Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Print booklet is a must for me, but it seems they have it implemented to some degree (in Mac at least). When you go to print, look for these settings:

 

1116168917_ScreenShot2018-08-30at10_17_42AM.png.d5b6e59ab1b37b1f54798acca3eaae0a.png

 

As I too am interested in this feature, I will be glad to know your thoughts. And does anyone know the difference in "Book" versus "Booklet" in that setting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me on Mac it doesn't seem to work properly. And in honesty, I rarely print straight from my computer it would be good to be able to export it. On Mac I can make a pdf, on win on the other hand idk. 

On the image you can see that the spread just doesn't fit properly on the page

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 19.58.21.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got it to work for our needs, but you do have to put the paper size to match the sheets you are printing on, and make sure the scaling is set correctly (probaby 100% in most scenarios).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always found ID booklet very difficult to use and inaccurate especially when trying to print A5 double spreads on A4 paper (A5 is 0.5mm different from A4 folded in half) so I use Create Booklet. I have just tested AP in Create Booklet exporting as PDF (pages) and it works just fine. I don't have any connection to the company at all, but I do recommend this app, it is an absolute must have for me. So even if AP doesn't have a good booklet function, you will always be able to get perfect booklet layout and margin control using Create Booklet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"And does anyone know the difference in "Book" versus "Booklet" in that setting?"

In "booklet" it produces a single signature, that is to say if you print 12 pages on three sheets of paper you can simply fold the bundle in half, staple and lo! you have a booklet.

Now what you would hope for in Book is that it would print multiple signatures as that's how a book is bound - basically a stack of booklets sewn together. So if you had three sheets of paper per signature in would print pages 1-12 in the first stack of three, 13-24 in the next. Unfortunately AP seems to assume there is but one sheet per signature so you get pages 1-4 on one sheet (printed 4-1-2-3), 5-8 on the next, so it's a book, but with only one sheet per signature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll add my support for this, i.e. for Export to PDF > Booklet without going through a print dialogue. Rather than printing straight from Publisher, I need to be able to create a 60-page magazine in PDF format and email it to a professional print shop. I can currently do so easily in Serif PagePlus X9. The A4 double spread (two A5 pages on A4 landscape) emerges with pages in the correct sequence for printing and can be proofread on-screen as a PDF before it is sent away to be printed. This would be my most hoped-for export feature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Print booklet is a must for me, but it seems they have it implemented to some degree (in Mac at least). When you go to print, look for these settings:

Ah, thank you! Missed that when I was looking through the options. It doesn't seem to have as many options, but for my needs that works way better than InDesign's booklet tool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why oh why is it so darned difficult to print a booklet, I would love to see a tutorial on this. Surely technology can achieve this task !!:40_rage: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried and tried to print a 4 page A5 booklet so it prints on A4 paper and correctly organises the pages to be able to stack and fold in half in Affinity Publisher and it just won't work. 

I set up the document as A5, selected print booklet (paper size A4), double sided, scale 100% - it prints all the pages on one side of an A4

So instead I set up the document as A4. I selected Print booklet (paper size A4), double sided. It prints all 4 of the pages on one side of A4

In both cases, the view looks fine, but prints wrong.

What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to set up an A4 landscape document and put a center margin and design the two A5 sides manually?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know how you feel, I have been struggling with this for ages. Surely there is a way within the program to do exactly what we require. It is a basic requirement, whether it be a 4 page or 16 page book;et or whatever number of pages, it should be an automatic function to achieve this. I hope the developers are paying attention to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SprindigoJo said:

I have tried and tried to print a 4 page A5 booklet so it prints on A4 paper and correctly organises the pages to be able to stack and fold in half in Affinity Publisher and it just won't work. 

I set up the document as A5, selected print booklet (paper size A4), double sided, scale 100% - it prints all the pages on one side of an A4

So instead I set up the document as A4. I selected Print booklet (paper size A4), double sided. It prints all 4 of the pages on one side of A4

In both cases, the view looks fine, but prints wrong.

What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to set up an A4 landscape document and put a center margin and design the two A5 sides manually?

Have you got facing pages on? The print settings Garrettm30 recommended work just fine for me. Design with a page size of A5 and  facing pages on, so you have a spread for page one, a spread for pages two-three, and a spread for page four. Use the print settings to select an A4 paper size and a booklet layout, and Affinity should rearrange your pages to print with one and four on one side and two-three on the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, somnolentsurfer said:

Have you got facing pages on? The print settings Garrettm30 recommended work just fine for me. Design with a page size of A5 and  facing pages on, so you have a spread for page one, a spread for pages two-three, and a spread for page four. Use the print settings to select an A4 paper size and a booklet layout, and Affinity should rearrange your pages to print with one and four on one side and two-three on the other. 

