You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Additional RAW format support

52 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Your sig says you have the 2.3 apps & MacOS Sonoma 14.2, so assuming that's correct can't you try with that, after downloading the 2.4 beta if you don't already have it?

I use that (2.3 apps under Sonoma) in the company on one of my machines, but I don't use Affinity Betas or several parallel Affinity version installments, as it's a waste of drive space for me, which I do urgently need for much more important dev apps, DBs and AppServers etc. - Further I also don't have the free spare time for some realy good testing of other foreign software (Affinity 2.4 betas etc.). As I have to do such things, beside the dev stuff, already on a daily basis for our company's own build software project systems and dependent software here. So the work I'm paid for. - Thus I leave Affinity beta testing to those who have the free time to do that and of course to the Serif employees who's job it is to do so.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Oh dear, long wait for Fujifilm X-H2 support and it isn't right
Any RAW file I open has this garbage all over it (I've tried several from different shoots
Note, highlight, shadow and tone warnings are all turned off
If I make no alterations at all, develop the file the markings are still there, if I then make no changes and export as either jpg or png the markings are on the exported files.
There also seems to be no pre applied curve to the file to replicate the camera settings so the image is very flat, easily fixed with adjustments but that is'nt how most would expect it to be.

photobeta.png

Hi @Terry Brooks,

I've just opened some Fujifilm X-H2 RAW files without issue...

Do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled in the Performance Settings? If so, it would be worth disabling it, rebooting Photo and then reopening the RAW file to see if you still see the same issue...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

1 hour ago, Terry Brooks said:

but there's still no in camera curve/settings applied, it's just a flat file

That's what Affinity Photo provides. It doesn't know how to read/apply in-camera settings. You get the RAW data, except for those options you can specify in the Develop Assistant.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
15 hours ago, Maxdanger said:

Hi @MEB

I've received my Sony A9iii (ILCE-9M3) and when I open RAW files in Photo 2.4 beta, it looks OK to start, but actually the bottom and right edges have bars of black pixels:

Here's the .ARW file for reference. It was captured in the RAW lossless compressed format.  A9302665.ARW

And for what it's worth, I can open the same file in Photo 2.3 and it renders exactly the same with the black bars.

Very happy to provide more samples with this camera if you need.

Thanks for the file @Maxdanger.

11 hours ago, yomogida said:

Hi @MEB

Uploaded the target image.
Please check it.
Thanks.

Thanks @yomogida. Much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Terry Brooks said:

Any RAW file I open has this garbage all over it (I've tried several from different shoots
If I make no alterations at all, develop the file the markings are still there, if I then make no changes and export as either jpg or png the markings are on the exported files.
There also seems to be no pre applied curve to the file to replicate the camera settings so the image is very flat, easily fixed with adjustments but that is'nt how most would expect it to be.

Thanks @Terry Brooks. Do you mind uploading the file show above using this upload link please? Thank you.

On 1/31/2024 at 9:29 PM, R C-R said:

Besides, as I understand it, the only RAW option with any of them for non-pro models is DNG, which I thought already was supported in AP. Am I wrong about that?

FWIW, I temporarily installed the ON1 Photo RAW for Mobile app on my non-pro iPhone 13, & took a photo using it to create a DNG file. That file opens fine into the Develop persona in both AP v1 & V2.

With that in mind, perhaps it would be less confusing to explicitly mention that support for the ProRAW RAW format is what has been added ... or do I still have that wrong?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

... perhaps it would be less confusing to explicitly mention that support for the ProRAW RAW format is what has been added ... or do I still have that wrong?

Make yourself clear what the Apple ProRAW format is all about format wise.

... ProRAW uses the industry standard digital negative (DNG) file format, so you can open ProRAW files with apps that are compatible with DNG files. For the best experience, however, use apps that are compatible with ProRAW files, like the Photos app on your iPhone with iOS 14.3 or later or on a Mac with macOS Big Sur 11.1 or later.

You can share the original unedited ProRAW photo, which has the .dng file extension. And if you edit the photo in the Photos app, you can also share the edited version, which has the .jpg file extension when shared. ...

