You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Typography Dialog turned into a Panel

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I see this occasionally, the All Alternates and Stylistic Sets seem to be blank unless both are opened.

Is it font dependent? Your screenshots look as though they’re using our old friend EB Garamond.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

When the font contains no alternatives/stylistic sets, I think it would be good to put that information in (grey) text rather than be blank and therefore confusing 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

19 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

When the font contains no alternatives/stylistic sets, I think it would be good to put that information in (grey) text rather than be blank and therefore confusing 

If ‘All Alternates’ and/or ‘Stylistic Sets’ have no entries, shouldn’t they simply be omitted altogether? Otherwise you’re going to have a panel full of headings for ‘Character Variants’, ‘Contextual Alternates’, ‘Stylistic Alternates’, etc, with ‘Nothing to see here’ (or equivalent) in each case.

Alfred spacer.png

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If ‘All Alternates’ and/or ‘Stylistic Sets’ have no entries, shouldn’t they simply be omitted altogether? Otherwise you’re going to have a panel full of headings for ‘Character Variants’, ‘Contextual Alternates’, ‘Stylistic Alternates’, etc, with ‘Nothing to see here’ (or equivalent) in each case.

I opine that it is always better to have a definitive statement that something that could have content in it is, in fact, in this particular case empty, rather than no comment at all. Otherwise one cannot be congruently certain of what is the situation.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

23 minutes ago, Alfred said:

[…] Otherwise you’re going to have a panel full of headings for ‘Character Variants’, ‘Contextual Alternates’, ‘Stylistic Alternates’, etc, with ‘Nothing to see here’ (or equivalent) in each case.

Doesn't ticking the Hide irrelevant features checkbox achieve the wanted result?
(Best of all, it only presents options relevant for the selected characters.)

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

38 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

@Old Bruce Which font is that with? I've never seen that myself - the section has options if it's present for me so it's likely specific to certain fonts.

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Is it font dependent? Your screenshots look as though they’re using our old friend EB Garamond.

The long-tailed Q is what led me to that conclusion.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
On 4/19/2024 at 12:27 PM, Petar Petrenko said:

Please, make the Typography panel resizable vertically. Now it has fixed height.

On 4/19/2024 at 2:03 PM, Komatös said:

The Typography menu item is available twice in Affinity Photo. Once in the main branch Window, the other under the TEXT menu item.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:48 PM, MikeTO said:

I'm sure this is on your to-do list, but just in case, Typography isn't listed in Settings > Shortcuts.

These are all now logged with us, thanks!

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Alfred and @MikeTO

It does seem to be font dependant, with EB Garamond I see one problem and with Adobe Jensen Pro I see a different problem.

@Patrick Connor, the problem is that the fonts (EB Garamond and Adobe Jensen Pro) do have the Alternatives/Stylistic sets it is just that the blank area occurs if everything is collapsed. Once they are both expanded I see the choices. If only one choice is expanded I don't see the choices, the blank area is the proper size to hold the information.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

with Adobe Jensen Pro I see a different problem

I don’t have Adobe Jenson Pro. What different problem do you see there?

Alfred spacer.png

29 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It does seem to be font dependant, with EB Garamond I see one problem and with Adobe Jensen Pro I see a different problem.

I can't duplicate the blank section problem with EB Garamond but now that you've mentioned it's with collapsed sections I played around and saw the following issue with Character Variants. It didn't open this way, it was just after some fiddling. So there's something going on here.

It might be due to wrapping on the samples - the char variant samples seem to be wrapped to the line below the radio buttons - so they're taking up more space than they should. Also in the right screenshot, some of the samples run off the edge of the panel. That seems to be causing the scrollbar to be drawn on the right side of the scroll box - widening the panel allows the scrollbar to move back to the centre.

As has been reported before, the panel doesn't always open. I thought it was only after loading a 2.4 preset which is definitely a trigger, but it happens rather regularly. I've also seen it show a shortened panel name even when it's floating and is the only tab.

