• Announcements

    • Patrick Connor

      Forum Upgrade   07/12/2017

      Welcome to the upgraded Affinity Forums. This change will allow us to add more features and block spam better. If you have any problems using these forums as a result of the upgrade, please post in the the similarly named News forum thread.
chrisA

No further development?

16 posts in this topic

It is nearly 2 months since the last new Beta of Affinity Photo. It seems to me that there is no development anymore. New features would be nice, but at least I would expect the bugs to be fixed. 

 

Has everyone, who was working on Affinity Photo, really left the company or is assigned to other projects?

Groverdet likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi chrisA,

Affinity Beta for Mac is also being worked and there will be news soon (including new features) but we are currently focusing on the iPad betas to fix/solve issues reported by users. This is the first release on iOS and we want to ensure most issues are solved and there's feature parity between the two platforms before we add even more features to the Mac/win version.

Nero likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mac_heibu said:

Can’t believe! 2 month with no new beta, and someone asks „No further development?"

Software development is not cooking a tomato soup. Normally, with other software, you don’t have new builds within one ore two years!

 

Absolutely Mac_Heibu can't agree more; As a professional software Engineer  myself of too many decades to admit to, I say getting the kind of intimate commercial software development beta collaboration with the public is just not seen; it's just awesome.

 

This kind of beta test collaboration with the public is close to open source development, with the exception that Affinity's actual software development is closed, as it should be.

 

I have upmost respect with the Affinity team and now with increased software product development streams I'm still impressed by the team as they take on more and more. This I say as someone who knows; trust me.

 

Remember peeps it's a two way process that we enthusiastic owners of Affinity products are prepared to be beta testers ... and yes testers that give feedback, i.e. we give as well as receive freely. I would rather spend time using the app with warts so I help in a small way to iron out those warts rather than being full of entitlement as I have no entitlement, I'm grateful for what I get. 

 

Keep going Team :-D


Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way now how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being myself a software developer for some decades, I know quite well the difference between tomato soup (I am quite experienced in cooking, too). 

 

When you start a beta-phase of a new release, you are going to several iterations to get a stable product. The meaning of a beta phase is to asked customers for feat-back. Doing a beta is getting help from customers on testing without having to pay for it. If there is a communication between customers and development team, this is a win-win-stituation. But if there is no response to reported errors in form of a improved version, the beta-phase becomes meaningless.

 

Although Apple does not allow for a software release cycle of more than a year. Every year there is a new version of MacOS and Apple doesn't hesitate to include breaking changes. This is different form Windows, where you can use still use years old software. So, if not at least some developers still make the necessary fixes, we might loose our beloved software after upgrading to High Sierra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the request for dedicating some energy to the development of a new version for Affinity photo. I understand that some resources are dealing with the version for iPad but that is not the audience that will value at best Affinity photo. The photographers that spend time rendering with their photos use a full computer and if they do not see progress they will just switch to other software. I am testing also Luminar and I have been impressed by some of its new features. If Affinity does not innovate fast, customers will start switching ....

Georgegrilt and LCamachoDesign like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chrisA said:

Being myself a software developer for some decades, I know quite well the difference between tomato soup (I am quite experienced in cooking, too). 

 

When you start a beta-phase of a new release, you are going to several iterations to get a stable product. The meaning of a beta phase is to asked customers for feat-back. Doing a beta is getting help from customers on testing without having to pay for it. If there is a communication between customers and development team, this is a win-win-stituation. But if there is no response to reported errors in form of a improved version, the beta-phase becomes meaningless.

 

Although Apple does not allow for a software release cycle of more than a year. Every year there is a new version of MacOS and Apple doesn't hesitate to include breaking changes. This is different form Windows, where you can use still use years old software. So, if not at least some developers still make the necessary fixes, we might loose our beloved software after upgrading to High Sierra.

 

Just a minute!

Blaming Serif for the wrong reasons is not constructive at all !

The valid criticism, is that the iPad version ended up a top secret project...

 

Regarding High Sierra, breaking changes and all this stuff,

HAVE YOU ACTUALLY SPOTTED A BREAKING CHANGE?

 

Because if you have not, I would say that your behaviour is childish.

(If you have spotted bugs, have you reported them?)

 

According to MY TESTING on High Sierra Beta2+, all seems FINE.

See the screenshot.

This document, was created on my iPad, and opened on High Sierra with 1.6 β

 

BTW, Apple is not Microsoft.

Dropping support of 32-bit architectures 8-10 years after the cease of their production, is not exactly a "breaking change".

It is an expected, and welcome, change.

 

affinity-1.6-high-sierra.png

mac_heibu likes this

mfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chrisA said:

Being myself a software developer for some decades, I know quite well the difference between tomato soup (I am quite experienced in cooking, too). 

