You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Derwent Brass Band "Diversity" logo/illo for their latest CD

retrograde

Hi all, here is a recent client project and my first logo/illustration piece done in Designer. It's for the CD cover of the Derwent Brass, a brass band in the UK. The title of the disc is "Diversity" The idea here was to try to suggest or display some of the many instruments in a stylistic way that are included in the band as a grouping that forms the backdrop for the CD's title banner.

My usual process was adhered to here, approved sketch followed by vector buildup of elements on separated layers. See below for screenshots. I made use of the "erase" blend mode to hide certain areas which worked perfectly. Each letter was "skewed" individually, to conform to the contours of the banner. Colour palette was kept to a minimum of blues and golds and a heavy black outline style was used to delineate and visually connect each element. As usual, it was a delight to create in Designer.

I am looking forward to the up-coming distort and warp tools mentioned in the "road map" to be able to do more of this kind of work with type in Designer.

:)

post-305-0-92147200-1419730990_thumb.jpg

post-305-0-71808600-1419731003_thumb.jpg

post-305-0-51003000-1419731014_thumb.jpg

post-305-0-43800200-1419731048_thumb.jpg

You just can't beat skill! In lieu of a a warp tool you made it happen but i sure that warp tool would have save you some time! Hell, man fabulous work as usual!

Thanks guys, yeah it was a little daunting not having it but I was surprised how smoothly it went. Fortunately it wasn't too difficult of a shape to conform to. The font didn't originally have all of those little horizontal lines either so I had to put them in manually as well... all's well that ends well.  ;) Blend tool please?!

Having said all that I can't wait to see how the team is going to implement the warping and distort options.

Awesome stuff. I'm amazed at the quality of the text without the use of a 'text on a path' tool. It looks friggin' amazing. Well done.

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Thanks Chris.

That's the beauty of designer, you can do something tight like this, with type, balanced shapes and subtle gradients or something all grungy and textured and fine art-y or a combination of both. It's very refreshing, and this is just the beginning... 

Beautiful! It always awesome to see the final product in the physical world. :)