You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Images on pdf export bug on 1.7.0.167

I also had trouble with an older file. At first it seemed to open properly, but on exporting, many of the images did not export, while some embedded pdfs exported only partially.

I could fix it by

- rasterizing the pdfs

- disabling all filters

- disabling all adjustments such as opacity

I don't know if the problem is because it's an older file or if these problems would persist if i rebuilt the file from scratch in the current version ....

I can share the file in a personal message but not on the forum.

I'm also getting missing images in exported PDFs.

The missing images are placed PDFs. These placed PDFs contain jpg images.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a picture frame in an Affinity document and place a jpg.
2. Export as PDF.
3. Create a new Affinity document and place the pdf created above.
4. Export as PDF.

The second exported PDF is missing the original jpg image. Sometimes parts of the jpg appear. Sometimes the bounding box of the image appears.

[ macos beta 1.7.0.167 ]

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

3 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

i've had to rasterize the file before export,

I've done the same thing and once rasterised I was able to PDF some book covers successfully. Interestingly, I didn't have that problem with earlier Betas.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

13 hours ago, AdamW said:

Thank you. We caught this just too late after 167 went out, but have fixed it and will be issuing another update in with the mix of new Photo and Designer Betas as soon as we can.

Nice! Thank you!

You just need a little bit more attention if you're doing work for a client like i am (and i've done a lot of them in AFPub) :$ And i think that is the best way to test it, in real scenarios.

35 minutes ago, ricoho said:

I can't export a pdf as PDF/X-1a: I get the message that there is an error.

The applications seems to have issues with text/font in your document. A PDF/X-1a export is possible with the 4 text frames in the header/footer set to invisible.
Weird: in the resulting PDF all remaining text become curves.

As a workaround to get a PDF with all text you could convert these 4 frames from text to curves – with the little disadvantage that you can't alter the text in the PDF (- and in your document if you save it curved). Unfortunately in the PDF all text become curves.

A faster but less quality workaround is to choose the export option "Rasterise: Everything".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

This problem has been solved. Please download the latest beta, currently 1.7.0.174 but any later one would be pinned to the top of the forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, get in shape said:

I'm on 1.8 and also missing images on PDF Export. 
So is it still a bug or is it a setting?

I do not know of a setting where an image visible in the document is excluded from export (unless you are not exporting a whole page or spread). If you are getting that error in 1.8.1, it is likely a bug. I recommend you uploaded a reduced version of the document that shows the problem.

5 minutes ago, get in shape said:

I was too impatience, file size was still calculating, while I already hit export. 
Maybe it should be better if Affinity would give a warning or wait for the export button to be available.

I'm glad you figured out how to achieve the result you need, but that still sounds like something is not right. In my opinion, that kind of human error should not be possible.

• Staff

@get in shape

Please can you make a new bug report thread, it should absolutely not be possible to export a pdf with elements missing just because you didn't wait for the size to finish calculating.

Please describe your document and it's content so we can try to replicate, but if we cannot then Serif can provide you with a private upload link in your but report thread so you can provide a file that shows the problem.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.