You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity interface legibility

A long time user of graphic software of all types since 1989 I find the Affinity interface very difficult in terms of legibility, even on a fairly large screen. The fonts seem to be too thin for white on black, which of itself has only moderate legibility (reference many colour manuals). This seems to be trendiness at the expense of usability, being smart. Whatever other faults it might have had Serif software always offered visual clarity. As a designer for most of my life in many fields I feel repelled by this new approach. Admittedly this is a personal response but will probably result in me looking elsewhere for such software.

Michael

• Staff

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is something that was already discussed quite a few times in the forums. There will be improvements to the interface in future versions.

Meanwhile you can improve things slightly changing the font size in the Preferences, User Interface section as well as Background Grey Levels and UI Gamma (I'm not sure if the Windows version have all those options without checking first). Hope it helps a little.

MEB, as far as I can see in version 1.5.0.17 there is not a user interface preference to change the UI font size.

Michael, something that might be worth investigating is that Affinity Designer is DPI-Aware which means it works with Windows scaling. Obviously this doesn’t change the interface colour but can make a difference with the readability of the UI text.

Increasing the scaling to 125% has made the world of difference for me using a 22” monitor. Of course the downside is that all Windows programmes are also scaled which can have other consequences.

Here is a before and after scaling size comparison I posted in another thread:

post-32390-0-27170000-1472296498.png

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm surprised in how many people are turned away from the interface. While I do prefer a lighter look myself, most graphic designers come from Illustrator; which also has a dark look. Plus, Affinity was previously exclusive to Mac. I'm realizing that most Mac applications usually consist of gradients and structures whereas Windows' applications have a more flat look. (I know the new El Capitan and Sierra are getting flatter, but they still consist of gradients.)

But hey, every user has their preference.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm surprised in how many people are turned away from the interface...

I'm not surprised in the least.

While I do prefer a lighter look myself, most graphic designers come from Illustrator; which also has a dark look...

Er, Illy has had the ability to change the interface for, depending upon how one looks at the issue, several versions.

post-255-0-30275900-1474046146_thumb.png

But hey, every user has their preference.

Which is why Adobe eventually made their applications have the ability to change them to suit.

Mike

I can understand where the Affinity team came from though. They probably figured the latest look is the approach to take. Plus, it's still merely new.

I'm aware that the color of the UI is changeable in the Adobe products. With that screenshot you provided, I do feel that the Preferences window could still be better. Maybe allow the different sections to have picture icons, or allow the font to be larger, or something. In many ways, I do feel Adobe is less decorative than Affinity.

I have something to share with you. With the exception of the icons not being colored, I would love Affinity to have the look as shown in Adreas' post here.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi bleduc,

I like what Andreas did.

I sit in front of the computer 8-12 hours a day when I have work to do. I do layout work and my use of vector or image editors is to support that work. My main vector application is XDP. While it too has a dark interface (though it is lighter than AD), it is no where near as fatiguing to my eyes as AD is. There is an unsupported light mode for XDP, but it causes certain issues on my computer and so do not use it. Xara gets petitioned all the time to make the UI adjustable. While AD has a very limited ability to adjust the UI tone, it doesn't work well.

One of the main issues, for me, with the AD dark interface is the lack of my ability to determine tool selection at a glance.

Here are the main tool bars side by side.

post-255-0-43908900-1474048850_thumb.png

There really isn't much difference between the colorfulness of the icons/buttons themselves. Even though the XDP UI is lighter in tone, it is the simple background highlight of the active tool in XDP that I would like in AD.

Not to say I don't want the UIs themselves to allow a wider change in tone in both applications. I do.

Mike

One of the main issues, for me, with the AD dark interface is the lack of my ability to determine tool selection at a glance.

Me too! I've never used a Mac, and I have only have PSE, not a full version of Photoshop, but I have screenshots of the (CS6?) Application Frame view for OS X using the default dark UI and the interface for Windows using the 'middle light gray' theme. In both cases it's immediately obvious which tool is selected, something that certainly cannot be said for AD on Windows as it stands.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Actually, what you said about which tool is selected, Mike, I've been having that problem as well. I have an additional monitor for my laptop for doing on-screen drawing, but the monitor picture is more dull than what is on the laptop screen. Plus, the sunlight coming through the windows does cause a glare (mostly on dark pictures). So I do support your point on that.

most graphic designers come from Illustrator; which also has a dark look.

