You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi @R C-R can you post in that interview with ash about they are working on AI tools and a cloud service for content?

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.3.1 Affinity Designer 2 2.3.1 Affinity Publisher 2 2.3.1 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

5 minutes ago, tzvi20 said:

Hi @R C-R can you post in that interview with ash about they are working on AI tools and a cloud service for content?

If you mean posting a link to the post about that check this last post in this topic: 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

serious legal issues

People copy. They always have. Actually getting a legal judgement can cost a lot of money and take a lot time. So the law is not actually that much of an impediment.

I was going to pursue a small claims court case against an airline a few years ago for a matter of about £700. In the end, it was taking so much of my time and energy that it just wasn't worth me doing it, even though I had a very strong case. I probably would have won, but at what cost to me?

2 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That remains to be seen. It's easy enough to say such and such is the case.

…the legal aspects are in discussion, for instance:

https://www.mindprison.cc/p/ai-art-challenges-meaning-in-a-world

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20230601STO93804/eu-ai-act-first-regulation-on-artificial-intelligence

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Actually getting a legal judgement can cost a lot of money and take a lot time. So the law is not actually that much of an impediment.

As I said, it is the cost that is the issue, not the law. Imagine if someone uses AI generation for a client & then someone else decides it has infringed on their rights, so the sue or threaten to sue the client. That does not have to happen before clients decide they want nothing to do with anybody using AI for this kind of work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I was referring to that interview.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.3.1 Affinity Designer 2 2.3.1 Affinity Publisher 2 2.3.1 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

From the second link:

Generative AI, like ChatGPT, would have to comply with transparency requirements:

Disclosing that the content was generated by AI

Designing the model to prevent it from generating illegal content

Publishing summaries of copyrighted data used for training

It will be interesting to see how that affects clients' desire to hire people who use it ...

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, tzvi20 said:

I was referring to that interview.

Referring to it how? We can't post to the interview, just link to it.

Affinity Photo 

I meant the link to it.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

@R C-R you can print it as a PDF then  upload the PDF. It would make a lot of people happy after they see this interview...

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

1 minute ago, tzvi20 said:

@R C-R you can print it as a PDF then  upload the PDF. It would make a lot of people happy after they see this interview...

I'm not sure what you mean about printing the interview & then uploading it as a PDF to the forum. Anyone can copy the translated text @Dan C provided in the post I linked to above but the interview itself is in Japanese so if you want that, just use the link in Dan's post to open that web page & do with it whatever you want, using whatever translation service or plugin suits you best.

Affinity Photo 

11 hours ago, tzvi20 said:

you can print it as a PDF then  upload the PDF

That would be a massive copyright infringment. Just so you know.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

There is no copyrighting(at least that I see in it but @Return did that already for someone else just posted.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

1 hour ago, loukash said:

That would be a massive copyright infringment. Just so you know.

No idea if it would be or not but either way there is no reason to print it out as a PDF before posting it, or for that matter to post the translated version when people can do the translation themselves on their own systems & just read that, avoiding any issues of copyright infringement.

Affinity Photo 

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:
>> Alexa, ask ChatGTP for that interview & and send me a translated PDF <<

Just curious, but did you actually try that? Did it work?

(No Alexa or ChatGPT access here to test with, nor will there ever be for reasons that have to do with privacy & security.)

Affinity Photo 

On 11/2/2023 at 9:32 PM, Thomahawk said:

So the one thing that is sure is that Affinity MUST include AI tools or otherwise it will be doomed. Who would still buy a car without power steering? 

Maybe an easy fix could be to include a plugin like Alpaca AI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4O07Zuy3uc

That is more of an argument to not include such plugin in Affinity. The video is even making the argument the plugin is better than Adobe's generative fill.

Instead, we just need the scripting/plugins API for Affinity. That is how Alpaca was made available for Photoshop and Stable diffusion for Krita etc. No company can keep up with the pace of AI development. Whatever they include will be obsolete almost by the time they ship it.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read the full discussion (16 pages is a bit much), but here's three points to consider:

1) Looking away (or making fun of the technology) does not help at all. People WANT it. And even Skylum (Luminar) already jumped, better: stumbled on the train.

2) Everybody who ever did some more complex image corrections will LOVE this new tool.

3) Serif will lose a major part of their customer base to PS and LM if they keep on ignoring reality.

Now for a possible solution ...

I read things like "Cloud" and "legal" ... Sounds like a real wrong approach. It's the approach PS and LM chose, but there's another solution, maybe better: local install.

If Serif provides a local installation of "Stable Diffusion" (most flexible AI solution today, also free to use) combined with a "safe" pre-installed model/checkpoint, disallowing nudity, also celebrity and artist fakes, they should be on the safe side: Images will be generated by the user's computer, not by a cloud service owned by Affinity. However, users could use other models/checkpoints different from the "safe" one (like URPM) at their very own discretion.

That way, there wouldn't be any cloud costs to be covered by Serif, also Serif would not be liable for naughty things users might do if they dare to download and install other models/checkpoints than the preinstalled and highly recommended one.

There's several more benefits, but I wish to keep this short.

Drawback: Users need a modern GPU, starting from RTX 2070 with 8 GB of VRAM and more, and about 30 GB free disk space. That's what I would call minimum requirements.

Think about it, correct me if I am wrong.

Hey @Jörn Reppenhagen check out this interview with @Ash from september

Interview with Serif CEO Ashley Hewson _ Tidy (1).pdf

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

I'm genuinely puzzled why all those smart folks who argue that "if Serif doesn't implement [insert your wet dream feature here] then they will go out of business in three, two, one" simply don't start their own company and make the big bucks themselves…? :D 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Only if the extra cost is worth it. In any comparison with Photoshop, price MUST be considered.

Yes, their major advantage is already lost. There are already free versions. No need to switch and pay for it. MS just now added it even to MS Paint in windows 11.

If you want selections combined with generative fill, then Krita has it for free. The reason Krita has it is because they have good plugin/extensions. Which continues to be my argument for Affinity. They are already working on it. It is the best path forward in this crazy rapidly changing landscape to simply allow integration with whatever will be coming.