You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unofficial PDF Manual - Expert Guide to Affinity Publisher

Thanks all for the positive feedback. I've updated the manual with corrections and improvements suggested by those in this thread as well as a lot of feedback from @walt.farrell.

I've also added 30 more pages on printing, exporting, colour settings, and more.

To keep it simple, the updated version is available from the first post in this thread.

Cheers,
Mike

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Very cool. Thank you. Downloading now.

Just reading your manual re; books. This is excellent. It digs into issues that would not be talked about in the company manual — such as why using the split feature in books is not a good idea; which I'm learning for myself right now.

Thanks again. :)

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

• Staff

@James PW

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thanks for your offer.

Many "first posts" worded like yours are deleted before they are ever seen because they are posted by bots trying to drum up business for online epub companies, but I can see you are a genuine Affinity user and therefore see this is a genuine offer and not spam.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

@James PW

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thanks for your offer.

Many "first posts" worded like yours are deleted before they are ever seen because they are posted by bots trying to drum up business for online epub companies, but I can see you are a genuine Affinity user and therefore see this is a genuine offer and not spam.

Thanks Patrick :) 

Yes, good point. Sorry for looking like spam. I can confirm I'm a genuine Affinity user. I exported a revised book (one whole typo fixed) from Publisher just this morning for upload to IngramSpark to take advantage of the current free revisions offer. I'm a big fan.

James

6 hours ago, James PW said:

Would you be interested in publishing it as an ebook and in print?
I've started a micro nonfiction publishing house, and I'm looking for projects.

Thank you for the kind offer but not at this time.

Thanks,

Mike

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RaoulLB said:

Thank you so much for posting this document. I am quite overwhelmed when using Publisher and this is precisely the kind of long-form illustrated "manual" I have been looking for. Much appreciated and all the best to you!

You're welcome.

Keep an eye on this thread, there will be another version in a few weeks. I've already written a chapter on text styles.

Wow Mike, that's a really well written manual, in publisher I'm guessing. Thanks so much this is really useful as I'm about to embark on a big new pub project. I really like the Tips very useful guidance. The section on master pages and spreads is very in depth and it's my least understood area.

Serif need to improve their supporting documentation. The inbuilt help is terrible to use, hard to read the layout isn't helpful and hard to find anything relevant. Their videos are good but its the wrong format it you are stuck mid work. They should take some tips from this.

The books they published were great but now way out of date, they should do a digital update (paid) for each major release or as an add on to the product package.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the manual. It's great. I've just, today, started playing with Publisher & am trying to set up a template for a newsletter so that all the formatting elements etc are there.

I've set up 2 master pages - page 1 (cover if you like) & all the other pages. I want to take the title from the first page & have that as a running header through the document with page numbers. I've got the page numbers to work & have got the running header to show on page 1 (where I don't really want it), but is there a way to get that on the other pages, which are on master B?

Thanks

28 minutes ago, DebSki said:

Thanks for the manual. It's great. I've just, today, started playing with Publisher & am trying to set up a template for a newsletter so that all the formatting elements etc are there.

I've set up 2 master pages - page 1 (cover if you like) & all the other pages. I want to take the title from the first page & have that as a running header through the document with page numbers. I've got the page numbers to work & have got the running header to show on page 1 (where I don't really want it), but is there a way to get that on the other pages, which are on master B?

Thanks

Hello. You'll probably have better luck getting an answer to your question by starting a new topic of discussion; this thread is just for the unofficial PDF manual. I'm sure the mods can assist to move this over.

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

A small typo, on p.48 (56): should be Frontispiece instead of Frontispeace — which nonetheless is a nice proposition in these troubled times… 

(Etymonline)

frontispiece (n.) 1590s, "decorated entrance of a building," from French frontispice (16c.), which is probably from Italian frontespizio and Medieval Latin frontispicium "facade," originally "a view of the forehead, judgment of character through facial features," from Latin frons (genitive frontis) "forehead" (see front (n.)) + specere"to look at" (from PIE root *spek- "to observe").

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

On 11/23/2023 at 1:15 PM, Oufti said:

A small typo, on p.48 (56): should be Frontispiece instead of Frontispeace — which nonetheless is a nice proposition in these troubled times… 

Thanks, fixed for the next version.