Hi, yes. Done all of that. It was already set up as facing pages. Set everything up exactly as it should be and tried dabbling with every other setting too. Double sided printing just isn’t working, and no matter what setting I change, it prints my entire spread on one side of Paper, like thumbnails. I’ve tried every scale setting, every paper size, all the modes and double sided options. It prints it the same. When I export my pages as a pdf and print the booklet from Adobe acrobat, it prints perfectly, so the fault is with Affinity Publisher and it’s communication with my printer I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh. How strange. In fairness, I’ve not actually tried sending it directly to the printer. I’m just using the Print dialog to generate PDFs with the pages arranged for booklet printing.  Does that work for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed it at long last. Have just printed out an 8 page booklet. Start New Document, size A5, facing pages. Make 8 pages (see screenshot). Go to Print - Set doc page size as A4 - double sided - flip on short side. Click on print and out came 2 sheets of Af landscape, printed double sided with the pages in correct order !

 

Booklet set up.JPG

Print Setup.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention, dont chage your printer setup other than print quality and similar, just print with A Pub settings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bph said:

Managed it at long last. Have just printed out an 8 page booklet. Start New Document, size A5, facing pages. Make 8 pages (see screenshot). Go to Print - Set doc page size as A4 - double sided - flip on short side. Click on print and out came 2 sheets of Af landscape, printed double sided with the pages in correct order !

 

Booklet set up.JPG

Print Setup.JPG

Glad that’s worked for you. That’s exactly what I’ve done, but still no joy. I might leave my printer and pc details in the bug section, because it might be something to do with that. I can’t understand why else it’s not working when I’ve done exactly the same as this (not messed with my printer settings either, just as you have, used Afpub print dialogue.

frustrating! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, somnolentsurfer said:

Huh. How strange. In fairness, I’ve not actually tried sending it directly to the printer. I’m just using the Print dialog to generate PDFs with the pages arranged for booklet printing.  Does that work for you?

If I print to PDF using the facing pages spread, it generates a PDF with the facing pages on one page together. So when you print the PDF, you get two of your pages scaled down to fit side by side on one page, which is no good either! edit: what I mean is, it won’t print it as a booklet, it prints your first page large, next two scaled down side by side.

 I just think I’ll export my spread as PDF pages and then use Adobe Acrobats print dialogue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SprindigoJo said:

Glad that’s worked for you. That’s exactly what I’ve done, but still no joy. I might leave my printer and pc details in the bug section, because it might be something to do with that. I can’t understand why else it’s not working when I’ve done exactly the same as this (not messed with my printer settings either, just as you have, used Afpub print dialogue.

frustrating! 

Sprindigo Can't explain why you are not able to print. I can confirm my printer settings correspond to  bph's printer settings and definitely works. However I would add that I don't use my  printer's default margin setting when setting up the initial A5 document but instead manually set them at the document setup stage. You could do that afterwards by going to File -  Spread Setup [ use  Ctrl Alt + Shift + P  in Windows] and see if that helps

Printer settings                                                                                                                                                                    

398140875_printbooklet.PNG.5a872380152f3e744f80943cf3e7ab27.PNG   

Pman

Margin Settings set manually Do NOT click on Retrieve Margin from Printer

792449186_printbookletmargins.PNG.9b830a67caece34ca87a2602a37a1e09.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all works for me but is pretty useless without bleed 


MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009)

8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor

Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Mainly use Affinity Designer & Photo 1.6 Publisher 1.7.0.145 Beta

 

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone please help e, I am begging, 3 days and all frustration, FLIP OVER,  FLIP  UP, FLIP UNDER, printer dialogue conflicts with affinity dalogue when it comes to orientation, please help.  Here are my screenshots, if anyone recognises anything at all that would be helpful I would appreciate it.  I am pulling out my hair, buckest of coffee, 54 pages later, and xara is looking attractive right now but I don't want it really.  I love indesign, never had spreadsheet printing problems like this, but really prefer affinity...Off to gulp more coffee......ready to pack it in.... Oh, it is an 8 page A5 booklet Portrait  printed in landscape orientation.

Capture.PNG

Capture  2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG


Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PLEASE SEE ''PRINT BOOKLET A WORK IN PROGRESS'' on another thread. Sorry for the cross posting but I hope something helps 


Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×