 

When you start a beta-phase of a new release, you are going to several iterations to get a stable product. The meaning of a beta phase is to asked customers for feat-back. Doing a beta is getting help from customers on testing without having to pay for it. If there is a communication between customers and development team, this is a win-win-stituation. But if there is no response to reported errors in form of a improved version, the beta-phase becomes meaningless.

 

Although Apple does not allow for a software release cycle of more than a year. Every year there is a new version of MacOS and Apple doesn't hesitate to include breaking changes. This is different form Windows, where you can use still use years old software. So, if not at least some developers still make the necessary fixes, we might loose our beloved software after upgrading to High Sierra.

Hi Chris,

 

Yes I concede you have a point about feedback coming back to the users and there has been little for a while unless Staff members are asked directly and they have given responses to indicate things are still going on. We can only trust what they say is sincere and I have not seen anything to counter this so far; by the way I have upgraded to MacOs High Sierra and have tried for example Focus stacking (sorry merging) which seems to work. I think the title of your thread is a little harsh but perhaps that's the point to get a discussion going :-D

 

Cheers

Reggie 

 

 

Groverdet likes this

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way now how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:08 AM, andy2005 said:

I second the request for dedicating some energy to the development of a new version for Affinity photo. I understand that some resources are dealing with the version for iPad but that is not the audience that will value at best Affinity photo. The photographers that spend time rendering with their photos use a full computer and if they do not see progress they will just switch to other software. I am testing also Luminar and I have been impressed by some of its new features. If Affinity does not innovate fast, customers will start switching ....

Affinity Photo for iPad brings a lot of exposure, new users, and longer term commercial viability, which is great for all of us. Obviously a professional designer or photographer needs primarily the desktop software to do his/her job, the mobile counterparts are just a "nice to have" thing, so we need to have some patience... That said, I think that knowing which features will come in 1.6 would be very helpful in planning what to do in terms of software investment.

Luminar is a very promising software, especially now that's coming for Windows. It isn't a full replacement for Affinity Photo or Photoshop, not even close, but it's a nice tool to have if dealing with digital development. They just need a couple of features (which are listed as coming soon) to take over the RAW workflow for most modest photographers. I'm definitely buying it once released. :)

andy2005 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

Affinity Photo for iPad brings a lot of exposure, new users, and longer term commercial viability, which is great for all of us. Obviously a professional designer or photographer needs primarily the desktop software to do his/her job, the mobile counterparts are just a "nice to have" thing, so we need to have some patience... That said, I think that knowing which features will come in 1.6 would be very helpful in planning what to do in terms of software investment.

Luminar is a very promising software, especially now that's coming for Windows. It isn't a full replacement for Affinity Photo or Photoshop, not even close, but it's a nice tool to have if dealing with digital development. They just need a couple of features (which are listed as coming soon) to take over the RAW workflow for most modest photographers. I'm definitely buying it once released. :)

 

As a long time pro photographer and designer, the iPad version is not just 'nice to have'. It's fantastic! Feature equal versions for my iPad Pro and MBP is one of the best features ever and insures that Affinity Photo will be one of my primary tools. I can do lots of paying work primarily on the iPad and drawing and editing is really sweet with the iPad Pro 12.9" + Apple Pencil. They did a fantastic job on the GUI! I sure hope Affinity is planning an iPad version of Designer!

Jens Krebs and Nickfranken like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi deva,
Thanks for your words. You may want to take a look at this, courtesy of @MattP (from the dev team).
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

 

Oh Sweet! Looks fairly far along! Hope to see it soon! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi deva,
Thanks for your words. You may want to take a look at this, courtesy of @MattP (from the dev team).
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Can you believe I had never seen the UI of Affinity Photo/Designer for iPad before looking at your link? I don't have, and will never have, an iPad so I never bothered to look. Now that I did I see a lot of really nice things, especially the collapsed studio tabs. Will this come to the desktop version? It would be a really huge help when working on smaller screens like a Surface Pro. In fact, the whole mobile UI could be available on the desktop to use on hybrid tablets like the just mentioned Surface Pro. What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think too the previous fast pace of newer beta releases and updates, prior to adding the Windows and iPad versions of the apps, got everyone spoiled. That was very impressive, but it's also very understandable with the expanded product releases that things need to be crossed checked and make sure the code base functions properly across the various platforms now. I think the programmers are doing a great job and encourage all to sit tight and wait for the goodies. I'm sure the programmers want to add to these programs prowess as much as we all want to see that happen too. Meanwhile, there's still so much I learn all the time that I can do with the existing builds. Keep up the fantastic work guys and gals! and Thanks! – Timber

billtils, MEB and Jens Krebs like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the 1.6 demo now for a moth as a pro. That means at least 5 hours of retouching, compositing, color-grading etc with this piece of software. And it is great, I had none issue's with it!!! I sold y iPad Pro to get the new one, but it is still delayed, so I still have to wait to use the iPad version for my pro work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now