And those who have been using Illustrator most probably did so for years and know that the Creative Suite once had a grey interface that was easy to look at.

And those who have been using Illustrator most probably did so for years and know that the Creative Suite once had a grey interface that was easy to look at.

Back when I was in college and when I was first introduced to Illustrator, it was CS6 at the time, and I recall many people being disappointed with the new look. Also, I guess CS6 got a lot buggier than CS5.

I know, but I guess the other people in the class didn't.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I just got Affinity Photo and immediatly joined the forum to say that I find the interface too difficult to use. I can't find things quickly. It needs more contrast. Its put me off exploring Affinity Designer until I can see an improvement or better tools for modifying it. Otherwise I love the products and look forward to an Affinity Publisher. Goodbye Adobe if Affinity can even half match their products.

The UI looks fine to me and I personally don't feel I would change anything.

As I asked in another thread, are you using a calibrated monitors?

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

The UI looks fine to me and I personally don't feel I would change anything.

As I asked in another thread, are you using a calibrated monitors?

One of these computers it is calibrated CRT. The other is a laptop. But on either one, I find the contrast insufficient.

I also find the UI too dark in general and the facility for adjustment is seriously deficient. It is evident you do not, but isn't that the point of an adjustable interface, to make it adaptable for a wider range of perception and preference?

One of these computers it is calibrated CRT. The other is a laptop. But on either one, I find the contrast insufficient.

I also find the UI too dark in general and the facility for adjustment is seriously deficient. It is evident you do not, but isn't that the point of an adjustable interface, to make it adaptable for a wider range of perception and preference?

Yes, totally.

I was just wondering about the calibration, as I find it readable enough and I thought calibration could do the trick. But I do agree on making the UI adjustable.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

Here's the thing. A UI should never take a calibrated monitor to be usable. In fact, I know of zero UIs that require a calibrated monitor. It would make no sense.

Absolutely.

Andrew
-

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

the problem with public software developers is that they don't ask the end users:

I. What kind of application they like (in this case)

1. three separate apps with features from the other two

2. three separate apps without features from the other two

3. all-in-one

4. one core app where the user can choose which personas would like to buy

5. Xara model: separate apps + all-in-one

II. What features they need

III. The priority in adding them in the apps

Maybe it is still not too late to vote for these suggestions.  :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I can't believe you're still using a CRT for graphic design !! ??

High-end CRT's are still excellent, often film graders will still use CRT monitors. They can have excellent colour reproduction, the panels themselves last a long time and often don't suffer some of the brightness consistency issues of LED and LCD panels. Basically, the only downside is they are pretty big and there' some hard limits on the size of the panels.

CRT FTW.

I have something to share with you. With the exception of the icons not being colored, I would love Affinity to have the look as shown in Adreas' post here.

Yes, indeed, Andreas' mockup - adding colored icons in my mind - jumped at me in a nice way immediately. The way activated buttons are inverted makes them stand out without doubt. 

Hi,

the problem with public software developers is that they don't ask the end users:

I. What kind of application they like (in this case)

1. three separate apps with features from the other two

2. three separate apps without features from the other two

3. all-in-one

4. one core app where the user can choose which personas would like to buy

5. Xara model: separate apps + all-in-one

II. What features they need

III. The priority in adding them in the apps

Maybe it is still not too late to vote for these suggestions.  :)

The suggestions you mentioned which are not striked out are already in. 1-1, there are same features in all the apps. 1-2, there are exclusive features in each. 1-3, with any file, you click File > Edit in (other app) to customize in another one. 3, it contradicts with 2. A staff member mentioned before that the features are all about priorities and what people want the most, so 2 may not always work out.

Yes, indeed, Andreas' mockup - adding colored icons in my mind - jumped at me in a nice way immediately. The way activated buttons are inverted makes them stand out without doubt. 

Have you seen the actual version? There are sneak peeks on Twitter of a light UI that will be in 1.6.