Screenshot2024-04-22at10_11_56AM.thumb.png.b10f41835a508855a244773294239473.png Screenshot2024-04-22at10_20_38AM.thumb.png.4103bdd4f90bbee1871e7fc3e488d073.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On Mac, when you horizontally resize the Typography panel, you would expect that the extra room available is used for better display of the highlighted text. That's not the case though. Right now, there's no reason to make horizontally resizing possible. It doesn't bring anything.

image.thumb.png.ed2eb8442daa7fcda311733ac114e32c.png

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• Staff

The issue "[macOS] Typography Panel: Hide irrelevant features checkbox is missing padding on the left hand margin" (REF: AF-2477) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2415".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.

The Typography panel shrinks when the Typography option is repeatedly clicked in the Context toolbar or Character panel...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

I'm not seeing the shrinking panel issue on Sonoma.

One minor point and this isn't new in the beta so it doesn't belong here but I'm point it out just in case any more work is done on the panel layout, the samples in the Character > Typography panel are misaligned and are white in dark mode instead of black - they're black in the Typography panel.

Screenshot2024-04-25at1_23_00PM.png.88df3b203a0925d2d82c327c3ff64dab.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

4 hours ago, MikeTO said:

One minor point and this isn't new in the beta so it doesn't belong here

Hi @MikeTO, the main reason for highlighting the behaviour in this thread was simply because the Typography feature becoming a studio panel is new to the 2.5 Beta so it seemed (to me at least) to be the appropriate place to raise it…

I appreciate this behaviour has been reported with other studio panels in the past so the behaviour itself isn’t new but that behaviour has been related to specific studio panels in previous Beta or Release versions. I’m sure if I’ve posted this incorrectly in the wrong forum someone in the Moderation team will move it to the correct forum… 

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

the samples in the Character > Typography panel are misaligned and are white in dark mode instead of black

They’re also too close together. Each of the ß and À characters in that screenshot collides with the characters in the line immediately above.

Alfred spacer.png

I'm not seeing the shrinking panel issue on Sonoma.

Out of interest, which font has those particular Character Variants, i.e., 47/0, 1, 2 and 3?

24 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Out of interest, which font has those particular Character Variants, i.e., 47/0, 1, 2 and 3?

That's EB Garamond 08 Regular.

Here's another one (Garava) that illustrates the alignment issues.

Screenshot2024-04-25at7_22_51PM.png.c5a79e82ff1e3459945b1f89a9f479f9.png

• Staff
7 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi @MikeTO, the main reason for highlighting the behaviour in this thread was simply because the Typography feature becoming a studio panel is new to the 2.5 Beta so it seemed (to me at least) to be the appropriate place to raise it…

I appreciate this behaviour has been reported with other studio panels in the past so the behaviour itself isn’t new but that behaviour has been related to specific studio panels in previous Beta or Release versions. I’m sure if I’ve posted this incorrectly in the wrong forum someone in the Moderation team will move it to the correct forum… 

I appreciate this is a grey/gray area but when a function has been refactored (like many existing publisher panels and this new panel) I think it's fair to assume that all old bugs might have been fixed as it's effectively new code. So if an existing bug does exist in an area where lots of changes have occurred and were specifically asking what you see, I'm ok with a bit of duplication. The reverse is true too. A long standing issue being tidied up in the refactoring may be worth mentioning too.

The time not to mention existing bugs is when we haven't said there's been a refactoring or new functionality so nobody is surprised that nothing has changed

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

47 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I appreciate this is a grey/gray area but when a function has been refactored (like many existing publisher panels and this new panel) I think it's fair to assume that all old bugs might have been fixed as it's effectively new code. So if an existing bug does exist in an area where lots of changes have occurred and were specifically asking what you see, I'm ok with a bit of duplication. The reverse is true too. A long standing issue being tidied up in the refactoring may be worth mentioning too.

The time not to mention existing bugs is when we haven't said there's been a refactoring or new functionality so nobody is surprised that nothing has changed

Thanks for clarifying...

12 minutes ago, anto said:

On Mac each click on the icon "fi" changes the height of the panel

Hi @anto,

I reported that as well here yesterday...