You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AMD Radeon RX Hardware Acceleration

On 12/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, PSDfield said:

No, that means there is only a solution for octave working with iGPUs/APUs and NVIDIA graphics cards for mobile.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

There are lots of GPUs that will work with Affinity's OpenCL functions, not just the RTX 3000 series. You have choices of older NVIDIA cards (RTX 1000/2000 range), some Intel cards, and older AMD cards. You could try any of them.

Or, you can wait for AMD to fix their problem with the RX cards.

Even if you wait, you're no worse off than you were prior to 1.9, as there was no OpenCL hardware acceleration in the Affinity applications on Windows then; it was new with 1.9.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

9 hours ago, Rafael Rivera said:

Per my earlier post, OpenCL acceleration did not work with RTX3090. I'll make the rounds later and update drivers, apps, etc. and re-test but that's the information I have right now.

RTX3090 do not work with OCL? What the heck? Is the same with the rest of 3000 family cards?

3 hours ago, slizgi said:

RTX3090 do not work with OCL? What the heck? Is the same with the rest of 3000 family cards?

Well, it didn't work for that one user, with the driver level they were using.

It certainly works fine on my 3070.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 weeks later...

Alors pour information, vu que l’accélération matériel n’est toujours par présente, et que soit disant, le problème est chez AMD, je me suis permis de leur écrire. Et voici la réponse que j’ai eu...!!! :

Je vous remercie pour votre réponse.
Comme mon collègue vous l’a précédemment expliqué l’accélération matérielle n’est pas établie par les pilotes de la carte graphiques mais par leur intégration dans les logiciels.
Si vous avez des problèmes avec l’accélération matérielle sur un logiciel en particulier il vous faudra contacter directement le développeur de l’application afin qu’ils puissent rajouter l’intégration et la compatibilité de celle-ci avec votre matériel.

Alors qui nous dit la vérité ? !!! 

On 12/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, PSDfield said:

Well they tell it's solved. But I have updated drivers (I always updated them) and honestly, this issue still there.

2 minutes ago, Tormy said:

Well they tell it's solved. But I have updated drivers (I always updated them) and honestly, this issue still there.

Once AMD has the issue resolved, Serif would still need to test and then update the Affinity applications to enable the use of OpenCL with those GPUs.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 7:23 PM, Mel_P said:

I asked this on another question but am not sure if was the right area. Does hardware aceleration work on AMD graphics cards if just the Microsoft VGA driver is installed - i.e. the one that appears in you uninstall AMD software?

Mel

Probably not.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:20 PM, walt.farrell said:

Once AMD has the issue resolved, Serif would still need to test and then update the Affinity applications to enable the use of OpenCL with those GPUs.

yeah this driver is very basic and will barely run the monitor on it's native resolution with terrible performance.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

So can anyone from the developer team tell us what is the state of things is as of now? We have reached 22.2.2 driver. Have they fixed anything?

If so we wait for some minifix on your side?

if we install the pro drivers? Will it work or this problem exist there too?

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

On 2/26/2022 at 11:29 AM, nitro912gr said:

So can anyone from the developer team tell us what is the state of things is as of now? We have reached 22.2.2 driver. Have they fixed anything?

If so we wait for some minifix on your side?

if we install the pro drivers? Will it work or this problem exist there too?

Not even with the Pro (to me). I already tried it

Good day, the development team cannot handle the graphics cards from 2019 to now from AMD. Have not managed it even after 2 1/2 years. Don't believe in it any more either, for over a year promises have been made here and what has happened. NOTHING. AMD card owners should look for other software and write this off.
I wish all RX card owners a nice spring.

15 minutes ago, DenisD84 said:

Good day, the development team cannot handle the graphics cards from 2019 to now from AMD. Have not managed it even after 2 1/2 years. Don't believe in it any more either, for over a year promises have been made here and what has happened. NOTHING. AMD card owners should look for other software and write this off.
I wish all RX card owners a nice spring.

The problem is on the driver and AMD rdna cards have it with most programs that use opencl for gpgpu. Just Google it and you will see by yourself.

What can the team do?

I am team red since ati 9600 but this is getting ridiculous. For years the programs where only supporting cuda and now that finally supports opencl so AMD cards can play along AMD can't fix the stupid drivers for after 1 and a half years.

Current Workstation:

It would really nice, from a customers standpoint, to not have to buy certain brands to have a working system for media editing.

I won't be able to tell which company is to blame for the lack of the fix. But At this point it starts to get a bit odd.

According to AMD every software runs as planned wit hardware acceleration enabled. When i told them it does not, they told me that if "a few softwares don't it is on their end". And from what i read here is, that Serif seems to think the problem is on AMDs end.

Which leaves the customer in the dust.

Really disappointing, i was hopeing that in 2022, i would not be forced to buy Nvidia products when i want to have hardwar acceleration in software. Or different editing softwares...

5 hours ago, Lycorvinus said:

Really disappointing, i was hopeing that in 2022, i would not be forced to buy Nvidia products when i want to have hardwar acceleration in software. Or different editing softwares...

I can tell you, that not only AMD make problems. Some other combinations of INTEL/NVIDIA make problems too.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

8 hours ago, Komatös said:

I can tell you, that not only AMD make problems. Some other combinations of INTEL/NVIDIA make problems too.

Might be true.

I just know from my experience, that in the past, i never had such problems with nvidia unless it was a brand new released GPU. But in the past i also did not use Serif products. So who knows :D

But clarification and a proper statement would be pretty nice at this point.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:57 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Unfortunately we have discovered a bug with AMD's OpenCL driver in the AMD Radeon RX 5000 series and above graphics cards. This has been reported to AMD, and while we wait on a solution, we have blocked these cards from enabling hardware acceleration. We hope this will be a temporary change, but unfortunately we can't give estimates on when it's likely to be fixed. There is no need to downgrade from 1.9.1 to 1.8.5, as the software-only performance will be the same between these two versions. Thanks for your patience. 

7 hours ago, Mel_P said:

I'm getting really confused.  Can a Company spokesperson tell us what is going on please?

it has been done in the very beginning on this thread. Nothing relevant has changed.

The issue is hard as Affinity decided long ago to support a certain subset of HW acceleration APIs: Metal on Apple, and OpenCL on Windows (and Apple).

Now there is a bug affecting OpenCL on newer AMD GPUs. AMD seems to being slow to solve this issue as

1. AMD offers other APIs (like vulcan), so it has not a very high priority. Unfortunately Affinity can’t use other APIs without enormous effort on Affinity side
  2. The issue was caused by a principle architectural redesign of the driver by AMD, so it seems AMD will need major effort, but again does not give high priority 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:06 PM, Mark Ingram said:

I posted the following in another thread.

This was one major update from Affinity about the status and the causes.