Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm new to AP but a semi-pro Photoshop user. My problem is the Magic Wand, aka Flood Select Tool. I want it to select all white in a easy picture, but it selects nothing, on some layers it will select something, on others not. Everything is so messy in AP in my opinion. I'd also like to know if you can sell your keys because this is clearly not for me. I can't get anything done with Affinity Photo, so much at this point I happily pay a monthly fee just for stuff to work.

Attached a Photoshopped image, imagine me now wasting half an hour just to select a little piece of white.

epicmike3r_UHD.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Found it, you need to MANUALLY rasterize the layers before the tool starts working -- of course I do. I'm going back to Photoshop. Thank anyway guys.

Edited by Wybrem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wybrem said:

you need to MANUALLY rasterize the layers before the tool starts working

If you simply open an image no rasterization should be needed. It sounds like perhaps you created an empty document and placed an image into it. If you do that you get a special kind of layer that acts as a whole object rather than as a set of pixels.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It amazes me that people buy a new software, and expect it to function just like PS. I wonder if the OP took the time to try out AP before deciding on purchasing it? IMHO, those that want AP to be just like PS needs to stick with PS. I hope AP does not become a mirror, clone or so close to PS it's hard to differentiate the two. ;)


Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 ; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wybrem said:

you need to MANUALLY rasterize the layers before the tool starts working

Only if it is not a "(Pixel)" layer. Like @walt.farrell said, you probably placed an image into an empty document, or pasted an image copied from some other source into it, or dragged one into it. That results in an "(Image)" layer, a special type of layer that retains its pixel resolution independently of the document resolution.

If you just open the image normally, you get a "(Pixel)" layer.


Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yet another project and I can't finish it, the program keeps on crashing. I want a refund.  You really do get what you pay for. This program is terrible the few times I try to work with it, it either crashes or has no logic to it.

Edited by Wybrem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Wybrem said:

Yet another project and I can't finish it, the program keeps on crashing. I want a refund.  You really do get what you pay for. This program is terrible the few times I try to work with it, it either crashes or has no logic to it.

Thought you were going back to Photoshop.   You would then be getting and paying for what you seem to want.    Just me, but it doesn’t appear that there is much point in maligning Affinity Photo under the circumstances.   On the other hand, instead of saying that it either crashes or has no logic, why don’t you document what exactly you were doing before the crash?    Someone with a great deal of experience (not me) would be more than willing to help you out.   I am not a “semi-pro”  but I managed to recover a terribly damaged sepia-stained photograph from 1867 the first time I used Affinity Photo, including teasing the gentleman’s vanished right eye out of the murk.    A “pro” using Photoshop could only suggest copying the semi-visible left eye and then pasting it flipped vertically!     In my book any software worth having is worth learning.    Affinity Photo is superb but it just takes a willingness to learn something new.


21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display. MacOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 (which I am not changing).  3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz.  Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3.  1TB Fusion Drive.  Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.   iPad Pro 12.9, iOS v. 12.3.1, Apple Pencil.  Affinity Publisher 1.7.1,  Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1.   

Magic mouse.9_9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2nQ0hG0yTdk

this happens constantly when I guess copying one element to another document. Yes I really want to go back to PS but I also don’t want to pay 20 eur a month for something I use maybe 4 times a year. Right now I was asked to make a better ui for Fortnite and I’m not even working on it for 10 minutes or it crashes. It crashes when copying an element or at random with no error at all.

 

the facts that it is different than photoshop is really annoying but I try to deal with it. However this is ruining my work. Which is in this case very light as it’s meant for an after effects project.

I’ve browsed the web and it is filled with these complaints even on Macos. It’s running on a pretty much brand new computer with top tier specs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Wybrem said:

Yes I really want to go back to PS but I also don’t want to pay 20 eur a month for something I use maybe 4 times a year.

Can’t you just rent it for the months when you actually want to use it?


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wybrem said:

the facts that it is different than photoshop is really annoying but I try to deal with it.

AP never set out to just be just a cheap version of Photoshop - some of us quite like that it is different!

Maybe you'd be happier with Photoshop Elements?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IanSG said:

Beyond the fact that you did something on a Mac and AP crashed, I've literally no idea what that video's supposed to demonstrate!

I have no idea about it either, other than whatever was done was done on a PC, not a Mac. (That much is obvious from the dialog window briefly shown near the end.)


Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I have no idea about it either, other than whatever was done was done on a PC, not a Mac. (That much is obvious from the dialog window briefly shown near the end.)

Also obvious from the ‘Minimize/Maximize/Close’ buttons at top right (instead of ‘traffic lights’ at top left) briefly shown near the beginning, and the taskbar icons shown in the middle.

Wybrem wrote on YouTube:

Quote

Pls forget to like and subskribe.

OK, duly forgotten! devil2.gif


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IanSG said:

Beyond the fact that you did something on a Mac

Brain fade!!  :(


AP user, running Win10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having issues too. Opened a photo, so that I can delete the backgound. Flood select tool is not showing any preview but the numbers are moving up. Brand new laptop, newly purchased affinity.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 6:23 AM, Wybrem said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2nQ0hG0yTdk

this happens constantly when I guess copying one element to another document. Yes I really want to go back to PS but I also don’t want to pay 20 eur a month for something I use maybe 4 times a year. Right now I was asked to make a better ui for Fortnite and I’m not even working on it for 10 minutes or it crashes. It crashes when copying an element or at random with no error at all.

 

the facts that it is different than photoshop is really annoying but I try to deal with it. However this is ruining my work. Which is in this case very light as it’s meant for an after effects project.

I’ve browsed the web and it is filled with these complaints even on Macos. It’s running on a pretty much brand new computer with top tier specs. 

Sounds like you might be happier with Photoshop Elements, a slimmed down version of Photoshop that does not require a hefty monthly subscription

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, Pariah73 said:

Sounds like you might be happier with Photoshop Elements, a slimmed down version of Photoshop that does not require a hefty monthly subscription

No elements is to basic, I'm back at photoshop, just tried to AP again, it instantly crashes when importing 8K photos, it even crashes when you make a square 8K and try to copy it to a new project lmfao. It's so bad still. our whole company stayed on Adobe because Affinity photo is just to unstable and can't do basic things. Still regret buying it. I won't evne try to import my 50MP photos that I use for many photos such as in my first post here. Based on 5 50MP photos in Photoshop. Affinity Photo would prolly blow up the whole country here lfmao.

But even without 8K and beyond. I tried doing my current project in it. Which is making a ui for a game that's being developed by me. When it works it's good, but it crashes so much. Even Unreal Engine is more stable which says a lot xd. I'll try to make a video, maybe the devs can do something with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well have you tried CS2? Adobe is offering it for free as they are no longer supporting it.  It may not have a few features you are used to if you have used Photoshop CC but it does the job that CS2 was originally meant to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pariah73 said:

Well have you tried CS2? Adobe is offering it for free as they are no longer supporting it.  It may not have a few features you are used to if you have used Photoshop CC but it does the job that CS2 was originally meant to do. 

As discussed in the second part of this article, for several reasons CS2 is not very workable for most users.


Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I

On 3/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, Wybrem said:

Hi, I'm new to AP but a semi-pro Photoshop user. My problem is the Magic Wand, aka Flood Select Tool. I want it to select all white in a easy picture, but it selects nothing, on some layers it will select something, on others not. Everything is so messy in AP in my opinion. I'd also like to know if you can sell your keys because this is clearly not for me. I can't get anything done with Affinity Photo, so much at this point I happily pay a monthly fee just for stuff to work.

If you just want to select the white area's you can select by colour sampling: Select> Select Sample Colour and play with the tolerance.

If your having problems with a large image crashing when loading, have you tried placing an image into a new project instead? Obviously it will need rasterising to work on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Wybrem,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm sorry you are having trouble with Affinity Photo. Do you mind creating new thread in the Bugs on Windows section with as much details as possible for us to try to reproduce/replicate the issue here please? If we can replicate it we can surely fix it. Thank you.

Hi @Painty,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Sorry the delay getting back to you. First make sure you are working with a pixel layer (look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers Panel). If it says Image, right-click on the layer and select Rasterise. You should then be able to create the selection with the Flood Selection Tool. Note the that clicking with it (no dragging) will use the Tolerance value to select the colours that fit within the tolerance you specified. Dif you drag the tool instead it will increase/decrease the Tolerance value while you are selecting to add or remove more colours interactively to the selection.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, R C-R said:

As discussed in the second part of this article, for several reasons CS2 is not very workable for most users.

Naturally it's not the go-to solution, but I have been using it, problem free, on Windows 10 (1903) so it's worth a shot if OP doesn't find anything else to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×