Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mystrawberrymonkey

Ohhh My Strawberry Monkey

Recommended Posts

Hi all, hope all is well, its been a while since I posted any updates. I've finally completed the first of many children's picture books, you may have seen a copy a while back, but I wasn't happy with the end results from the printers and there has been many, many changes. I have also designed the website in Affinity Designer which contains games and free activities for schools and parents.

 

Ohhh My Strawberry Monkey is the series of books and are stories of friendship based around a cute, pink, lovable, but somewhat clumsy monkey who will certainly cause a few chuckles.

 

The website is mystrawberrymonkey.com and you can find our first paperback here on Amazon

 

If you have grandkids, kids, nieces or nephews go check this out! 

 

 

Allan Thompson

P1190987.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 13.24.04.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 15.34.33.png


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MattP said:

Superb work, Allan! You certainly can't argue with those reviews on Amazon! :D

:ph34r:


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eejits said:

Excellent work loon! Glad to see it taking hold and strating to gain traction. Well deserved....!

 

George

Thanks George, still a way to go, but progressing in the right direction. Still waiting to see the 'little book of eejits' could see it going similar to the Mr Men series...


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MEB said:

Nice to see work done in Affinity on real world. Thanks for sharing Allan^_^ Great work on the site and book!

So... when can we expect the second?

 

Thanks Miguel. The second is already in production and ideas for the third are in my head. Hopefully at least 3 books before 2018 is out. Just waiting for publisher to make my life easier...


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mystrawberrymonkey said:

Thanks George, still a way to go, but progressing in the right direction. Still waiting to see the 'little book of eejits' could see it going similar to the Mr Men series...

Good luck though. At least it IS heading in the right direction. How you getting on with publishing? Do you have a publisher?

 

Yeah, I'd love to get a 'wee eejits' series out. Plenty o' characters in my sketchbook to work with (I did start something alooong time ago) but I struggle with the stories/format/ideas.

All the best my friend,

George


[eejits: a curious collection o' creatures]

http://www.eejits-online.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2018 at 8:34 AM, eejits said:

Good luck though. At least it IS heading in the right direction. How you getting on with publishing? Do you have a publisher?

 

Yeah, I'd love to get a 'wee eejits' series out. Plenty o' characters in my sketchbook to work with (I did start something alooong time ago) but I struggle with the stories/format/ideas.

All the best my friend,

George

 

Thanks...

 

I chose not to pursue a publisher, didn't like what I read with their submission guidelines. Plus I'm so much further ahead then I would be with them and I feel penalised by them and some picture book bloggers by choosing to go down this path. It's 2018, we have Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, there is no reason besides the cashflow why anyone needs a publisher. Just some patience, hustle and hard work and all will be good. However, if Ladybird came along then we'll talk...Plus I'll be in a much stronger position if I hit some seriously good sales.

 

Also, I'm not going to give up control to just anyone, I've worked seriously hard on this, the website, the content on the website, the book, design, copy, editing, proof-reading, the iMessage stickers, social media etc etc. What would involve maybe 5/10 people and many more years, I've learnt and created by myself all in one app....


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. If you are able to create a quality product, then why not have all the control and market it & sell it yourself. Of course, it's a lot, lot harder but the rewards are greater, I feel. Been the same way with my card game and if I ever do books, I'll travel the same path as yourself. Inspiring stuff. Keep going loon!

George

(Bit o' Gary Vee coming out o' ye there!)


[eejits: a curious collection o' creatures]

http://www.eejits-online.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Allan (As usual)

 

Like yourself I too am waiting for Publisher but could not wait any longer and will be publishing a book that has been done on Serif PagePlus X9.

 

Would have liked to be on the AP but can't have everything. Perhaps the next one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, eejits said:

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. If you are able to create a quality product, then why not have all the control and market it & sell it yourself. Of course, it's a lot, lot harder but the rewards are greater, I feel. Been the same way with my card game and if I ever do books, I'll travel the same path as yourself. Inspiring stuff. Keep going loon!

George

(Bit o' Gary Vee coming out o' ye there!)

 

Ohhh my, so much in common. Love the mindset.

 

Naturally, yes there are benefits to being with a publisher and if anyone publishing a book was offered a good deal, consider it. I like to do things differently. Your book is coming very soon! make sure you shout me out in the acknowledgements....

 

Look at what Affinity, @MattP and the other cool dudes have done, whilst they may have had a head start on Windows with the Serif range, coming over to macOS and iOS is big and they have done an amazing job, taking on the so called big guns (I do love Adobe BTW, Audition, Character Animator is cool) changing up the game and having their rightful success. By the end of 2018 we will have a stable Affinity Designer on iOS and Publisher. It's inspiring, many have gone on to create amazing things against the grain, against the norm, despite the noise and negativity, but its all fuel, its what drives us on. 


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FriendDesign said:

Wow! Cool man!! :D

 

Thank you!

 

11 hours ago, Sam Neil said:

Great work Allan (As usual)

 

Like yourself I too am waiting for Publisher but could not wait any longer and will be publishing a book that has been done on Serif PagePlus X9.