Next look at the LibRaw website what iPhone models are listed to be supported there by their latest release lib version, as that's what APh will finally use for their Serif RAW engine.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

30 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

... ProRAW uses the industry standard digital negative (DNG) file format

I guess what is confusing me is that if ProRAW uses that standard, & even some iPhone cameras that do not support ProRAW do support the DNG file format, then support for what exactly has been added to this beta?

I always thought that support for the DNG format was all or nothing. Is that not true?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I guess what is confusing me is that if ProRAW uses that standard, & even some iPhone cameras that do not support ProRAW do support the DNG file format, then support for what exactly has been added to this beta?

I always thought that support for the DNG format was all or nothing. Is that not true?

Well as ProRAW is Apple's way of generating (iOS wise supporting) their own tweaked iPhone DNG output specifically only for Pro/Max iPhone models,  they for sure do apply some of their own custom image adjustment processings and/or profiles in DNG here. So things their software (like Apple Photos) can deal here with, but other software might not interpret it completely the same way (...similar as to by cam vendors placed things as/in specific Exif MakerNotes, which also not every software knows to make use of).

One of the above links I showed previously in this thread, aka the one which points to a reddit discussion, deals partly with this theme (ProRAW vs LR RAW).

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

So things their software (like Apple Photos) can deal here with, but other software might not interpret it completely the same way...

So are you suggesting that what is new in this beta is better handling of some of Apple's custom stuff?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

So are you suggesting that what is new in this beta is better handling of some of Apple's custom stuff?

I assume so, for certain added iPhone models RAW/ProRAW support.

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

I assume so, for certain added iPhone models RAW/ProRAW support.

Ok, so I guess that brings me back to suggesting that the new(?) ProRAW support be made more obvious in the first post.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
On 2/2/2024 at 12:01 PM, Terry Brooks said:

photobeta.png

Hi @Terry Brooks,
Do you mind attaching the RAW file shown above please? I haven't been able to reproduce this issue with the files I found/tested.
What image file format are you using - uncompressed or lossless compression?
What graphic card do you have on your system? Do you mind attaching a screenshot of the Affinity Photo settings, Performance section please? Thanks.

• Staff

The issue "Sony ILCE-7CM2 (A7C 2): colors off ("tinted" magenta)" (REF: AF-1949) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2279".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

Thanks for the response.
We have confirmed the operation with version 2.4.0.2279.
The phenomenon in which magenta color becomes stronger when importing RAW files taken from Sony ILCE-7CM2 (A7C 2) was resolved.
However, in the white balance item of the develop mode, the "Hue" setting is set to -100.
When I move the "Tint" bar, the magenta is strong again. The minimum value can only be set to "-50" and it is necessary to reset it.
Is this behavior normal?
Please confirm.

2.4.0.2279_check.jpg

Edited by yomogida

Hi @yomogida,

Are you able to Zip and upload one of the RAW files so we can take a closer look?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Build 2.4.0.2294 adds support for these Camera models (which have also been added to the first post in this thread)

Apple iPhone 14 Plus
Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max
Apple iPhone 15 Plus
Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max

Hasselblad CFV-50c
Hasselblad CFV-100c

OM Digital Solutions OM-1 Mark II

Sony ILX-LR1

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff
On 2/15/2024 at 12:23 PM, yomogida said:

However, in the white balance item of the develop mode, the "Hue" setting is set to -100.
When I move the "Tint" bar, the magenta is strong again. The minimum value can only be set to "-50" and it is necessary to reset it.
Is this behavior normal?

We believe we know how to fix this but the change is unlikely to make it into the initial release of 2.4, which has reached release candidate stage. We do not think that the fix can be included in 2.4.0 as to do so would mean it would be released without sufficient time to check for any possible regressions it may cause to other camera formats, sorry.

Hopefully we will start another beta soon (2.4.1 or 2.5.0) and this fix will be included.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi @Patrick Connor Looking forward to its release. I hope that the bugs that were reported during this cycle against the new features are fixed before going out. Also, I hope that in 2.5 we get DOCX export in publisher, and a long-awaited blend tool.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black