Hi

I am used to using PagePlus 9 and use the book feature to stitch together many articles with photos from different authors and sources to make a school publication which is photo rich and can run to 90 pages plus at times.  The articles arrive randomly over time and the ability to create chapters and then re-order and re-index is invaluable.  Is the chapter feature available on Infinity Publisher?

2 hours ago, Alastair Cook57 said:

I am used to using PagePlus 9 and use the book feature to stitch together many articles with photos from different authors and sources to make a school publication which is photo rich and can run to 90 pages plus at times.  The articles arrive randomly over time and the ability to create chapters and then re-order and re-index is invaluable.  Is the chapter feature available on Affinity Publisher?

Currently no. From your described workflow I doubt that Publisher would be able to handle it without a lot of work from your end. A chapter based system would be a real boon not only for yourself. I much prefer to wait until everything is in and am constantly disappointed by the real world.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.8.4 | Affinity Photo 1.8.4 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.4 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.8.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.x

To Affinity: are there plans to provide a facility to create a book from a series of chapters in separate files? I previously used indesign but have created a large book on Designer in eight chapters and am now concerned that I have wasted a lot of my time. I didn't think to check whether this facility is available as I assumed that it was as everyone is writing how much better Designer is than inDesign

27 minutes ago, PeterHolmes said:

I didn't think to check whether this facility is available as I assumed that it was as everyone is writing how much better Designer is than inDesign

If you are the only person working on a book, then there is very little or no value in having a book facility in Publisher.

If you have a team of people working on a book then that facility is rather important.

If you split your book in chapters then you can easily PDF each individual chapter and put the chapters together at the end.

You should be aware that the latest Publisher beta has an option of importing other Publisher documents.

DOCUMENT -> Add Pages from File ...

This feature is still quite buggy but you can start testing it and submitting bug reports in Publisher Beta forums.

Finally, this is not a must have feature, by any means, especially now that we can import other documents, unless, like I said earlier you produce books in a team.

I'm someone who makes books in a team (and, frankly, it seems this is a very common publishing situation, unless your are self-publishing your novel). And I add my voice to the request for a book feature. Unfortunately, pasting separate PDF files is not feasible if you want to keep indexes and cross-references in synch, and importing is not practical for frequent updates of the book during work.

Paolo

I have a book that is currently in rough draft.  It is currently in InDesign (the old creative suite), and I would like to migrate it to Affinity Publisher.  It's presently a hobby, but I'd like to turn into a small business when I retire in several years.

I've purchased Publisher, and really like it so far.  Udemy.com has a good course that teaches the Affinity suite.  My book is about 650 pages, has about 300 illustrations (some vector and some raster), and about 150 tables.  In InDesign, it is broken up into about 20 chapters, which are separate files.  These separate files make it easier to manage illustration links, the sections of text, and the index that spans the whole book.  Plus, I can imagine that trying to edit a single file that big would bring any program to its knees -- whether it is an Adobe or Affinity product!

I work in a team, but the text and artwork are all done separately before they get to page layout.  Separate files for working as a team isn't a major interest for me, but I expect it is for others.

For these reasons, I add my voice to the above and request that Affinity add to Publisher the ability to create a book from multiple chapter files -- including managing a Table of Contents and an Index across the individual chapter files.

Affinity makes great products, and I appreciate all the work you're doing to make a better product at a great price!

Best Regards,
Mark

On 11/15/2019 at 12:00 AM, Seneca said:

You should be aware that the latest Publisher beta has an option of importing other Publisher documents.

DOCUMENT -> Add Pages from File ...

It's an import. It would be nice if it was a simple link, so that you'd edit that content only in one place.

10 minutes ago, Chapit Zulkefli said:

seems likely no further response regarding this matter, ay?

Looks like it.  I was hoping Affinity would at least acknowledge the need and add it to their wish list of future features.  I’m disappointed that they’ve been silent on this.

21 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

I think the main workforce in the Affinity Publisher team is just now focusing on the iPad version of Affinity Publisher, so, new features may be a little delayed...

For me, a full blown DTP app on iPad will be awesome!

If this is true, rather than simple speculation, it does suggest that the loyal Windows users who have come forward from PagePlus are being overlooked.

1 hour ago, Daniel Gibert said:

I stand for a book/chapter management system. We do team editing of catalogs and to have page numbers and styles coordinated on multiple documents for each catalog product family is key for any team workflow.

I cosign. It does help my workflow especially dealing with tons of pages and chapter. This is the only feature that made me hesitate to fully scrap my indesign subscription.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:22 AM, PeterHolmes said:

To Affinity: are there plans to provide a facility to create a book from a series of chapters in separate files? 

Same question. 

I would also like to request that book and separate chapter/part management capability be added to Affinity Publisher. Thanks.