You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You want to be like director? Well, theres a position called "ART DIRECTOR". You cant become one by just saying "from now on, I will tell people what to do!". You are going through stages of your artistic career, creating art on your own, to finally reach the point where somebody - looking at your body of work - decides that wants to trust you with managing other people to keep the artistic vision consistent.

But then again, there are level and details to everything. You can take bunch of kindergarten kids, tell them to draw an elephant and feel like you are, technically, art director. Technically. And again, if you personally feel that saying what you wants makes you.. well, somebody, then nobody cant stop you from doing so. Just dont be surprised if actual artists will laugh at you a little bit. Because it is funny, all that mental gymnastics involved in this make-believe charade.

17 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

In film making, it is the person who "collects and incorporates the ideas" that gets the credit.

OK, but in generative AI there is no one person who collects everything used to generate the output. That is the result of the algorithm(s) that powers the AI & the material it was trained on. So does that mean there is no one person who can claim credit for it, or more importantly has the rights to say who can use it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That remains to be seen.

That's my point! Nobody knows how this will play out so there is no way to know who can claim exclusive usage rights of anything an AI helped create. So for commercial uses in particular that has to be a big concern, one that will probably benefit nobody much except lawyers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The thing with musician, choreographer, director is that those people are actually steering the project, correcting it as it goes, they all are doing the work, shaping its final form. None of it goes into writing prompt. There is no involvement in the process. Its like writing prompt in image search and claim that you are an author of images that were shown to you. Or like calling a singer somebody who just pretends that is singing, moving his mouth to the song that is played from recorder. Its ridiculous. And a bit sad. Because if you want to be an artist, a creator, a director.. whatever. YOU CAN. It will cost you time and effort but it will be worth it. Are people really that lazy? Have zero confidence in themselves that trying to find magic, low effort button? A shortcut to pretend that they are artists?

Theres lot of possibilities in creative use of AI. If you are making some sci-fi corridor, wall of which is covered with random cables - well then by all means generate wall with cables if that speeds up bringing your vision to life. Thats not different from using a photo and doing over paint. Or like in 3D visualization using assets made by somebody else. You dont have to model and texture every book on the shelf to be able to claim that you are author of whole visualization. Because there is ton of additional work involved. So sure, use AI as a tool. Not as replacement for yourself. I am only talking about that cases where everything is generated with one click and the clicker feels like he is an author somehow.

You're not.

But you can be!

Make an effort. You can be that person or reduce yourself to be disguised as that person. You want to be an artist - or cosplay an artist. Its your choice.

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

The writer is, as you put it, "shaping the final form". It is clear that the style of dancing in these two cases is completely different. The choreographers would understand what the writer intends, even if the writer cannot dance a single step. 

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, the choreographer(s), director(s), dancer(s) et al do not necessarily do what they think the writer intends, & may even film several different versions to see which one works best for the final release.

Affinity Photo 

When I see prompts super creative prompts with words like "Artstation Trending" or my favorite "Masterpiece" plus few real artists name thrown to the mix to directly rip style from I only want to laugh.

Yeah, thats totally the same like writing your own scene.

14 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Absolutely. But the writer still gets the credit for the writing, even if the choreographers/dancers/etc do something different.

So how does that relate to AI generated content? Should the programmers who developed the algorithm that powers the AI, whoever determined what or how it should be trained on, or any of the myriad of creators of that content each get some of the credit? Each is in some sense a 'writer' of the final product.

Affinity Photo 

31 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I don't know yet about using it for artwork. I did look at it for code generation. The results were not good. I refer you to the link below. 

Thats great example actually. I have no clue about coding. Out of curiosity I have generated myself script to use in Maya. It didn't worked first time, I have asked chat to fix it and it did worked. Extremely simple thing but I could not write it myself. Neither I have knowledge to say if it could be improved.

BUT I DONT CALL MYSELF A PROGRAMMER ;)

3 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That remains to be seen. It is here and it won't be going away.

It won't be going away but that does not mean it will remain popular or become a 'must have' if it turns out that using it for any commercial purpose exposes the user to serious legal issues that could end up costing more to sort out than hiring a human to do the job.

Affinity Photo 

Hi @R C-R can you post in that interview with ash about they are working on AI tools and a cloud service for content?

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

5 minutes ago, tzvi20 said:

Hi @R C-R can you post in that interview with ash about they are working on AI tools and a cloud service for content?

If you mean posting a link to the post about that check this last post in this topic: 

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That remains to be seen. It's easy enough to say such and such is the case.

…the legal aspects are in discussion, for instance:

https://www.mindprison.cc/p/ai-art-challenges-meaning-in-a-world

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20230601STO93804/eu-ai-act-first-regulation-on-artificial-intelligence

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Actually getting a legal judgement can cost a lot of money and take a lot time. So the law is not actually that much of an impediment.

As I said, it is the cost that is the issue, not the law. Imagine if someone uses AI generation for a client & then someone else decides it has infringed on their rights, so the sue or threaten to sue the client. That does not have to happen before clients decide they want nothing to do with anybody using AI for this kind of work.

Affinity Photo 

I was referring to that interview.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

From the second link:

Generative AI, like ChatGPT, would have to comply with transparency requirements:

Disclosing that the content was generated by AI

Designing the model to prevent it from generating illegal content

Publishing summaries of copyrighted data used for training

It will be interesting to see how that affects clients' desire to hire people who use it ...

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, tzvi20 said:

I was referring to that interview.

Referring to it how? We can't post to the interview, just link to it.

Affinity Photo 

I meant the link to it.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

@R C-R you can print it as a PDF then  upload the PDF. It would make a lot of people happy after they see this interview...

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

1 minute ago, tzvi20 said:

@R C-R you can print it as a PDF then  upload the PDF. It would make a lot of people happy after they see this interview...

I'm not sure what you mean about printing the interview & then uploading it as a PDF to the forum. Anyone can copy the translated text @Dan C provided in the post I linked to above but the interview itself is in Japanese so if you want that, just use the link in Dan's post to open that web page & do with it whatever you want, using whatever translation service or plugin suits you best.

Affinity Photo 

11 hours ago, tzvi20 said:

you can print it as a PDF then  upload the PDF

That would be a massive copyright infringment. Just so you know.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

There is no copyrighting(at least that I see in it but @Return did that already for someone else just posted.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

1 hour ago, loukash said:

That would be a massive copyright infringment. Just so you know.

No idea if it would be or not but either way there is no reason to print it out as a PDF before posting it, or for that matter to post the translated version when people can do the translation themselves on their own systems & just read that, avoiding any issues of copyright infringement.

Affinity Photo 

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:
>> Alexa, ask ChatGTP for that interview & and send me a translated PDF <<

Just curious, but did you actually try that? Did it work?

(No Alexa or ChatGPT access here to test with, nor will there ever be for reasons that have to do with privacy & security.)

Affinity Photo