 

Would have liked to be on the AP but can't have everything. Perhaps the next one.

 

Yep, had to get on with what I had. I'm sure we are really close to seeing Publisher!


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohhh My. Super excited to have my children’s picture book reviewed. All created in Strawberry Monkeys favourite app. Affinity Designer. So happy to see this moving in the right direction!

“Thoroughly recommended” by Club Hub UK - Kids Activities 

 

Check out this great review of Strawberry Monkey from Club Hub UK below1f447.png

 

https://clubhubuk.co.uk/ohhh-strawberry-monkey-club-hub-uk-review/ 


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonjour, mystrawberrymonkey

Je n'ai pas d'enfants (désolé pour ce beau livre).

Mais le singe rose ressemble à un shamallow et moi! J'aime le shamallow.

Les vrais, les authentiques. Fait avec du mucilage de guimauve. Hmmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Allan, there's no stopping you now!:D:D:D

 

Great work there lad, your world domination starts here...

Twitter-Check

Club Hub-Check

Amazon-Check

Ebay-Next

Netmums-Next

Cbeebies-Next

NETFLIX!!!

 

Take a deep breath, smile and then bask in that warm glow; that some toddler, somewhere, way-past-bed-time will not go to sleep until that book is read by Gran or Grandad for the third time!:P

 

Or that poor primary schoolteacher who is getting badgered with "Miss, Miss...when is the next book coming out and will you read it to us when it arrives?":15_yum:

 

So I'm not putting on the thumb screws at all. In fact it's a massive pat on the back.

 

peter

 

PS

 

Move over Peppa Pig...the revolution has started and it is strawberry coloured!B|

 


MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

 

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2018 at 10:35 PM, peter said:

Well done Allan, there's no stopping you now!:D:D:D

 

Great work there lad, your world domination starts here...

Twitter-Check

Club Hub-Check

Amazon-Check

Ebay-Next

Netmums-Next

Cbeebies-Next

NETFLIX!!!

 

Take a deep breath, smile and then bask in that warm glow; that some toddler, somewhere, way-past-bed-time will not go to sleep until that book is read by Gran or Grandad for the third time!:P

 

Or that poor primary schoolteacher who is getting badgered with "Miss, Miss...when is the next book coming out and will you read it to us when it arrives?":15_yum:

 

So I'm not putting on the thumb screws at all. In fact it's a massive pat on the back.

 

peter

 

PS

 

Move over Peppa Pig...the revolution has started and it is strawberry coloured!B|

 

 

 

Thanks Peter, don't forget instagram! Netmums is coming!

 

The revolution has begun! :224_monkey:

 

 


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allan,

 

Sorry I'm late to the party but congratulations on publishing your own book, that is something that many people dream about doing but for some reason or another they never get around to it. I love the type (or font) on your My Strawberry Monkey logo. Is that your own writing/drawing or is it an actual font? It is great to see what people have made using Affinity's products!

 

Hokusai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2018 at 0:51 AM, Hokusai said:

Allan,

 

Sorry I'm late to the party but congratulations on publishing your own book, that is something that many people dream about doing but for some reason or another they never get around to it. I love the type (or font) on your My Strawberry Monkey logo. Is that your own writing/drawing or is it an actual font? It is great to see what people have made using Affinity's products!

 

Hokusai

 

Thank you Hokusai,

 

Yes, I agree we all have our own little passions, I cut down my hours at work and just studied, read, researched and put  in a lot of hard work, along with passion, determination and the desire anyone can achieve their dreams.

 

The font is one I downloaded, can't remember, at some point I may create my own.

 

 

Allan


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I'd share this as well...

 

A great blog post for parents on why it's important to let children make mistakes...FT Strawberry Monkey.

 

https://senresourcesblog.com/2018/03/13/why-children-need-to-make-mistakes/

 

Allan Thompson


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2018 at 0:51 AM, Hokusai said:

I love the type (or font) on your My Strawberry Monkey logo. Is that your own writing/drawing or is it an actual font?

 

21 hours ago, mystrawberrymonkey said:

The font is one I downloaded, can't remember, at some point I may create my own.

 

That font looks mostly like Baby Kruffy but the 'M' is fatter (perhaps borrowed from Oogie Boogie).


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 • Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.76 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.0.35 • iOS 11.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super excited. :D

After much work and many changes, the 2nd book in the 'Ohhh My Strawberry Monkey'  series is now available on Amazon. Really happy with the feedback and progress of the first book so far, some amazing reviews coming in from mums on social media. Now to get working on the third! (hurry up publisher):ph34r:

If you have kids or grandkids, nieces, nephews go grab a copy here! 

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1999708032

IMG_5467.jpg


About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter:@mystrawmonkey  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com 

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mystrawberrymonkey said:

After much work and many changes, the 2nd book in the 'Ohhh My Strawberry Monkey'  series is now available on Amazon.

Ohhh, excellent! :D

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 • Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.76 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.0.35 • iOS 11.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×