base box for the individual lines rather than the Regular bounds which is why you're seeing the oversized bounding box for the Group which suggests that when the 'graphic' was created it included rotated lines that initially formed part of a group (or similar)...

Can you clarify exactly how the 'graphic' was initially created...

Baseboxcomp.png.177b699871dd2010ebbddb96e72b32e0.png

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

For whatever reason, when Grouped, the group uses the Base box for the individual lines rather than the Regular bounds which is why you're seeing the oversized bounding box for the Group which suggests that when the 'graphic' was created it included rotated lines that initially formed part of a group (or similar)...

Can you clarify exactly how the 'graphic' was initially created...

Ahh that makes sense, as I initially created a vertical line and then rotated it into position, scaled, flipped etc to build the final M, so the grouping behavior makes sense. However, I don't see what you are seeing as far as your preview when ungrouped. All 5 lines are Curve objects (ungrouped) and I get this:

image.png.cb9a465ba088ef90981628f632d50649.png

If you expand all the lines you will be able to toggle the Regular bounds with the Base box for all lines rather than toggling the Regular bounds with the Line…

When all lines are then selected their collective Base box Bounding boxes exactly match the Base box of the Grouped lines which is what the screenshot in the previous post shows…

Why it works that way I’m not really sure…

It's not possible to apply 'Set Selection Box' after Cycling the Selection Box to Regular Bounds for objects rotated by 90°, 180° and 270°...

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

Regrettfully inserting an Artbord based on the selection does not recognise the newly set bounding box 😞

I'm probably missing something but in terms of the newly inserted Artboard, this initially appears to recognise the dimensions of the newly set bounding box for a selection but let me know what you're doing differently here...

See this example. The bounding box is set correcty with new dimensions but the Artboard still recognises the old dimensions.

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

On 1/10/2024 at 6:39 PM, aleale1 said:

On Windows, this shortcut is missing in menu bar

It is missing on macOS as well.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - more useful than the page explaining new updates - just spend a few minutes looking all over the app on my iPad to find where these options are located as it doesn’t explain this very well on the web page (for people like me who are not fully learned of the apps functions)

I’m also using the CMD+. To “cycle” and instead it just takes me back from regular bounds I’ve placed on an object which I placed at an angle from the menu back to the base box - rather than cycling back and forward it’s just taking me back to the base box and leaving me there - if you get what I mean?

51 minutes ago, MEB said:

You're probably doing it without moving the mouse. I've noticed it does fail to switch if there's no mouse movement. If you move the cursor a bit before switching does it work for you?

Hi @MEB,

There does appear to be a potential issue here in as much as it appears that if you double-click too slowly the tool switch doesn't happen, despite the double-click still being in the bounds of what I'd consider a double-click. This is also affected by the double-click speed set for the Pointer Preferences.

I can quite happily double-click to switch between the Move and Node tools without moving the mouse but if my double-click is too slow it fails completely regardless of whether I move the mouse before double-clicking or not...

It's quite difficult to show in a screen recording but any time you see what appears to be either a single mouse or no mouse clicks at all when the cursor appears stationary I'm actually double-clicking. The issue is perhaps most noticeable from 1 min 36 seconds to the end where the Node tool is selected and I'm moving it around and double-clicking but the screen recording isn't picking up any mouse clicks at all and the action isn't switching between the Node and Move tools...

• Staff

Hi @Hangman,
Thanks for taking a look. Yes, there's an issue here. I've noticed the problem yesterday night while I was testing another issue but haven't made a report yet. awakenedbyowls report brought it to my attention again. I didn't check what's going on with the iPad version, not sure it's the same issue. Will have to take a look at it as soon as I can.