You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo v2 .exe file location

6 minutes ago, myclay said:

I just wanted to make sure that you (a fresh account with no name (yet) to it) are not trying to steal my and other peoples bank data.

Fair enough, but I also looked at your website and Instagram, all empty too :)

My system checks all downloaded files as they are downloaded, I did a test download, as well as scanning the file before posting it, so I do understand your thinking.

Thanks for understanding the concerns, no ill intentions from my side.
Works being done on a new web presence and duly noted that it needs to represent my newest creations. :)

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

I imagine you might have spaces in your path? I’ll see if I can fix that… 

No spaces in path but spaces in jpg file name, unless you include filespec as part of path to the file. Your aflaunch.exe chops off everything before the space in the filespec so the files fail to load in Faststone Image Viewer.

For instance, I tried to load
G:\[TopFolder]\[SubFolder]\2022-10-07-GardenCleanup\2022-10-07-Garden Cleanup-01.jpg
from Faststone Image Viewer.

APhoto2 launched from Faststone but returned error:
The File was not found . The full path to the file and the filename was displayed but ended at the blank space

Second error message displayed the portion of the filespec that followed the blank space.
Cleanup-01.jpg
The file was not found

I usually don't use spaces in filespecs, but I was careless when I renamed this one out of the camera.

Thanks for working on this. 

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

1 hour ago, myclay said:

I just wanted to make sure that you (a fresh account with no name (yet) to it) are not trying to steal my and other peoples bank data.

Using an EXE file would be a big risk even if the account was an old one with plenty of posts and a name. There is no guarantee that the person who build the EXE file didn't have a virus on their computer. Software from Serif is different because they have a build and signing process and we are already trusting that process by running their software.

Yep @Matterdor I agree 100%, thats why I shared how I build my exe file so others could build it without any potential risks.

<Moderated>

So, I have Affinity V2 installed on my iMac and my PC. On my iMac, the Apps are installed in the Applications folder. Really simple for FastRawViewer to link. However, on my PC, Affinity V2 Apps are installed in a Microsoft Store thing which is not accessible to FastRawViewer. Not sure why? In any event, Serif has two choices at this juncture to remedy the PC install debacle - Arrogance/Ego (do nothing and continue with these Rube Goldberg sometimes maybe workarounds) or Customer Centric (install the Apps like V1 so we can link to them). Ashley Hanson - you might want to invoke your "one more thing" > please remedy this issue.

I have Capture One 22 on Windows 11 and I can connect to Photos 2. It took some time and effort and not a little frustration.

However, I echo what has been said elsewhere, this is a disaster for Serif in the way it has been implemented on Windows. I would wish for a total reissue with a 'normal' installation implementation. I would be happy to uninstall and re-install.

1 minute ago, Silversnapper said:

I have Capture One 22 on Windows 11 and I can connect to Photos 2. It took some time and effort and not a little frustration.

However, I echo what has been said elsewhere, this is a disaster for Serif in the way it has been implemented on Windows. I would wish for a total reissue with a 'normal' installation implementation. I would be happy to uninstall and re-install.

That's the solution I'm hoping they come up with too. After all the hassle an uninstall/reinstall is a piece of cake.

forum.png

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

Programmers who live on the cutting edge aren't the ones getting bled...

Geez. Who cares what MS is suggesting. Regular installers aren't going away anytime soon. Just admit this was a boneheaded decision and reverse course before too much time passes.

I agree completely.

Edited by François R
Minor correction

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

4 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

No spaces in path but spaces in jpg file name, unless you include filespec as part of path to the file. Your aflaunch.exe chops off everything before the space in the filespec so the files fail to load in Faststone Image Viewer.

What do you configure in Faststone Image Viewer? Is it just the program name, or can you configure how the file name is passed? If you can configure that, perhaps putting the file name in double quotes ("name") will resolve it. That kind of thing has worked with some programs in the past, for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/10/2022 at 10:57 AM, Dan C said:

Windows preferred install method for applications going forwards is .MSIX, though we do appreciate we are slightly ahead of the curve here.

Ahead of the curve? This is literally the only significant piece of software I use that chose to deliberately implement Microsoft's horrible tablet centric interface-in-an-interface and totally break the desktop experience.

It was an appallingly bad decision for numerous reasons, some of which have been highlighted in this thread.

I recommend the following fix that you implement ASAP in a maintenance release: when installing, create a stub executable in C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo that contains a copy of the icon and invokes the executable stored in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\<mangled installation folder name>\App\Photo.exe. Rinse-repeat for Designer and Publisher. In this way, the applications will be accessible using the standard desktop interface metaphor of Windows as well, instead of only via their ridiculous Windows App model that nobody I know even uses. 

9 hours ago, myclay said:

The new version works now with 3Dcoat and this variant works also with Blender, thank you very much.

You don't need to use this method with Blender, just type AffinityPhoto2.exe in the box. Don't try to browse to the .exe. Not sure if you can do this with 3dCoat as I don't have it. HTH

image.png.bc66160c13385945fdfd8d0414608d52.png

Hello John,
form the deepest of my heart; Thank you so much! 👍
There are now three different working ways for linking from Blender to AFPhotoV2  but your genius finding means that the linking between both programs is now truly update proof.*
(*Each AFPhotoV2 update will change its Foldernaming path to the exe)

Edit; 3Dcoat is way stricter, for it to work, the exe file from Mark Ingram is so far the only way.

I must agree with anyone that Serif should abandon msix.
It makes zero sense to sandbox a painting program, for webbrowsers it might be necessary but only gives a false sense of security.

Edited by myclay
spellchecking, added info about testing Johns finding with 3DCoat.

• Staff

@Sangoma & @myclay

Chill you two, I've hidden and moderated a number of your posts

This will have an official technical solution based on sangoma's files. I'm locking the thread. If you want to mute others here and not see posts then that's available.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 hours ago, rvst said:

I recommend the following fix that you implement ASAP in a maintenance release: when installing, create a stub executable in C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo that contains a copy of the icon and invokes the executable stored in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\<mangled installation folder name>\App\Photo.exe. Rinse-repeat for Designer and Publisher. In this way, the applications will be accessible using the standard desktop interface metaphor of Windows as well, instead of only via their ridiculous Windows App model that nobody I know even uses. 

I've mentioned elsewhere that we use "App Execution Alias" to enable this scenario. You can find the aliases in the following location:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPublisher2.exe

Please replace username with your Windows username. Also, those paths are already in your %PATH% variable so you can launch them without even specifying the full path, e.g. AffinityPhoto2.exe.

• Staff

This news will also help some in this thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Most users can get their DAM to work with Affinity Photo 2 using the instructions in this post

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd