You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unofficial PDF Manual - Expert Guide to Affinity Publisher

New version! I have uploaded a new version of this unofficial Publisher manual to the first post of this thread. In addition to being updated for the changes in Publisher 2.3, this version covers character and paragraph formatting, text styles, and all the other text-related features. It is 120 pages longer than the original version.

Although it's written for Publisher, most of the text features are the same for Designer or Photo so you may find it useful for the other Affinity applications, too.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for this great manual. I can imagine how much time you have spent on making such a professional work.

And I hope that Serif somehow compensates you for this outstanding contribution to the community.

Regards,
Otto

Affinity Suite v2.4 - Windows 11 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

MikeTO,

Thank you so much for the work you put into this manual. It reminds me of the early Adobe printed manuals at their very best in terms of style -- written and visual.

I've used Publisher for cards (birthday, seasonal etc) that were printed digitally, with great success. Now I'm considering something more ambitious: a book printed using litho from a Publisher PDF.

Aongus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 5:22 PM, MikeTO said:

I'll share an updated and expanded version when 2.4 is released so follow this thread to find out when it's available.

On this occasion, I would find comfortable if the newly added elements were highlighted in a way or another (like a line aside the paragraph?)

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

30 minutes ago, Oufti said:

On this occasion, I would find comfortable if the newly added elements were highlighted in a way or another (like a line aside the paragraph?)

I'll consider that for the future but Publisher doesn't offer tracking so it would be a lot of extra work.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

54 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I'll consider that for the future but Publisher doesn't offer tracking so it would be a lot of extra work.

I understand very well. It's late to ask. We'll see in the future. Thank you.  

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

• 3 weeks later...

I know, but in document settings you can select if for printing or web or Foto or different devices. I simply  want to produce a PDF from that to convert. But which setting is the best to use it afterwards on tablets and smartphones?

3 minutes ago, Goldeneast said:

I know, but in document settings you can select if for printing or web or Foto or different devices. I simply  want to produce a PDF from that to convert. But which setting is the best to use it afterwards on tablets and smartphones?

It's a good question, I think you should pose it in the thread below, so this thread focuses on Mike's document. It's going to be either a long history of workarounds and tips or excusplaining. Or if you're lucky, nuggets of useful tips. But it's unlikely to be covered in just 1-2 posts. 🙂 If you also spice up your post with a good title, the answers can be searched and used by others.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-macos-and-windows/

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

There isn't a straightforward way to prepare an Affinity document to create an eBook. Perhaps someday I'll add a section of tips for this topic but for now it's best to look elsewhere in these forums for that guidance.

For those interested, let's continue this conversation in the new thread:

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

There isn't a straightforward way to prepare an Affinity document to create an eBook. Perhaps someday I'll add a section of tips for this topic but for now it's best to look elsewhere in these forums for that guidance.

For those interested, let's continue this conversation in the new thread:

Thanks a lot!

Hi @MikeTO will there be an updated version when 2.4 comes out?

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

1 hour ago, tzvi20 said:

Hi @MikeTO will there be an updated version when 2.4 comes out?

Yes. It's ready to go, I'm just waiting for 2.4 to be released.

Edited by MikeTO
Fixed a glaring grammatical mistake! :-)

New version available for Publisher 2.4: I have uploaded a new version of my unofficial Publisher manual to the first post of this thread. This version has a chapter on images and picture frames as well as additional pages on exporting to PDF for digital publishers, the Tags panel, more OpenType features, and a few other features. Now 300 pages.

Most of the features are the same for Designer or Photo so you may find it useful for Designer and Photo, too.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...