varlien

Is there a way to convert process colours to spot?

Hey guys,

I can't seem to find a way to convert process colours to spot in Affinity Publisher Beta. Not quite sure if there is a way yet.

When I'm doing a print job that has a die-line, perf, fold line, etc, I usually set them up as a spot colour. In InDesign I usually convert one of the colours (either cyan, magenta, yellow, black, or whatever) from Color Type: Process to Color Type: Spot and then assign a name to each (like die-line). 

Is there a way to do something like that in Affinity Publisher at the moment?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 11.43.03 AM.png

Why that? Do you think, you will find a spot color for every of the millions colors (256 x 256 x 256 x 256) you can define in CMYK?

What you can do, is simply assigning a new spot color to the element, which replaces the process color..

The other way round (spot –> process color) works by deselecting „Honour Spot Color“ during PDF output.

New Global Colour, spot, name it as you need to. Your screenshot looks okay.
In the Swatches panel, use Document to (hopefully) show the created swatch.
When exporting make sure Honour Spot Colours is ticked. Its the same process as ADesigner & I've used that quite a bit for contour cutting.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

On 9/7/2018 at 5:55 PM, mac_heibu said:

The other way round (spot –> process color) works by deselecting „Honour Spot Color“ during PDF output.

I think this is in fact not satisfactory as I REALLY like to have the option to change/convert a given spot colour to its correspondent global CMYK colour – so to speak on a colour swatch basis – within the swatches pallette.

Often when you're doing a print layout (here: in Publisher) you receive logos from a client which are to be used there and which (from their original "ideal" design) contain spot colours that you definitely will NOT use in printing then and in the future as it is all going to be pure CMYK (mainly because of economic reasons as spot colours tend to be quite expensive in everyday printing). To avoid any problems beforehand(!) when preparing PDFs for giving to the printer it has over the years been very useful/effective for me in InDesign to be able to change any spot colours to global CMYK from within the swatches pallette. I really DO wish this were possible in Publisher as well!